Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. As you can probably tell, I am new here. I just bought a 2007 Ridgeline RTL w/Nav and I am having a couple issues. Firstly the Nav part won't work. I have the touch screen radio that is shown in the owners manual with all the buttons at the bottom and a flip out screen. (No volume knob or anything, just buttons) When I press the Navi button the Navigator starts and the loading bar fills. Once it is full it stays on that screen for about 5 minutes and then just exits. Back to music. I don't know what the issue is or why it does this but I was hoping maybe one of you great wonderful people might. My other issue being also with the radio, the steering wheel controls do not work. Cruise control works fine and everything on the right side, but the volume up & down and mode buttons do nothing. Any help is appreciated. THANKS!

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Make sure there is a disk in the drive (nav electronics and DVD drive) under the seat. And that the disk is clean.
Problem with the radio controls could be in the steering wheel itself. But you can check all the connections behind the nav/radio assembly first. Others have had similar issues with the steering wheel connections. I would do some forum searches on it, but proceed with CAUTION. You don't want the airbag going off while you are working on it. Read on the correct procedures before touching the steering wheel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the odd thing is I have looked under every seat in the darn thing and the only disc drive it has is behind the touch screen itself. I don't really want to mess with the steering wheel assembly myself. If it had no airbag like my old civics I would dive in no problem, but since it is a newer vehicle there are many components in there I do not want to mess up. I just don't understand why every other '07 Ridgeline I have seen at a dealer or on the web has the other radio seen in the owners manual. The one I consider normal, with the volume knob and such matching the rest of the dash. This other one installed in mine is in the manual as well, meaning it is OEM I would think, and all instructions are given for it but I have never seen another one like it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey "Apok777" welcome to ROC! I've got the 07 RTL/Navi also, I don't know what optional radio you are talking about (will grab manual later) but your CD drive for the Navi should be under your drivers seat, it is quite big and can't miss it... there is a small button on the top corner that opens cover and loading slot is behind it. Your system sounds different though, on start-up the Honda logo and Earth horizon should appear for about 5secs then the "user agreement" screen appears and the maps start after pushing "OK". I have only seen a loading bar when downloading a new version of software via CD? I can't help but think you might have a Canada version? or other non-US version? When there is no CD inserted a message will appear that says something like "Disk read error, see manual/dealer" can't remember for sure. Only other thought would be someone removed/modified the Navi computer system but not screen? (hopefully NOT true)

About your steering wheel buttons there could be a problem with the cable/connectors in the wheel OR I would start by checking the connectors on the back of the Navi unit itself, here is a video that shows how to remove the dash cover, it is very simple and all connectors are color coded, then remove 4 (5?) screws from screen mount and 1 (2?) screws from radio then the unit should pull away from the dash (Navi screen/radio/CD drive is all one piece) and expose connectors for inspection. Installation is just the reverse. (You can use a key or even your finger if you can grip the edge of the trim piece, there is a small notch to fit a tool into where he inserts it in the video. also you can replace any button bulbs while your in there if you want.) You could also rule out the Navi system removed/modified theory too. Hope this helps! Also do you have Voice Command buttons on steering wheel? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRinggp66DQ

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for the warm welcome. Well there is no DVD slot under the drivers seat. And no evidence there ever was anything honestly. The only controls on my steering wheel are (on the right) cruise control res accel, cancel, and decel set. And (on the left) volume up and down, mode, and channel up and down.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You had my interest but now you have my attention... I think you tried to post a pic but it didn't attach, that would be most helpful I haven't seen any "optional" radio style in my manual just the standard versions with different labels for Canadian models? I would really like to see what you've got going on in the dash, I believe all the 07's with Navi would have the same unit but what you are describing sounds completely different. Definitely try and re-post a pic of the Navi unit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are correct, my picture did not post with either reply... Oh well... I will try tomorrow when daylight is upon me.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,778 Posts
Welcome to the ROC Apok777.

You might browse this thread to learn how to post pics on the ROC:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14740

My preferred method is in post 34. Although imgur has changed their format a bit, it's still basically the same. I tend to drag and drop my pics on the webpage now instead of pointing to a file to upload.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I would ask if you bought the truck new? If not then I sort of suspect that you may have an aftermarket unit. That would surely explain the lack of CD under the seat and the lack of steering wheel controls. Pics would be very helpful though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, so: I have determined that the radio that I have is a Ruili RL-201. Apparently I took for granted that the manual in with the car's manuals came with the car OEM. I apologize for that mistake on my part. Either way I still cannot get the Nav to work. I sent an email to the manufacturer located somewhere in china, but I do not expect they will be of much help... I have attempted to search all over for some type of ISO image I can burn to a disk or a file I can save to a SD card with a map update or something that could make it work but I have yet to come up with anything. I did a VIN search on the vehicle and it is, in fact, an RTL so it perplexes me as to why it would not have the steering wheel voice buttons or an auxiliary jack in the cubby on the other side of the dash... Or, for that matter, why someone would replace the OEM display in the first place, as it seems to me like a very nice deck... I am very confused... And lastly to answer any questions, No I did not buy it new, I did not buy it from a dealer, I purchased it for well under what it is worth from a private seller. It has been checked out and everything is sound mechanically and it runs excellently. It's just this darned radio that seems to be giving me trouble...

·
Registered
101 Posts
I kinda figured that after reading and seeing you say it has buttons on the bottom, if you can get it working it looks to be a pretty neat setup (if the link and photo is right) as for the AUX input and voice buttons it is possible you have a RTL w/o stock Navigation, I don't remember if it is has the AUX in but definitely no voice controls without the stock navigation. Also on the link to the site the bottom of the description says "original steering wheel compatibility" maybe previous owner never connected wiring... Doing a Google search it doesn't look like there is much help outside of the manufacturer, all I can say now is good luck to ya and definitely post some pics later if you get it working!

·
Registered
651 Posts
If the 07 is like the 06 then, if it did not come with factory nav then it won't have any aux in nor voice control nor would it have a large screen.
The PO probably wanted nav and installed the aftermarket unit. Unfortunatly for you they installed something with very little support. As for the steering wheel controls, perhaps that is built in butsimply not connected or perhaps it needs an adapter that they didn't buy, IDK. In any case I think you have your work cut out for you to get everything working.
Id say that you have two choices if you cannot figure out your issues. Either live with what you have or buy a new, better supported unit.

Good luck with whatever happens.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe you are right. Thank you all for your help. And thank you for the warm welcomes. I will let you know what happens when I decide myself. And eventually I will get a picture up lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm gonna try this again and we will see how it works. Here are some pics of the truck:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is a question not really related to this thread at all, but how does one get their Fuelly stats in their signature?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,778 Posts
Nope... Alright screw it. Here is a link to an album or something on Imgur.

http://imgur.com/a/COK9i#0
Apok,

Here ya go:

You're almost there. Now just click on this button (under BB) to copy your image to your clipboard and then use control-V to paste the link in your post. Also, I used Imgur to resize your image to 800x600 (see the blue link named edit image?), saved it, then did the copy below.

If you will resize your image before uploading, it will upload much faster. If you post the large image, it makes it difficult to view the full image without scrolling the screen and anyone with a slow connection will take some time to d/l the image.

Nice lookin' steel blue RL, btw. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts