Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up 2007 RTL w/Navi, the used dealer I bought it from said the factory nav system was all pixeled out (I'm assuming bad display) so they installed a JVC in it's place...

Well, I found a Nav/Radio combo on Ebay, good shape, installed easy enough... went up to honda dealer and got PIN numbers for both.

Radio works perfectly, Navi shows what is on the picture below. I'm wondering if it's something to do with the signal... because if you hit Open, it displays a picture of a coffee cup or whatever, and it's clear as a bell. Otherwise it shows what is below, the screen changes but is still jacked up..

So, first any suggestions from past experience, I've searched for the better part of an hour without any success..

Secondly, what is the small flat connection on the back of the nav unit for? I've looked all over in the dash and couldn't find anything.. The Green and Black connectors snap in nice and snug, nothing loose.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

·
Administrator
16,069 Posts
You need to replace the navigation unit under the driver's seat. This is the "main" part of the navigation system. The reason you can see the "coffee cup" warning is because that graphic is generated inside the display unit. The distorted video you are seeing is being generated in the navigation unit.

I don't know what that third connector is for. Perhaps it is a service port for factory use and doesn't actually connect to anything in the vehicle.

If you hold the MENU, MAP/GUIDE, and CANCEL buttons together for several seconds, does a diagnostic menu appear?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks very much. I was wondering why the dvd unit under the seat was so big, makes sense being the navi unit too.

On that note, will the PIN I got for the Navi unit work if I change the main box out? I'm assuming not since it's the brains of the operation...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you hold the MENU, MAP/GUIDE, and CANCEL buttons together for several seconds, does a diagnostic menu appear?
No, it changes to another screen of just pixel garbage, can tell something is happening, but can't see anything worthwile

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,263 Posts
You may find that the "Factory Unit" is a really "OLD" design and quite slow/lacking options from other posters on the website, Many Threads related to this topic.

Good Luck

·
Administrator
16,069 Posts
On that note, will the PIN I got for the Navi unit work if I change the main box out? I'm assuming not since it's the brains of the operation...
No. You'll need the code for the new navigation unit.

No, it changes to another screen of just pixel garbage, can tell something is happening, but can't see anything worthwile
Yup. Almost certainly a faulty navigation unit. If it were a cable/connector issue related to the video signal between the navigation unit and the display unit, you'd have no picture at all, a rolling picture, or missing colors - not what you are seeing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No. You'll need the code for the new navigation unit.

Yup. Almost certainly a faulty navigation unit. If it were a cable/connector issue related to the video signal between the navigation unit and the display unit, you'd have no picture at all, a rolling picture, or missing colors - not what you are seeing.
Great, thanks very much for your help, I was thinking it was time to break out the hammer and give it a little motivation, instead just a little more digging and more parts.

Have a good one!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Do you have the Navi Disk's?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have the Navi Disk's?
Yeah, I bought a 2012 update disc, but since I can't make anything out on the screen there was no way to "push" the update through the service setup.

I'm Sending the Nav unit out to Alpine's main repair place in California on Monday, basically the same as what the Honda dealer would do according to the Honda tech I spoke with on Friday... Hopefully I don't get drilled on the price, I told them to call as soon as they figured it out.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Secondly, what is the small flat connection on the back of the nav unit for? I've looked all over in the dash and couldn't find anything.. The Green and Black connectors snap in nice and snug, nothing loose.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

Here you go... (Edit: See post #15 in this thread)

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,069 Posts
Here you go...
Look again. The black connector is the 20P connector. The green connector is the 10P connector. The off-white connector circled in red that the OP is asking about (which appears to be a 5P connector) is not shown in the FSM screen shots.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
It's probably a diagnostic connector.

I don't think the GPS antenna plugs into the dash unit - I think it goes to the under-seat unit.

Chip H.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies guys, and for the FSM screen shot.

I got the Unit back, installed, picked up the disc and never missed a beat. The graphics look like my old Nintendo from 1988 but is working great.

Now I'm off to do more reading about a rear view camera install and running it thru the nav screen as well.

Thanks again.

·
Administrator
16,069 Posts
Glad it's working! Regarding the resolution, keep in mind this system was originally designed well over a decade ago. The same system already existed in other Honda/Acura models before it appeared in the Ridgeline in 2005. It remained the same through 2014 in the Ridgeline.

Would you care to share what they found the problem to be and how much the repair charge was?

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Look again. The black connector is the 20P connector. The green connector is the 10P connector. The off-white connector circled in red that the OP is asking about (which appears to be a 5P connector) is not shown in the FSM screen shots.
Good catch Roger

5p is Aux Input

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad it's working! Regarding the resolution, keep in mind this system was originally designed well over a decade ago. The same system already existed in other Honda/Acura models before it appeared in the Ridgeline in 2005. It remained the same through 2014 in the Ridgeline.

Would you care to share what they found the problem to be and how much the repair charge was?

Yeah, I'm fine with the Nav resolution, just funny to compare it to my wife's 2015 CRV, 18 years is a long time for tech like that.

According to the invoice from Alpine, they replaced the motherboard... no real explanation other than that line item on the invoice. It was $358.00 not including the shipping to Alpine.

Pretty much just plug and play for the re-install, same for the nav dvd, just loaded it, powered it up and off it went.

·
Administrator
16,069 Posts
Good catch Roger

5p is Aux Input
Look carefully at the the pictures you posted. While the auxiliary jack assembly itself has a 5-pin connector, those wires end up in the 14-pin audio unit connector C which also connects to the subwoofer.

I still can't find any reference to a 5-pin connector anywhere except on the back of the navigation unit under the driver's seat, which has a 5-pin connector that is wired to a 28-pin connector on the HandsFree Link control unit.

So, the 5-pin connector the OP is asking about is still a mystery. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts