Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I loved my 2011 RTL and now I love my 2018 RTL-E, except for using voice recognition for navigating while driving. It never understands what I ask it. I do not have this problem when using Siri, or Waze, or Cortana. It has gotten to the point where I cannot use navigation unless I program it before I start driving. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just my Bronx accent?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Mine works as long as I have the windows up and follow the prompts as directed. I use it for navigation and music search through my USB frequently.

I use the voice prompts for Navigation destinations, Music Search, and Phone Book name search. It's finicky but I guess I've learned what I can and can't say to get it to work.

-Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
The voice recognition is horrible! I find myself screaming at it so much I never use it and instead defer to Siri. Very disappointing that Honda put out such an inferior feature.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I loved my 2011 RTL and now I love my 2018 RTL-E, except for using voice recognition for navigating while driving. It never understands what I ask it. I do not have this problem when using Siri, or Waze, or Cortana. It has gotten to the point where I cannot use navigation unless I program it before I start driving. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just my Bronx accent?
Yes, the voice recognition is absolutely atrocious! E.g., I'll say "brewery" and it'll ask "did you say day spa"...nothing even close. I can't even remember some of the crazy totally unrelated things it asked if I said but they were so absurd that despite my frustration I just started laughing, but still, super irritating! I stopped even trying and no bronx accent ;-)

·
Super Moderator
5,908 Posts
The voice recognition on my G2 is also sub par. I purchased an Amazon auto, on a lark, and it really works pretty good with Alexa. At least she can decipher the words that I speak to her. I wonder if Honda will ever use a "wake" word on their vehicles. It works fantastic in those German cars.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I too have had the Amazon Auto since July (I was a beta tester). It works way better than the Honda voice controls do. Of course there is no actual connectivity to the Honda hardware. The damn 5" touchless PoS radio is about to go too in favor of something with Android Auto and hopefully can make hands free phone calls better than this thing can. Everytime I make a phone call, I have to spin the right knob and select "Hands Free". Really Honda? I am connected to Bluetooth. Of COURSE I want Hands Free!

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does anyone have any tips or tricks for this system? I have added very unique prompts for my speed dials but the system still does not recognize them. It really is a bad system. My Ford Edge basically worked flawlessly with very little effort. I would have thought that Honda would have at least been as good as the Ford. This is my one disappointment with this vehicle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts