Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a bit over 9,500 miles on my RTL-E and have had no meaningful problems, but recently started having some glitches with the navigation system. For example, I'd push the button on the steering wheel to give verbal input to request, "Navigation," and to then verbally input an address, but on the first screen the robotic voice immediately stated, "Pardon, no command was heard," and cycled through that admonition three times before ending. There was no pause to get my verbal input. Oddly, I could manually push the "Navigation" button on the screen and when I got to the Navigation screen I was able to verbally input a request to provide an address and use the system with verbal input as normal. That is, it waited for my verbal input and followed it as requested. There seemed to be some other, similar problems with input into my phone address-book.

Was planning to take it to the dealer, but decided instead to do a factory reset. This is available in the Settings menu. It's described on page 52 of the pdf navigation manual: Reset Factory Default Settings. Did so and it fixed the problem entirely.

Of course, this also erased saved data like home address, saved destinations, address history, and saved SXM radio channels. It also erased my Bluetooth paired phones, which I had to re-pair. Interesting, it didn't erase my FM radio channel settings or things like how my door locking is set up.

Not sure why this happened, of course, and not too keen on having to do it, but much cheaper than going to the dealer and my guess is that they would have done exactly the same thing, but charged me for it. Hope I don't have to do it again at 19,000 miles.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I's a pain when you have to hit reset, but be sure to think twice before you put your home address in your vehicle...
That's probably not terrible advice to use a nearby address instead, but it seems like a stretch to me to imagine that: 1) a car thief will get the car going without a fob; 2) if they do so they are able to get into the navi system; 3) if they somehow do so they also happen to be a smart car thief who knows to go into the system and look for a pre-programmed home address; 4) they guess that you programmed your garage door opener in the car; 5) they are willing to drive your stolen car to your house to see if the garage door will open; 6) they want to be a home burglar as well as a car thief. In my particular case, my garage is not at my home address. As I said, in an abundance of caution, it's probably not bad advice.

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Other members have reported a similar problem. The solution seems to be un-pairing then re-pairing the phone(s).

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/138-second-generation-2017/143313-voice-command-not-enough-time.html

Regarding storing the home address, the 2017 Ridgeline is the first navigation-equipped vehicle I've had that doesn't secure the stored home address with a PIN - this seems like a glaring omission.
Thank you. That sounds like a much better solution. I'll try that next time. Reading the other thread, it looks like this might have something to do with updates on the phone, but it's very curious that this only impacts one small part of the voice command system. Hopefully, Honda is aiming to address this.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I think I am going to set my home address to the Police Station a half mile down the road?

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
I think I am going to set my home address to the Police Station a half mile down the road?
Nice one. I got a chuckle out of that :)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Thanks guys, I'm gonna reset it this morning once I figure out how lol.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm not sure it really matters if you use your actual home address or not in your GPS any more. If it makes one feel better to put in the address of the bass ass, heavily armed, ex-Marine down the street then do it. If a car thief wants to become a burglar as well all he/she has to do is look in your glove box (in most states), find your registration card and Google your address on their smartphone for location and directions. Ain't technology great!

·
Registered
53 Posts
what kind of phone do you have paired? I have a pixel xl and have the same problem. Honda service says my phone is causing the problem. I posted a new thread on this today.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts