Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying my first RL and I'm wondering if the NAV screen is good for anything other than the NAV functions. i.e. can I use it to control XM or see other vehicle functions?

GM has similar functionality on their nav interfaces, so I thought I'd ask around before venturing into the stealership.

·
Registered
626 Posts
You can talk to the Navi too -- you can tell it to do things, like change the temperature in the car, or change the radio station. Or tell it inappropriate things and see how it interprets you! :D

The Navi also has two users for keeping track of addresses -- you can even password-protect it if you don't want anyone else to see your addresses (including things that aren't in your address book but were places to which you navigated recently). I personally haven't found any use for this, but it might be useful for people who share the truck.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I have had GM, Inifinity, Lincoln, and one pioneer aftermarket nav.
Honda by far is WAY better than all the above listed manufauctures!
Its DVD based with a separate dvd player as to not take up CD space in the player.. not to mention it's way cool to have the Nav screen open up and take the cd's!
If I did not have the Honda touchscreen Nav... (made by Alpine) I would go with a pioneer. It spoiled me but was also a TV/ dvd/ anything you wanted it to be player

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Welcome aboard mr99rock! As DoctorJ said, yes, there are additional functions on the Nav screen. You can not play DVDs or MP3s. On XM radio, you can see the title and artist as well as the channel name and number. There are 2 groups of 6 pre-sets that you can scroll through using the steering wheel controls, the panel, or the buttons. You can also select channel number by using the voice command. If you are accustomed to the XM SkyFi2 as I am, the Ridgeline XM interface is not nearly as good and is the only thing that I am disappointed about with my Ridgeline. I miss some the advanced features of the SkyFi2 such as favorite artist or song. Overall, the Ridgeline's NAVI equipped system is the most feature laden and best performing OEM system that I have ever used or seen.
Search around in the Mobile Electronics and the Mod's, Installs and How-To's forum. There is lots of very good information there that you may find interesting.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
The OEM NAVI screen is large and clear. You can tell it Go Home or Find Nearest ATM or Restaurant and it will plot your course. Calculation is snappy and it tells you distance and estimated time of arrival.

NAVI also leaves you the option of adding the OEM back up camera and having it display on the dash. I highly recommend this option. I've written a lot about it and posted pics of what it allows you to see. I'm on dial up at work or I would attach the link for you. Do a search under back up camera and you will find it.

Go play with a NAV at the dealer. If they don't have it in the RL, the Pilot is the same. Once you play with it, you'll have to have it. That is if you're anything like me.

Honesty, if you're thinking you want it, just get it. Don't regret that you didn't get it.

I use the calculator regularly to figure our mpg and the converter comes in very handy too.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
I can't add too much to what has already been mentioned here, but I do have one piece of advice...... play with it (The Nav. I mean....:) ).

Seriously, just plain goof around with it. I know my way around the Nav better now, than I did just reading the owners manual and trying to translate their instructions....just because I went out in the driveway, cranked the truck up, turned on some tunes, and played around with the Nav.

It's one heck of a Nav system. My wife and I had an '04 Pacifica with the Nav., and that was a nice system, but the Honda Nav is a generation in front of the one Chrysler puts out. I like the fact that you when you are following a route, you can go one screen deeper and see your next turns, roads, etc. I especially like the touch screen and I really like the way it is integrated into the sterio.....so you can scan, change channels, etc., either by voice or the controls on the steering wheel. But, yes, I agree, they could have made those touch channel-preset buttons about 1/2 as big as they are.

I finally got around to trying the voice command where you say a phone number of a business and it charts the directions for you. What is way cool!

·
Registered
62 Posts
mr99rock said:
I'm looking into buying my first RL and I'm wondering if the NAV screen is good for anything other than the NAV functions. i.e. can I use it to control XM or see other vehicle functions?

GM has similar functionality on their nav interfaces, so I thought I'd ask around before venturing into the stealership.
Good news, does everything but serves you meals on time and tells you how're you doing on MPG.

·
Registered
219 Posts
When I prompted the voice command and asked "miles per gallon", there was a pause before he announced, "You don't wanna know"......:D

·
Registered
774 Posts
On my wife's Navi it has a calculator, zagut guide,as well as the functions for the radio,cd,and xm.It will tell you time too. It doesn't understand any fowl language to my dismay.:D

·
Registered
479 Posts
mr99rock.

The Nav feature was the #1 feature for me in my buying decision. The #1 reason I DIDN'T buy an '05 Tacoma. And the #1 reason for coming back to Honda. Some day, the auto industry as a whole will catch up to the the desires of people like me, and the Navi will be as common as AC & power windows. Honda is leading the industry with Navi availability & quality. (Civic, Accord, Pilot, Oddessy & Ridgeline plus most Acuras)

I just HAD to have it, and don't regret it. In fact, I would have regreted not getting it, as many on this board have.

I traded My '04 Tacoma double cab in part because it was too stressful with the following: I had an aftermarket Delphi GPS (paid $700 2 years ago. Excellent unit by the way). That with an aftermarket XM Radio with remote control (paid $250 installed), and a Craftsman Garage Door Opener clipped to the sunvisor was just too much damn clutter for me. Add to those 4 things, a seperate key fob that dangled from the ignition switch, and rattled against the cheap Toyota plastic dash.

I can't stand aftermarket devices. Cords hangin everywhere, more stuff to rattle, and take up 12v sockets.

The clean tidy interior of the Ridge eliminated all 5 of these things. Plus, the only way to get steering wheel mounted controls for Navi, is the factory setup.

The screen is fly. People love it when I open it to reveal the hidden CD changer.

Keep in mind, this is a pick up truck. You will not find this level of excellence in a navi on another truck. Period.

Get the Nav! Good Luck
fins

·
Registered
30 Posts
fins2theright said:
mr99rock.

The Nav feature was the #1 feature for me in my buying decision. The #1 reason I DIDN'T buy an '05 Tacoma. And the #1 reason for coming back to Honda. Some day, the auto industry as a whole will catch up to the the desires of people like me, and the Navi will be as common as AC & power windows. Honda is leading the industry with Navi availability & quality. (Civic, Accord, Pilot, Oddessy & Ridgeline plus most Acuras)

I just HAD to have it, and don't regret it. In fact, I would have regreted not getting it, as many on this board have.

I traded My '04 Tacoma double cab in part because it was too stressful with the following: I had an aftermarket Delphi GPS (paid $700 2 years ago. Excellent unit by the way). That with an aftermarket XM Radio with remote control (paid $250 installed), and a Craftsman Garage Door Opener clipped to the sunvisor was just too much damn clutter for me. Add to those 4 things, a seperate key fob that dangled from the ignition switch, and rattled against the cheap Toyota plastic dash.

I can't stand aftermarket devices. Cords hangin everywhere, more stuff to rattle, and take up 12v sockets.

The clean tidy interior of the Ridge eliminated all 5 of these things. Plus, the only way to get steering wheel mounted controls for Navi, is the factory setup.

The screen is fly. People love it when I open it to reveal the hidden CD changer.

Keep in mind, this is a pick up truck. You will not find this level of excellence in a navi on another truck. Period.

Get the Nav! Good Luck
fins
i too was on the fence on the navi/no navi
you helped to make up my mind
thanks

·
Registered
479 Posts
ghost writer said:
i too was on the fence on the navi/no navi
you helped to make up my mind
thanks