Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any idea if and when the navigation system will be available as an aftermarket item for us RTS and RT owners.

Is there something about leather seats and a sun roof that makes you get lost more often.

Steve

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I don't know if Honda will produce anything. In the mean time I am looking at the Magellan Roadmate 700. It has smaller screen but also portable and much less expensive at $750 (online).

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't know what you're talking about...I never get lost...in fact men never get lost--that's why I can't understand all this talk about the usefullness of a Navi system. Heck, I don't even own maps. The only time I ever use a compass is underwater where landmarks are less permanent. If you don't find your destination, you weren't meant to be there in the first place. :p

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
When I need a GPS I bring along my laptop which has a DeLorme EarthMate GPS system. Works great. $129.99.

·
Registered
774 Posts
STEVE FROST said:
Anyone have any idea if and when the navigation system will be available as an aftermarket item for us RTS and RT owners.

Is there something about leather seats and a sun roof that makes you get lost more often.

Steve
Honda's history has always been to package navigation with the other top-of-the-line features. I guess they figure the buyer spending a couple of grand on navigation wouldn't be interested in cloth seats.

There are plenty of aftermarket hand-held units out there if you want something to keep you from getting lost. They will save you about $1000 vs. factory installed but add the flexibility of being able to move from car-to-car.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
nwdiver said:
I don't know what you're talking about...I never get lost...in fact men never get lost--that's why I can't understand all this talk about the usefullness of a Navi system. Heck, I don't even own maps. The only time I ever use a compass is underwater where landmarks are less permanent. If you don't find your destination, you weren't meant to be there in the first place. :p

You're right we don't get lost we may be temporarily misplaced or out on a driving adventure but never lost.

·
Registered
79 Posts
mayfielh said:
You're right we don't get lost we may be temporarily misplaced or out on a driving adventure but never lost.
To refine your thought, men are never lost, however, from time to time they don't know how to get from where they are to where they want to be. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Featser said:
To refine your thought, men are never lost, however, from time to time they don't know how to get from where they are to where they want to be. :rolleyes:
I'd rather be told which way to go from a machine than a front seat/back seat driver that talks back :eek: :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
shovlhd -

Where do you put the laptop when you are using it? I have a TabletPC that I plan to use similarly, but haven't decided if I should fab a bracket to mount it in front of the stereo or make some sort of bed/tray to lay it on over the center console.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I saw a RL that had a mount similar to the ones the police have in their cars. It looked pretty sweet if your were going to mount a laptop or tablet.

I found this site as well.

http://www.ram-mount.com/laptopcomp.htm

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
I put the laptop either on the lap of the "navigator" or on the floor in front of the console.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
that would be a great option if you want Navi without leather seats. I've owned leather before, there's ups and downs to owning leather, but i won't get into it.
I use my PDA Axim from dell with GPS IR hooked up, its portable in case i may want to hike or mountain bike, even skiing. People are right about honda's large LCD Navi screen, easier to read and its intergrated to the vehicle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was told that if you don't buy the Ridge with Nav from the factory that there is no way of installing it later. So it is my understanding that if you don't buy it with you will have to do without [the factory nav].

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Have you seen that Durango commercial, "I'm not lost"? It reminded me of this thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts