Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An earlier thread referenced problems with illogical information from the navigation system. I've had some recent experiences that may help focus further attention to this issue. I'm on a cross-country trip, so I've had experiences in several areas.

While driving from San Diego to Aspen, Colorado, the navigation system worked perfectly. Although it somewhat overestimated the time it would take, I was driving on a Sunday morning (to start with), so no traffic to speak of and was driving about 8 mph over the speed limit most of the time. Hence, it seems logical that I would beat the expected time.

While driving from Aspen to a small town in Nebraska, the system stated that some of the route was uncharted. I modified the trip in the navigation sytem to the closest major town, and selected a street the navigation system provided. Still got the same message. The total miles given for the trip appeared pretty accurate, but here's where the problem came in. The estimated time involved was completely ridiculous and always to a particular hour (i.e. defaulted to 28 hours or 27 hours or whatever). This would adjust as I drove, but to an hour, not to a reasonable time estimate. Even more bizarre, the half screen directions for the trip, with each segment giving miles and estimated time, didn't add up to the miles or time given as the total. This really seems absurd to me.

In charting the next part of the trip, I have checked my current location to a couple of destination cities (Erie, PA and Canneaut, OH). In both cases, I've input actual addresses for hotels, which the navigation system recognizes. In each case I am getting a total mileage and route that look about right. For one of these, I get a reasonable estimate of time that is more or less consistent with MapQuest. For the other, I get a seemingly reasonable mileage, but a totally illogical estimated time. Keep in mind that this trip is virutally entirely on Interstates.

There seems to be an inherent weakness in the system whereby if any portion of the route is uncharted, the estimated time becomes essentially useless. Considering that MapQuest never does this, I can only conclude that the quality of the DVD in my Ridgeline is relatively poor, which I find quite frustrating.

One would expect that the DVD and/or system would be programmed to either estimate a reasonable average time over the uncharted routes or would display an error message on the time to destination (i.e. cannot calculate), or would at least add up the estimates for each leg of the trip. It does not.

Considering the cost of having the navigation system, this seems unacceptable to me. When it works, it's great. When it doesn't, I curse it.

All this said however, by and large the system gives good directions in most cases along the route and does seem to have a reasonable mileage estimate on the screen.

·
Registered
535 Posts
My local freeway has an HOV lane.

If I drive in the normal lane things work fine, however if I am in the HOV lane (middle of the freeway) the navigation system won't work until I move back over to the side of the freeway

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Maybe it knows if you are in the HOV lane there are alot of people are in the vehicle. Someone should know the way and you shouldn't need a navigation system! :D

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Check the option in the setup for the unverified areas. You want this to be set to yes and you should get a more accurate representation of the time and miles required for the trip. It won't be prefect but it does seem to at least be closer. I had to do this for the trip I will be taking shortly up north as apparently portions of Maine aren't charted, who would have guessed ;).

·
Registered
362 Posts
If none of that works, you need an old priest and a young priest. Its posessed!! :rolleyes:

I have a trip coming up next month so I can compare the Nav with my MDX when we go. ( about 700 miles each way )

·
Registered
18 Posts
Lifesaver1,

I agree with you, my biggest frustration was/is the cost of a system that is not capable of performing some simple logic functions when a abnormality in mapping occurs. i.e. divide "miles to go" by "current speed"

I am sure there is a good technical reason for this but the excessive cost doesn't justify the function. My bad for purchasing the option.

This probably hits more of a sore spot with me because when I discussed this with American Honda they kept referring to the nav system as someone elses product. I explained it was a Honda product, their supplier is not in the picture for me. I paid Honda for this product, not Alpine; I would not call Michelin if the vehicle is delivered with a bad tire. :confused:

I just could not understand their statements

Side note:

Assume Honda fixes most of our complaints; what does that do to our personal investments? Our resale/trade-in value for this vehicle will be horrible.
I do not mean to be too negative I love my truck and would buy it again but I am putting alot of miles on this vehicle and will not be in a good position to upgrade quickly.

I would feel better if they started offering some of these fixes--even at a cost--to provide the opportunity for us to improve some universal issues with their product.

Then again maybe I have been spoiled by some other brands. This is my first truck and first Honda since a 1988 Civic hatchback "si" (not meant to be a bash) :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First, thanks to CaptMiddy. I shall try this and see how it works.

Second, I agree with the points about quality of the navigation system. The quality of the software in the vehicle should be comparable to that of MapQuest, which is free, but requires a PC.

Third, I hope that this is a DVD-based problem, in which case it can be addressed via software updates, but I also notice that there is a PCMCIA card reader, apparently for firmware updates, so perhaps Honda can address it that way.

Finally, with repect to the point about what we had before, my concern is this: I had no interest in a sunroof, but great interest in a navigation system. The cost to get a navigation system was therefore quite significant and well beyond after-market systems. I wanted an integrated system, because I assumed it would be more reliable and work better with the car. I think, considering the cost, I have a right to expect that. I am looking forward to Honda addressing this pronto.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Lifesaver1 said:
The quality of the software in the vehicle should be comparable to that of MapQuest, which is free, but requires a PC.
Wow. That bar is pretty low. Mapquest sucks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My Nav system siezed up once. She said "in a quarter mile, take...............
The stereo volume remained at it's lowered volume when she gives directions. Nothing seemed to be able to clear it. I had to get off the next exit, power off, power on to reboot it. That was about 1000 miles ago and I haven't had the problem reoccur since. Computers...... :confused:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Biker said:
My Nav system siezed up once. She said "in a quarter mile, take...............
The stereo volume remained at it's lowered volume when she gives directions. Nothing seemed to be able to clear it. I had to get off the next exit, power off, power on to reboot it. That was about 1000 miles ago and I haven't had the problem reoccur since. Computers...... :confused:
Hey now, if you are going to blame someone make sure it is the right person, that is a Microsoft issue. The computer would be fine if they didn't go put Windows on it ;).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts