Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Honda Ridgeline RTL with Navigation/SiriusXM and I am the first owner. I bought it on 10/03/2010 and have never had this problem. Yesterday, I started the vehicle for the first time in only 2-3 days and it asked for the Security pin. Fortunately I was able to browse this site and find the pin via the sticker in my glove-box. I thought the problem would go away, but today (1 day after first incident) I started it again and it asked for the pin. Now I'm worried. I had a full dealership service/inspection at the three year mark only about 1-2 months ago, everything passed with flying colors. The battery has never caused any problems and there is no hesitation/bad sounds when i start the ignition. Is this going to happen every time? What are my options? I appreciate any help that comes my way. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,238 Posts
Very likely, your 3 year old battery is kaput. Get it load tested. But plan to replace it. These computerized vehicles do strange things when the battery gets low, and although you would think it would show up when cranking the engine, it often appears in other places first.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm. That makes sense. What is the average life span of a factory ridgeline battery?

When I start it, turn it off, wait 3 minutes, then start it again, the message does not appear. I guess because the alternator has pumped it up a bit. But if I go an hour or more it will ask for the pin upon ignition. Does that support your theory that the battery is nearing end-of-life?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hmm. That makes sense. What is the average life span of a factory ridgeline battery?

When I start it, turn it off, wait 3 minutes, then start it again, the message does not appear. I guess because the alternator has pumped it up a bit. But if I go an hour or more it will ask for the pin upon ignition. Does that support your theory that the battery is nearing end-of-life?
Or there's a problem with the memory wire. Hook it up to a trickle charger so you know you're maintaining a high voltage. Leave it on for 90 minutes, long enough to replicate the problem. If you can then turn it on without the pin msg, it's most likely the battery. If you still get prompted, I'd say the constant memory wire is having issues.

The life of a battery can vary widely, even for two batteries of the same model and age. Hot weather shortens their lifespan, as does running them down. Letting the battery go flat even once will drastically shorten the life of your battery. Keep in mind that YOU may never have let it go flat, but you don't know if it happened before you ever got it.

Up here we have cold winters but warm summers. I generally get 7-10 years out of a battery.

·
Super Moderator
23,238 Posts
DC weather is probably close to NC weather. I got 4+ years out of mine, garage kept... even though I killed it a time or two in its lifetime.

I'd guess the life might range from a low of 6 months to maybe a high of 6 years... with 3 years probably being about average.

·
Registered
10 Posts
having the same issue. Started one time and has increased exponentially to every time i start the vehicle. Will test my battery tomorrow but have a hard time believing that a 3yo battery that starts up the car well and provides ample dome lighting when the car is not running could be the cause. Testing is free though so what the heck. Any idea how to locate this memory wire? Color code for it maybe? This happened the first time during some of the coldest weather my ridgeline has experienced. I don't know how but somehow I think that has something to do with it.

·
Super Moderator
23,238 Posts
With all the electronics these days, it could simply be a faulty chip that is temperature sensitive. I've seen that before in the aviation world.. an autopilot that would only work when warm... traced to a faulty component that was out of spec.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts