Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Administrator
24,826 Posts
The NAV on my 2017 RTL-E reboots for no reason. It will reboot mostly 5 to 6 times within 10-15 minutes.
Really a pain when you're using bluetooth and your cell.
I took it to the dealer and they kept it for 3 or 4 days. When I picked it up they had done a "hard reset/reboot" and said they need to see it reboot before they can replace it. Impossible I said.
It's been 3 or 4 weeks since I left the dealer and it's rebooting again.

It also drops the blue tooth connection to my cell.

Anyone out there have or had this problem?
I've called American Honda and I'm waiting on a call back.
If you can safely make a video of it rebooting, do so. If it doesn't happen frequently or predictably enough, you might need to use a suction cup mount on your sunroof to hold a camera that can capture the infotainment system for longer periods. Mine has rebooted 2-3 times over the last 18 months an d 15K miles.

· Administrator
24,826 Posts
At 10k I took it in for an oil change. Wow! the price went up from $40 to $60!
I asked they check the 2 front windows as they pop and are starting to be slow. The tech did not hear/notice the pop but replaced the tracks. All is good.

I told them the NAV was still rebooting and that it ticks me off when they say "they must see it". Now, for the rest of the story. They say iPhone has a problem with the blue tooth and it makes the NAV reboot. REALLY!!?? So we un-paired my phone. So far it's been about 2 months and the NAV has not rebooted. Just an fyi. My hearing aids do blue tooth to the iPhone. Each hearing aid at times will drop the connection. So Honda may be on the right track. We'll see.

I told the tech you would think there would be onboard logs that would tell you what's going on. He said - "there are logs. But when you turn the truck off the logs are erased." That's not smart. Why not just overwrite? Any way, the tech suggested if the NAV reboots again and if I have time, call the dealership, explain, and drive over and let them check the logs and DO NOT turn the truck off. Sounds like a plan!

The walk away lock still fails 10% of the time. More of that later.
On Bluetooth dropouts... My iPhone 4S would experience occasional, momentary audio dropouts when playing through Bluetooth. Neither my iPhone 6 Plus or 6S Plus have. None have ever "dropped" a Bluetooth connection.

On logs... My Ridgeline shows ignition cycle logs for the last month and software logs since last year. I don't know whether or not these logs contain data that is useful at the dealership level, though.

On Walk Away Auto Lock... Honda cautions that mobile devices may cause interference. :)

Attachments

· Administrator
24,826 Posts
to make a long story shorter...
my 2018 RTL E did the same thing. After much frustration it was linked to my iPhone and an app from State Farm, Drive Safe and Save.
Removed the app from phone, re-paired the bluetooth hands free and not a single problem since (about 4 months now).
The long story included replacing the infotainment head, leaving with the tech overnight (he drove it home no problems), unpairing my iPhone from hands free, my wife's phone creating the same problem when she was in the car, removing her SF app, re-pairing...NO PROBLEMS NOW!
Interesting. Before State Farm switched to an app-based utility, they used an OBD II dongle that was known to cause problems. I find it strange when insurance companies provide devices that plug in to a connector that manufacturers state is for diagnostic use only and is not to be used for other purposes. Doing so increases their exposure to liability which is the primary thing that insurance companies work to avoid!

· Administrator
24,826 Posts
May be it is a time to see a lawyer.
Not yet. Your next step is to file a claim with the National Center for Dispute Settlement. The NCDS is a neutral third party who will listen to both you and Honda and reach a decision. If you accept the NCDS's decision, Honda will abide by it.

Read "Customer Satisfaction" starting on page 2 of your Ridgeline's Warranty Booklet.

If you do not accept the NCDS's decision, then you can get a lawyer, but at that point it is almost always cheaper, quicker, and less stressful to sell or trade in the vehicle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.