Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLease excuse if this is a repost, but searching for Navigation in this forum, I just could find what I was looking for

Anyway, anyone hear of when we can purchase an updated DVD? MAN, my new ridgeline has some old ass information. It even shows my HONDA dealership on the other side of town. They haven't been there in about 6 years

Thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
I complained to the dealer and he swapped my "a" version for a "c" version in another vehicle. No charge. I believe it is an "updated version" but I never confirmed that.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DWdrums said:
PLease excuse if this is a repost, but searching for Navigation in this forum, I just could find what I was looking for

Anyway, anyone hear of when we can purchase an updated DVD? MAN, my new ridgeline has some old ass information. It even shows my HONDA dealership on the other side of town. They haven't been there in about 6 years

Thanks

4.13 is what came with my Ridgline. WOW, I am blown away that this data is 4 years old

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Go here to order new DVD https://iweb.alpine-usa.com/Hondadvdsales/naviorder.php

But, before you do, the latest Ver. they offer is 4.13 for the RL.

When you go to this site and type in the Year and Model of your vehilcle the latest version # available for the model you enter will pop up at the top of the screen in RED letters.
I would check this site often to see if there is a new version out.

I have Ver: 4.13 and it is old as dirt.

New DVD Disc is $185.00 - Save your money and wait for newer version.
I called (800) 291-4675 and they said a new version comes out every spring.
But that doesn't seem to be true. Errors on my Nav. are 4 plus years old.

Joe

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
There is a lot of new road construction here in Central PA and my Nav screen even shows the detours. So far I have found it to be quite accurate. I live in an "unverified area" and the system directs me through a long strange route for the final 1/4 mile but it does get me home.

L

·
0 Posts
I was in an area of Ohio a few weeks ago I was not familiar with and in search of a Giant Eagle grocery store. I entered my request into Ivan and he sent me to one immediately. "TORN DOWN 4 YEARS AGO AND NEW BUILDING ALREADY IN IT'S PLACE". ( a church ) Whats up with THAT!! :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
shingles said:
where do you live?
Information in the Houston area is pretty recent.
I live in Auburn, CA 95603 ( Sacramento Region )

It seams that everyone, or most everyone has the same problem. 4 year old inforamtion is a VERY LONG TIME especially for Map Data. I'll call the dealer ( Like thats gonna help) and see what they tell me. I'll be sure to report back to this thread

L

·
0 Posts
DWdrums said:
I live in Auburn, CA 95603 ( Sacramento Region )

It seams that everyone, or most everyone has the same problem. 4 year old inforamtion is a VERY LONG TIME especially for Map Data. I'll call the dealer ( Like thats gonna help) and see what they tell me. I'll be sure to report back to this thread
Thanks DW. We'll be waiting for ya!! :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
After reading these posts and living in Nevada which for the last 17 years has been fastest growing state, I am doubly glad I didn't waste my money on the Nav system. Maps that are published locally are updated every six months.

My "nav" system consists of my cell phone (hands free ;) ) and a travel yellow pages.

L

·
0 Posts
nevadagarth said:
After reading these posts and living in Nevada which for the last 17 years has been fastest growing state, I am doubly glad I didn't waste my money on the Nav system. Maps that are published locally are updated every six months.

My "nav" system consists of my cell phone (hands free ;) ) and a travel yellow pages.
Well that's ok. You have to be happy and I'm glad you are.
At least you bought the right color RL!! :D ;)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nevadagarth said:

"waste" I don't think so. It has it's advantages. Although the street names are npt present, it still shows my location. Best $$$ i ever spent is on the NAV.

If you have a family, this is the best. if you go n road trips, this is the best. Especially if you cross reference with a map. The gentle reminders of " Exit in 1/4 mile" is pretty cool.

·
Registered
141 Posts
ladyridge said:
I was in an area of Ohio a few weeks ago I was not familiar with and in search of a Giant Eagle grocery store. I entered my request into Ivan and he sent me to one immediately. "TORN DOWN 4 YEARS AGO AND NEW BUILDING ALREADY IN IT'S PLACE". ( a church ) Whats up with THAT!! :)
LadyRidge: God works in mysterious ways...Nav was his second priority... :D

·
Registered
430 Posts
I knew my post would elicit some defensive comments. Lighten up people. :)

If you will reread my post you will notice that I mentioned how I am living in an area with tremendous growth in population. I will further that comment with an explanation: With tremendous growth in population comes tremendous growth in roads, services, shopping, business, etc. If you are having problems with the DVD Nav being 4 years old, imagine what I would be experiencing living in a location where a new phone book comes out every 6 months. My wife and I (with two children) would have a heck of a time trying to find things if we had to wait 4+ years for an updated DVD. Things are changing constantly here. That restaurant you went to two years ago to celebrate "such and such" has moved to a better location. Or that neat home furnishing store has relocated to a bigger store on the south side of town two months ago.

As far as traveling goes, I ask questions or directions. How else will you find out the best local flavor or deal? I ask, "Where is the nearest "national box restaurant"?" Local resident replies, "There is a "national box restaurant" on the corner, but Aunt Mabel's Homestyle Family Restaurant is where you really want to go. Great food, better price and the kids will love old Willy the golden retriever. That is two blocks south, turn left on This-and-that street and Aunt Mabel's will be 7 blocks on your right. Enjoy!"

I have lived in 6 states and 7 different cities in my short legal driving life. One of the first things I do is find out where the "center" of town(s) is regarding the building numbers. I also find out if Streets run north and south and Avenues run east and west or vice versa. Or is there some other common theme to how a city is laid out. Once I have these basics down I can pretty much get from Point A to Point B. I will admit I have found Point C sometimes, but I log that in my mental DVD for the future if need be. My wife is constantly amazed at how I can find my way around and how I get a "feel" for things. I should check my family tree to see if a homing pigeon once roosted on a branch. ;)

I was also a Boy Scout in my younger years and despite the recent tragic events, you should still never leave the house (camp site) unprepared. Hence the cell phone and travel size yellow pages.

And just to fend off any more defensive comments. Our streets do not always run perfectly north-south-east-west. There are two cities here where there is no way to tell where one begins and one ends. Streets change names at intersections or city limits or at an Interstate interchange. We live amongst mountains, so you can't always see that tall building for a reference point. Streets change names period (the developer decided to name the parkway something else, or a highway interchange name changed because it sounded to similar to a new one two miles down the road).

Maybe now you will see why "I am doubly glad I didn't waste my money on the Nav system." Notice the I's and my......no you or yours. :eek:

·
Registered
141 Posts
For ME the nav system was one of the strongest selling points for the Ridgeline. I have had Garmin systems for many years, and use it everyday on my Harley. The recalulation time is terrible, but it gets you there or very close. We get spoiled with the power of the new systems, they are fantastic. Voice recognition, Gas stations, by type, geez how good does it get... I will gladly pay a few bucks for a new NATIONWIDE DVD every few years. I agree with many, you still should be given a current (recently updated) DVD when you start out...4 Years old to start...rediculous...and I was told they upgrade every year in the spring...Did we miss spring for a few years?

Anyway you look at it, this beats the wife screaming that you missed the last turn!!

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
To each her (or his) own. I love NAV. I am crazy about NAV. I think it is marvelous. I am amazed at how accurate it is. I would have only expected about a quarter of the detail and didn't know it even had the business listings.

Yes, there are many gaps in the listings. I could find Great Harvest bread in MN, but not in my local communities. That's OK. If I really need to, I can still stop and consult a paper phone book.

Thus far, private roads are the only roads we've been on that were not listed. We've been on hundreds of miles of dirt roads now, and they are labeled better than they appear on paper maps. Sometimes it tickles my funny bone when our exact route on the NAV is parallel to the dirt road on the NAV screen until we hit a section of the road that is exactly accurate. That momentary inaccuracy is nothing to get rattled over. I make jokes about needing to bushwhack because it shows us driving through the forest or sage brush.

I don't see myself as uptight or defensive about loving NAV. I'm simply tickled pink that we got it. If you're glad that you did not spend the extra money, we're both happy. For us, NAV is worth every penny and we feel the same way about our back up camera.

I will buy a new DVD every other year or every third year. I don't rely on NAV alone. I am a map freak and I have files full of them. I need them for trip planning and getting myself oriented to new areas. I like the feel of the paper in my hands. They give me a better overview than I can get on a seven inch screen. I will still spend money on maps and travel books. But I will always want NAV in any vehicle we are touring in. We expect that to be the Ridgeline for a very long time to come.

For me, NAV is very much like moving up to broadband. Once you have it, you will never want to bump back down and live without it.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
How about going to a gas station that's on your nav system and the gas station has been torn down for almost 2 years or Arco stations aren't listed at all? That sucks if you are in need of fuel! :(

·
Registered
626 Posts
So, if you hadn't had the NAV to even attempt a query for the nearest gas station, you would've... what? Looked on your printed maps for one? They're not on there. If you're that low on gas, and solely reliant on the NAV data, well, that's a bad idea, isn't it?

I'm sure the NAV data will be updated... just like the data for google maps, yahoo maps, etc. will have to be updated as well. None of these mapping systems even understands where I live, even though the house and the street have been here for more than 10 years... I'm still glad that I have NAV, even if it may mean a crap-shoot when I'm running low on gas and need a gas station. At least I have the *option* of using the NAV. I can always do it the old-fashioned way too, if I'm not feeling confident in the NAV data -- pull over and ask directions! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's a shame that the NAV systems don't use a satellite link and download the most recent map information routinely (yearly) to folks that own a NAV system and prefer to update their system in that fashion . I would gladly pay a subscription fee for the convenience for the download verses a DVD purchase.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts