Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Since most stand-alone Garmin units have lifetime updates, does the RL also have lifetime updates?
I gather you received your answer, but a related question for me was how often the maps are updated. Sadly, from my perspective, they are updated only once a year. Contrast this to Google Maps, which seem to be updated continually.

https://honda.garmin.com/honda/faqs/en.html

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wow updates can take up to four hours with the truck running for an hour! Still trying to decide whether I get in-dash or stand-alone. I know I can update while driving as long as I don't need the GPS then, but this process seems to take too long for today's technology standards.

I know I shouldn't worry about it yet because 5-year free updates but... anybody know what that small fee is? Maybe someone who's got a Pilot?

·
Administrator
16,097 Posts
Wow updates can take up to four hours with the truck running for an hour! Still trying to decide whether I get in-dash or stand-alone. I know I can update while driving as long as I don't need the GPS then, but this process seems to take too long for today's technology standards.

I know I shouldn't worry about it yet because 5-year free updates but... anybody know what that small fee is? Maybe someone who's got a Pilot?
The bulk of that time depends on the speed of your Internet connection - anywhere from minutes to hours.

The actual update process takes about 15 minutes, which is the part where you're supposed to have your truck running. I've always updated with the engine off, but it's safer if it's running in case the battery decides to die during the middle of an update.

With a fast Internet connection, you could complete the entire process in less than 30 minutes.

EDIT: Just checked - mine is up to date. Software version 2.07. Map version 2016.0.

·
Administrator
16,097 Posts
When I checked for updates a couple of days ago, I had given Garmin my email address. This morning, I received the following automated email:

You’re going to love your new Honda BEANS, MY16, CLA, NA 2016, AOEM!

You’ve made a smart choice with your Honda BEANS, MY16, CLA, NA 2016, AOEM, and we’re happy to welcome you to the Garmin family. You’re joining a worldwide community of active, hard-working people who understand how the right technology can make their everyday adventures even better.

Use your personalized discount code to get 10 percent off a new accessory* for your Honda BEANS, MY16, CLA, NA 2016, AOEM when you shop at Garmin.com. It expires in 30 days, so don’t wait too long."
I guess "BEANS, MY16, CLA, NA 2016, AOEM" is the model of our navigation system. Beans? Really?? :)

There were two links in the email to click on for that model - one for the owner's manual and one for accessories. Not surprisingly, both links yielded no results. I want a manual and some accessories for my beans!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts