Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems with the voice recognition on my 2006 RTL and I’m hoping someone in the ROC has the same, production year, truck w/navi that can help me get it resolved. I ordered my truck in March 05 and received it in June 05. I currently have 99500 miles and have used the voice recognition often. The problem I'm having is that when I press the voice recognition button on the steering wheel, I do not receive a distinctive tone that indicates the system is ready to receive my voice command. I only get a low sound ‘beep” which is the same I receive when I press any other button. I recall receiving a distinctive and louder tone, not just the beep, after pressing the voice recognition button. The instructions on the system even state that, after pressing and releasing the voice button – wait for the tone before speaking. It does not mention the beep you immediately hear when the button is pressed.

Also, I no longer get the small circles, “breadcrumbs”, that show on the map whenever I travel on new highways that are not on the navigation disk. The dealer only had 2008 and 2009 Ridgelines, which uses different software, so I have not been able to compare the function in a like vehicle.

I explained the problem to the Honda dealer and Honda America technician but they say that it is working properly and do not understand why I think there is a problem. I am staring to believe I might be wrong and confusing my navi functions with those of my cell phone bluetooth.

Can someone with the same production year Ridgeline w/navi let me know how your voice recognition functions? Is there a separate tone after releasing the voice button? Do the breadcrumbs still show on your screen?
I’m hoping to get a quick reply because my extended warranty expires after 100K miles.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
In the Settings Display Screen is the volume turned up for the Nav voice?
The off road settings with bread crumb feature is also in another settings sub screen

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
i believe that only the '09 has different software for navi. The 08 disk should still work with your 06'. As for the tone I do get a loud tone signaling that it is read for a voice command. I am not sure why your is a lower beep. I wonder if one of your kids was playing around and changed some settings. Also it might be worth it to get a new DvD so your screen isn't cluttered with "breadcrumbs" when ever your driving on new roads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for responding. I have the nav volume on max and I have offroad tracking set to on. Thanks for confirming the loud tone sound. I know it's asking a lot, but is it possible for you to attach a video with sound or just sound? I have spent two weeks going back and forth with the dealer (ourisman of laurel, md) and the service department act as if they do not understand. Without the loud tone it is difficult for me to know exactly when to speak, so the tone is very helpful.

One other question - when using voice to spell the name of a place or street, do you have to press the voice button before you say each letter (e.g., if you want to spell apple you have to: press the button, then say - a; press button, then say - p; press to button,then say - p, etc)?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
No just spell it out using the NATO Phonetic Alphabet:
Alpha
Bravo
Charlie
Delta
Echo
Foxtrot
Golf
Hotel
India
Julett
Kilo
Lima
Mike
November
Oscar
Papa
Quebec
Romeo
Siera
Tango
Uniform
Victor
Wisky
X-ray
Yankee
Zulu

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
No just spell it out using the NATO Phonetic Alphabet:
Alpha
Bravo
Charlie
Delta
Echo
Foxtrot
Golf
Hotel
India
Julett
Kilo
Lima
Mike
November
Oscar
Papa
Quebec
Romeo
Siera
Tango
Uniform
Victor
Wisky
X-ray
Yankee
Zulu
Adam,Boy,Charlie,David,Edward,Frank,George,Henry,Ida,John,King,Lincoln,MaryOcean,Paul,? Robert,Sam,Tom.Union, Victor,William, X-ray,Yankee, Zebra its been awhile:eek:

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I think you just used the civilian version of the Phonetic Alphabet. Oh, they are both in your Nav manual that came with your truck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts