Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I missing something?

With the Honda nav system it will only show "smaller" roads on the 1/4mile scale. In many rural areas the major highways are these roads, thus unless I am at the microscopic scale of 1/4m, I can't see ANY roads in rurual areas.

I agree that the system is correctly programmed for city driving but not rural driving. My Garmin allows me to select the scale where small roads and road names become visible - thus I can use my Garmin in both rural and urban areas. It is a bit silly to have to take my Garmin allong when my truck has a nav system built i

A second problem is the "you are entering an unverified area...." warning nag screen and voice warning that comes up ALL THE TIME in rural areas.

Grrrr!

L

·
0 Posts
Whaleya said:
Am I missing something?

A second problem is the "you are entering an unverified area...." warning nag screen and voice warning that comes up ALL THE TIME in rural areas.

Grrrr!
At least you'll never be alone. :D

·
Registered
578 Posts
It's a matter of trying to figure out what to fit in the DVD and what not to. This is a HUGE country. If the mapping company where to include everything, we'd require many DVD's and require changing discs.

It's very good that Honda atleast included the bread crumb feature for going into unmapped roads.

For what it's worth - the $60k+ VW Touareg uses 6 CD's... yes, CD's.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
shingles said:
For what it's worth - the $60k+ VW Touareg uses 6 CD's... yes, CD's.
This is made even more sad by the fact that even with 700MB CDs, 6CDs only represents about 4.2G of data space. The DVD in the Ridgeline I believe is dual layer, which means it is more on the order of 9.5G of data space, over twice what the Touareg can have in those CDs, even if it is only single layer, that is still 200MB more data space than the Touareg.

As to the original issue, it is important to note that while Honda is responsible for the choices they make, they do not make the Navigational system, it is an after-market product that was designed for the Ridgeline and installed at the factory. So complaining to Honda isn't likely to find you many improvements, you should go to the source to complain about their poor design. If enough people talk up the issues maybe, just maybe, they will consider enhancements in the next DVD release. As to the data size, I agree that there is a lot, but given that the average person is only going to stay in an area about 400 Miles in Radius of their home, an intelligent system would have a large cache area and compress the entire DVD into as small a space as necessary so that it could be loaded with a lot of extra data. Then if you want to go outside your radius you will get a message that the system is calculating your route and that it may take a few minutes while it is decompressing the data and the like. If they use even mid-grade hardware compression they could save a lot of data space and still have a fairly high speed interface.

I am just hoping that when Ridgeline 2 comes out with IVAN part 2 that they are using something like what will be in the new Playstation, a High Definition DVD device able to hold 50 to 100 G of data. Then they will even be able to store pictures of your destination. Want to find a hotel, pull up IVAN, he will even show you pictures of the hotel and a list of amenities. It would also have been cool if the Nav system had the traffic feature that is being hyped for some car on the XM traffic channel.

·
Registered
578 Posts
captmiddy said:
This is made even more sad by the fact that even with 700MB CDs, 6CDs only represents about 4.2G of data space. The DVD in the Ridgeline I believe is dual layer, which means it is more on the order of 9.5G of data space, over twice what the Touareg can have in those CDs, even if it is only single layer, that is still 200MB more data space than the Touareg.
On the other hand, the amount of information that the our system has the Toaureg only wished it had.

If you compare the Nav systems out there today, Honda's system has universally been praised.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think my point may have been missed.

The roads DO show up on the nav system but ONLY on the 1/4mile scale or closer.

When you are in a rural area, say 100 miles across, and you have to be on the 1/4 mile scale to see the roads it's useless.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Whaleya said:
I think my point may have been missed.

The roads DO show up on the nav system but ONLY on the 1/4mile scale or closer.

When you are in a rural area, say 100 miles across, and you have to be on the 1/4 mile scale to see the roads it's useless.
I actually like the smaller scale and use it most of the time. Of course I too am in MN and most of the major roads here are only seen in the smaller scale. I don't find it useless at all. What about the smaller scale do you not like?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I usually set mine to the small scale because that is the only way to see gas stations on the screen. My wife zooms out when we are doing 80 because the screen scrolls too much for her taste.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Nav system? Who needs one. This is one of the reasons I got the base model. While some people really like the Nav, I still much prefer using a map. Besides, I rarely go any place that I'm not reasonably aware of where I am. I've driven across the U.S. three times in recent years and certainly did fine without any Nav system. Never even missed a single exit or had trouble finding gas.
Oh well, to each his own.

·
Registered
964 Posts
basils said:
Nav system? Who needs one. This is one of the reasons I got the base model. While some people really like the Nav, I still much prefer using a map. Besides, I rarely go any place that I'm not reasonably aware of where I am. I've driven across the U.S. three times in recent years and certainly did fine without any Nav system. Never even missed a single exit or had trouble finding gas.
Oh well, to each his own.
'Maps are great, unless you are driving around a big city alone. Then maps are useless. The Nav is wonderful in those situations. I've driven lots of places without a nav (I've been driving for over 20 years) and now with one. It's very fun !

·
Registered
678 Posts
I see your point. But in all honesty I wouldn't and don't drive around any big city that I'm not already familiar with. I suppose if somebody was a salesperson or used the truck for travel into large unfamiliar cities (why?) it could come in handy. I sure don't believe, as you've stated, that maps are useless in a big city. Maybe preparing the city visit with a better in-scale map would be best. But like I said, if it works for you and others....more power to you. It's just not needed in my book and costs way too much for the return investment when a four dollar map will do.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
Kellcut said:
'Maps are great, unless you are driving around a big city alone. Then maps are useless. The Nav is wonderful in those situations. I've driven lots of places without a nav (I've been driving for over 20 years) and now with one. It's very fun !
I prided myself as being a walking Thomas Guide! But I love gadgets! I soon realized that i don't need a Thomas Guide in my truck anymore. I too know how to get to places I have always been too, but it helps for the ones you havn't and helps others who don't have a nav system. I was at a fund raiser for the track club I coach and a gentleman was trying to find a church for the hearing imparied. I knew he was close but I wasn't sure? So I entered the address for him and as it turned out he was just 2 blocks away from the church. The Nav system is great! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts