Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I previously had a thread that addressed my challenge with the Nav system on my 2013 Ridgeline Touring, but did not get the result I was looking for.

My system shows the following options when planning a route:
Direct Route/Easy Route/No Toll Roads/ Re Route/ Cancel Current Route in the menu.

What I want is an option that WILL include TOLL ROADS.

For example, when I am travelling through Toronto, I WANT to use the 407 ETR, which is a toll road, but well worth the additional cost.

If I ignore the planned route and get on the 407, the nav system will recognize the road and re calculate. However, if I am in the U.S. and in an area I am not familiar with, but want the easiest route, including a toll road, how do I elect an option that will let me specify TOLL ROADS?

Thanks
John

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Hi
I previously had a thread that addressed my challenge with the Nav system on my 2013 Ridgeline Touring, but did not get the result I was looking for.

My system shows the following options when planning a route:
Direct Route/Easy Route/No Toll Roads/ Re Route/ Cancel Current Route in the menu.

What I want is an option that WILL include TOLL ROADS.

For example, when I am travelling through Toronto, I WANT to use the 407 ETR, which is a toll road, but well worth the additional cost.

If I ignore the planned route and get on the 407, the nav system will recognize the road and re calculate. However, if I am in the U.S. and in an area I am not familiar with, but want the easiest route, including a toll road, how do I elect an option that will let me specify TOLL ROADS?

Thanks
John
Sorry to tell you, but answers here will be the same. There's nothing you are doing that is 'wrong'. If you use anything EXCEPT for minimize toll roads or minimize freeways, your Navi should be taking you on toll roads when it decides it's the best route.
To help you confirm this, I just planned two different routes in two separate directions, both on the far end of toll roads from my house. Navi sent me on the toll roads if either "direct", "easy" or "maximize freeways" is selected for routing method. The only time it did not was if I selected "minimize toll roads" or "minimize freeways".
BTW, the options I listed above are the ones I see on my OEM Navi with fairly current disc (I don't remember that they ever changed since new). If you have different options, I don't know why.

I suspect that you are selecting a destination that has multiple options that are similar & that the routing logic of the Navi is 'deciding' that the "non-toll" route is the best. I also suspect that if two "freeway" type routes are available, the system will avoid the toll roads if all else is equal. I remember there are some very parallel roads (toll & not) going north and south between Maryland & NY.....
The routing "logic" algorithms are pretty unknown to most (all?) of us, so you kind of have to trust it to do you right. The only way you are going to find out "why" it's doing what it's doing is to talk to someone who knows the programming logic.... if you can talk to someone like that at the Navi source (forget who that is), more power to you.

I suggest you validate that your system is working correctly by finding a toll road that DOESN'T have parallel freeway options; choose a destination immediatly down stream from that toll road, and see if your system doesn't take you on the toll road. Is suspect it will. If it doesn't your Navi is not functioning properly for some reason (I HIGHLY DOUBT YOU'LL FIND THIS TO BE THE CASE). If it DOES take you on the toll road, then you just need to accept that when you are not having the toll roads selected, it's because Navi has decided it's not the best route.

Now, for some info that might actually help you.
You DON'T need to wait until you're on the road to get rerouted to the toll road. Here's what you need to do if YOU want to select the route, vs. having Navi do it for you:
1) After you enter your route & see that it's not taking you the way you want to go (toll-road for instance)..
2) Select the top "menu" button, and then hit the top "menu" button again (you hit it twice).... you will see the same menu as when you first start planning a route..
3) Use the "map" input selection, and use your cursor to find a point on that "other" route you want to include (toll road in this case), and select that..
4) You'll get a prompt asking "new destination or way point?"..
5) Select "Way Point" and you will be re-routed to include this point in your route. (BE SURE TO HIT THE PROPER SIDE OF THE ROAD ... N vs. S, E vs. W, etc., or you'll end up with weird routing & U-turns in your route)

You MAY find that the re-routing takes you onto the toll road for a while & then back off again (if the navi determines getting off is "better" for you). In this case, you'll have to enter multiple way-points to keep you going on the road you want to use (toll road in this case).

I've always been curious about the hierarchy used by navi in choosing roads/routes, but honestly I've come to accept that "it is what it is", and just use it with modified routes when I feel the need. For instance, I'm not sure what the difference really is in "direct route" vs. "easy route".... but then it really doesn't matter that much to me. I keep it set on direct route & haven't had issues.
I DO use way points frequently when I want to map an alternate route due to traffic, desired stop (ACTUAL way point), etc. It's not as 'handy' as more modern routing tools like google maps, etc.; but it is functional & works fine for me.

GOOD LUCK figuring this out for your next trip. Hope you're not dizzy now from all this reading! ! ! :act024::act024::act024:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dnick ... WOW! That was everything and more than I expected. Thank you for a very detailed response that will avoid me sitting for hours waiting for someone at Honda support who would probably tell me less.

Much appreciated!
Best Regards
John

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
You are welcome. I'm sure you'll have your opportunity to help someone else on here some day. Keep in touch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts