Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having issues with the Nav System?

My system goes wacky where the map is not in sync and my little truck icon is not on the road it should be on.

After a few minutes though the system catches up and things do work themselves out and become normal.

It doesn't happen all the time but I figure for the very large dime I dropped on this BE the Nav System should work all the time every time .... yes?

· Registered
173 Posts
The NAV isn't too bad once you get used to it but I feel that there is too many options on all the time covering up the map (probably 25%?) most of the time to make it easy to read.

I really like the Android auto - it's my go to if I'm doing any nav functions. I typically keep it on all the time though. The maps section is updated to real traffic times (pulling aggregate data from other google user's devices on the road) and it's updated on a regular basis. But the biggie is the voice integration is primo. Really helps to have a hands free interface that actually works, at least most of the time.

· Registered
94 Posts
Notice you're in CT, what environment were you in? Big city buildings as well as heavy foliage will throw the GPS off! we travel in a 45 foot Diesel Pusher with two Garmin GPS units going and have experienced "loss of synch" in those conditions...

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Notice you're in CT, what environment were you in? Big city buildings as well as heavy foliage will throw the GPS off! we travel in a 45 foot Diesel Pusher with two Garmin GPS units going and have experienced "loss of synch" in those conditions...
Good point .....

No tall buildings .... but lots of trees for sure .....

I can't remember any of our previous vehicles (2010 Honda Fit & 2007 Lincoln MKZ) having this issue ..... However, their NAV systems we not as advanced as this system .....

· Registered
970 Posts
I really like the Android auto - it's my go to if I'm doing any nav functions. I typically keep it on all the time though. The maps section is updated to real traffic times (pulling aggregate data from other google user's devices on the road) and it's updated on a regular basis. But the biggie is the voice integration is primo. Really helps to have a hands free interface that actually works, at least most of the time.
Yup, I agree 100%! I only use the built in where there is no data service for AA. Even then AA will work with downloaded nav data as long as your departure point has data. If it does not, even having downloaded data will not help so then I use the built-in. The bottom line is that most of the time all I have to do is long press the voice button on the steering wheel, say "navigate to xxxxx" and AA will Google search for the place and either start the nav (if it only finds one choice) or present you with an onscreen list of choices if it finds more than one match. The real time traffic is also super and it will usually even tell you what turn lane you need to be in!

What I really hope, now that I have the new Pixel phone, is that Google assistant starts to work with AA. That thing is super smart.

Suck it, Apple fanboys - Siri will never be that good since Apple has not got the databases to make it so!>:)

· Registered
173 Posts
Yup, I agree 100%! I only use the built in where there is no data service for AA. Even then AA will work with downloaded nav data as long as your departure point has data. If it does not, even having downloaded data will not help so then I use the built-in. The bottom line is that most of the time all I have to do is long press the voice button on the steering wheel, say "navigate to xxxxx" and AA will Google search for the place and either start the nav (if it only finds one choice) or present you with an onscreen list of choices if it finds more than one match. The real time traffic is also super and it will usually even tell you what turn lane you need to be in!

What I really hope, now that I have the new Pixel phone, is that Google assistant starts to work with AA. That thing is super smart.

Suck it, Apple fanboys - Siri will never be that good since Apple has not got the databases to make it so!>:)
I got a Nexus 6P last year and I love it and really thought about getting a Pixel but I figure that the 6P will get the same software soonish (probably in less than six months). But yeah - good stuff coming from Google - I've got my Home on pre-order. Planning on shuffling the Echo to somewhere else in the house.

· Registered
970 Posts
I got a Nexus 6P last year and I love it and really thought about getting a Pixel but I figure that the 6P will get the same software soonish (probably in less than six months). But yeah - good stuff coming from Google - I've got my Home on pre-order. Planning on shuffling the Echo to somewhere else in the house.
Indeed. A bit OT but I also wonder if Google Home will be better than Echo (I also have one of those). One would think so for the same reason that Google Assistant is better than Siri.

More OT, I have heard some folks have bought an echo dot and linked it to their phone for use in the car. Interesting idea.

· Registered
173 Posts
Indeed. A bit OT but I also wonder if Google Home will be better than Echo (I also have one of those). One would think so for the same reason that Google Assistant is better than Siri.

More OT, I have heard some folks have bought an echo dot and linked it to their phone for use in the car. Interesting idea.
I'm invested in Google tech pretty heavily at this point. I use a lot of their services so I think the Home will be better for me. The Echo can't really synch up with my Google calendar and other things I'd like to see happen. You probably could with some IFTTT but from a family perspective, our Google devices work so well for managing things. I just can't get into the Amazon ecosystem like it really needs to be to make the Echo work better for me.

It's not the say the Echo is garbage or that I HAVE to have it but I see the value is having an assistant in the house that I can converse with and make things happen with for business and family.

The Echo Dot in a car? Now that's some serious "what if I" stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.