Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Nav system has been and still works great in my area, although, I took a trip to Nashville (from Knoxville) yesterday and the nav system told me I had 134 Miles to destination. No problem, but then it said it was a 4 hour trip, I only had about 3 miles that was not on the interstate (I-40). Then with about 30 miles to go, according to the Nav--which was correct--it showed 0:00 time left in the trip, contradicting itself.

I do go from Eastern time to Central time on the trip and would not normally consider this an issue but, I travel 200 miles a day north to south and never experience any issues at all. The only difference I could even think of was the time factor which should have nothing to do with anything in distance & travel calculations.

BTW the distance was correct, it was the the assumption of a 30 MPH average down I-40 that had me confused.

Has anyone experienced this problem?

Thanks,

Sam

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sam welcome to the club first off,

There is a completely logical reason why the Navigation system told you this. While you were traveling at light speed it must have tried to recalculate your location as sunflares kicked up it blocked the signal long enough to mis-calculate actual trip time.

Of course I could be wrong. :rolleyes:

Now seriously .. The Nav system does get hosed up every once in a while, sometimes a restart of the trip itself fixes it. Check your DVD version and you may be able to gripe and make your dealer give you the lastest or reload the software if you dont already have it. I used to have problems at times when it rained heavy and the nav lost sync with the bird(s) in the sky. This is one of the reasons the Honda lawyers make everyone push that OK button every time you get in the truck !!

Let us know how you like the Ridge other than the minor Nav glitch :D

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Maybe the bird your NAV was synced to got hit by space junk??? :D Only half joking, it's a real problem.

A question for the NAV owners. Does it have a realtime screen that shows the birds it's synced to, with their numbers?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought the Trooper was exaggerating when he said I was going at light speed but, since you also came up the same conclusion I guess he has a voucher and therefore it must be true; I will slow down a little.

Thanks for the welcome and the replies, I do love the truck, holds double tanks in the trunk and a Klein mountain bike in the bed, what’s not to like?

I calculated the trip again this morning and the Nav showed the same thing, I also cancelled and recalculated the trip when the time went to 0:00 on the trip and got the same thing. I guess it just doesn’t like Nashville, must be the proximity to Vanderbilt. :)

I was guessing it was a map error since the time went into the twilight zone when I got close.

Oh well, it’s out there as a known problem as I called Honda today. I have also reported my feelings on the trip computer and the locks as well.

Hopefully Honda marketing will appreciate the amount of exposure an owner has when he/she gives an opinion on the truck they own. My fear is we will have a heavy price to pay for a purchasing a first year product and our investment will suffer.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Tech Diver said:
I took a trip to Nashville (from Knoxville) yesterday

Sam
Hey Sam.

I have absolutely nothing to add to this discussion since I have an RTS and obviously no NAV.

I just wanted to say Hi since we're both from Tennessee. I live just east of Nashville and was actually in Nashville yesterday at a training course. I'll be going through Knoxville this Saturday on the way to Kingsport.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Swampler,

No worries on the value add, I am not sure I did either. It's a beautiful drive and the visibility should be great coming off the plateau down the mountain. If you see a Ninja Black Ridgeline with a dive flag plate on the front flag me down.

Have a safe trip.

Go Vols

Sam

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Swampler, you going to the dirt track races?

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
shovelhd said:
Swampler, you going to the dirt track races?
Nope, visiting the parents for the long weekend and leaving the kids for a week now that they're out of school.

I have been to the dirt races there though when I was high school & college. Makes for a fun evening.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Tech Diver said:
<snip>
Thanks for the welcome and the replies, I do love the truck, holds double tanks in the trunk and a Klein mountain bike in the bed, what’s not to like?

<snip>
Tech, what's it like lifting the doubles out of the trunk? I'll be diving with my RL for the first time tomorrow--I use singles, steel 100's so not as heavy as your setup but the liftover is "taller" than car trunks. I think I'll have to be more careful on the lower back. And, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi NW Diver,

Thanks for the Greeting,

Doubles are not that bad, I use almost all arms because as you stated the bend does put you in an ackward position. BTW everyone who has seen this truck has labeled it the Ultimate DTV (Diver Tranport Vehicle). It should get me through the sand in central Fl and to some of the remote spots here in the mountains.

I plan on making a small rack out of PVC for the trunk, I believe I saw some good ideas on the Deco Stop board.

Safe Diving, (DIR)

Sam

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sound like you have a bit of Australian in ya Sam. :D Florida and the Keys have some wonderful places to Dive. We used to go to the west coast of FL and dive there too. Some beautiful places to see around sanibel.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i went yesterday to a small town i used to live in and I knew from prior experience that the shortest route was about 200 miles back to our current place but the NAVI shows me a route for 165 miles which we took. the location of the truck was accurate based on the crossroads we were approaching but the miles didn't tick off as I started driving. i must have driven 15-20 miles before it got to 164. when we stopped to eat and restarted the truck after recalculating the route it seems to catch up but then did the same thing again. during the last 30 miles it seems to have caught up and started dropping the miles regularly. my 3 hour drive turned into a close to 4 hour drive and based on my odometer was probably closer to 240-250 miles. i should have taken my old route but my wife wanted to trust the info on the navi. brought it up with the salesman when i had the rear step on my bumper(it was loose) fixed today and he goes off on a tangent without addressing the question. the guy is the best *****footer i've personally encountered; it's quite amusing to watch and let him think i forgot my original question.. i haven't read the navi manual yet but i did see that quoted mileage is based on road distance and not as the crow flies so what the heck is going on?

·
Registered
51 Posts
i see a word got bleeped. it was anything nasty but a more prosaic term would be question dodger.

·
Registered
254 Posts
One possible explanation – was part of the route in an “unverified” area?

One of the options in the setup screen is to include directions in an unverified area. If your route took you from a verified to unverified area, the NAV unit is going to think you drove off the globe. That may explain the estimated travel time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the reply Kodiak,

That is the same conclusion that I came to. But I did find it odd for the system to give the correct mileage to destination and defaulted to a 30MPH trip. :confused:

I guess it's a software glitch, or as IBM used to say in the 80's "It's a feature... no charge" :)

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Tech, I had a similar problem on my vacation with my wife's navi on her Ody. It's the same system that's used in the RL. I just turned it off for awhile then re-entered the destination (which I know you tried) and the time adjusted itself.

Don't have any solutions but figure I'd let you know you are not alone.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
unfortunately i live in an unverified area. it's ok till i'm about a mile from my house. it does seem to occur more when i'm going home.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts