Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here update their DVD nav to the latest version ? I have 2011 RL, any suggestion.

· Registered
2 Posts
I called about the update. It is $150. I asked the customer service representative what is the advantage to updating the system for $150 a year as opposed to buying a new gps for $150 with lifetime map updates. After stammering around for a few seconds she said "I guess there isn't any".

· Registered
4,166 Posts
I called about the update. It is $150. I asked the customer service representative what is the advantage to updating the system for $150 a year as opposed to buying a new gps for $150 with lifetime map updates. After stammering around for a few seconds she said "I guess there isn't any".
There will always be advantages and disadvantages with factory Nav vs portable aftermarket GPS. There are some factors with factory Nav it will not get stolen if left in vehicle you will not forget it someplace else because it's always there. The screen size generally is larger you don't have to constantly install or remove when entering or exiting vehicle. So aftermarket portable GPS Nav phone wins updates features function factory Nav wins with security & convenience

· Administrator
24,841 Posts
Does anyone here update their DVD nav to the latest version ? I have 2011 RL, any suggestion.
What exactly are you asking for?

First, the updates periodically go on sale for $99 and/or include free shipping. This usually happens in the weeks/months before the next update appears.

Second, there are many differences between the factory navigation system and a standalone unit.

- Instead of an integrated look, you have this unsightly appendage attached to the dash or windshield that must be either plugged in or periodically recharged.
- A standalone unit doesn't talk to the vehicle's sensors, so if it loses GPS signal it stops updating your location. Factory systems have a feature called "dead reckoning" that use the vehicle's speed and other sensors to keep your position on the map updated if you lose signal.
- A standalone unit is much more apt to be stolen.
- A standalone unit can't mute the radio while speaking, so you might not hear it over the radio or because of the tiny speaker.
- A standalone unit doesn't utilize the vehicle's steering wheel controls and is less safe to use.
- The factory system has a much bigger display than standalone devices.
- Although regular updates aren't required for this feature, the factory navigation system sends GPS information to the climate control system to refine its operation based on solar angle.
- A factory navigation system tends to remain supported much longer than a standalone unit. You can still get updates for Honda vehicles 15+ years old. How many people keep the same standalone GPS unit for 15 years? No one I've ever heard of! The lifetime of a standalone GPS with "lifetime" updates ends under many conditions such as theft, loss, damage, dead battery, obsolescence, etc. at a much higher rate compared to a factory system.

So, although updating a factory system may cost more you are actually getting something for that extra cost.

It may be worth noting that if the G2 Ridgeline's navigation system is similar to the Pilot's (which it is expected to be), you'll get 5 years of free updates. It is quite possible additional updates will be less expensive.

· Registered
4,166 Posts
What exactly are you asking for?

First, the updates periodically go on sale for $99 and/or include free shipping. This usually happens in the weeks/months before the next update appears.

Second, there are many differences between the factory navigation system and a standalone unit.

- Instead of an integrated look, you have this unsightly appendage attached to the dash or windshield that must be either plugged in or periodically recharged.
- A standalone unit doesn't talk to the vehicle's sensors, so if it loses GPS signal it stops updating your location. Factory systems have a feature called "dead reckoning" that use the vehicle's speed and other sensors to keep your position on the map updated if you lose signal.
- A standalone unit is much more apt to be stolen.
- A standalone unit can't mute the radio while speaking, so you might not hear it over the radio or because of the tiny speaker.
- A standalone unit doesn't utilize the vehicle's steering wheel controls and is less safe to use.
- The factory system has a much bigger display than standalone devices.
- Although regular updates aren't required for this feature, the factory navigation system sends GPS information to the climate control system to refine its operation based on solar angle.
- A factory navigation system tends to remain supported much longer than a standalone unit. You can still get updates for Honda vehicles 15+ years old. How many people keep the same standalone GPS unit for 15 years? No one I've ever heard of! The lifetime of a standalone GPS with "lifetime" updates ends under many conditions such as theft, loss, damage, dead battery, obsolescence, etc. at a much higher rate compared to a factory system.

So, although updating a factory system may cost more you are actually getting something for that extra cost.

It may be worth noting that if the G2 Ridgeline's navigation system is similar to the Pilot's (which it is expected to be), you'll get 5 years of free updates. It is quite possible additional updates will be less expensive.
Forget about all that good stuff factory Nav can do. My old Flintstone age factory Nav in my 2000 TL can mute the radio/cassette /cd/xm-fm tuner Yes I said cassette they came after 8-Track

· Premium Member
11,332 Posts
Today, most built-ins are far superior to what was available just a few years ago. Previously many 100 dollar clip ons could compete plus have the advantage of free updates in most cases.
Now,there is less advantage to getting a top line vehicle without it. The fear of it becoming obsolete in a few short years is no longer the issue it was. You can always pick up a cheap portable for other purposes, or just use your smartphone if you need to, or if you have a lower line car or truck that does not have the navi option.

· Administrator
24,841 Posts
Consider also that navigation is becoming just one of many functions in modern infotainment systems. I'll bet we're not too many years away from touch screens and navigation from becoming as standard as power windows are today. Most of the hardware required for a navigation system is already in place on many vehicles these days. I also predict that factory map updates will get much cheaper (if they don't disappear entirely) as alternate interfaces like Apple CarPlay and Android Auto become mainstream. Since these interfaces utilize existing free and real-time updates on smartphones, there's no longer a need to pay for an update that comes on physical media such as a disc or USB drive. I like the concept of using the vehicle's interface as nothing more than a "dumb terminal" that interfaces with your smartphone.

· Registered
4,166 Posts
I don't think I have updated the NAV DVD in the Ridgeline in several years.
It's not worth doing every year if that's the question.

· Registered
1,762 Posts
We update some of our RL's every 2 or 3 years, just updated a couple 2012 RTL's with the 2015 DVD map(s) (both have under 8000 miles on the Odometer).

On our 2016 Touring CRV's, the Navi is really cool, even has a user adjustable angle for 3D image (looks like you are driving on a round earth as the horizon comes up in the upper view of the map and the colors are deep and rich with details.

· Registered
1 Posts
Don't waste your money bought an update when I bought my used unit and found that unless you are in a big city it doesn't have a clue where you are. It also didn't have the location for an area in a small city that had been a neighborhood for over 10 years. 200 dollars wasted. Honda also could care less that their customers are being ripped off when I contacted them. Should have just used my 150 dollar hand held and upgraded for 79 dollars

· Registered
25 Posts
Don't waste your money bought an update when I bought my used unit and found that unless you are in a big city it doesn't have a clue where you are. It also didn't have the location for an area in a small city that had been a neighborhood for over 10 years. 200 dollars wasted. Honda also could care less that their customers are being ripped off when I contacted them. Should have just used my 150 dollar hand held and upgraded for 79 dollars
I think there is something wrong with your nav system then, the map is just a overlay of where you are with additional metadata for what is near you. I drive in some pretty remote areas and I've passed dirt roads labeled.
I updated mine a couple of years ago, it still had the original 06 map in it, but don't plan on updating again anytime soon. Oh, I got it on the $99 special.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts