Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just purchased a 2013 Ridgeline and noticed that the maps program wasn't taking me on known routes do to newer rods. So I ordered new DVD however in an attempt to insert the DVD into the Navigational box under the driver seat, the DVD will not go in. I assumed maybe there was already in the devise. I pressed the eject button however No DVD popped out. So again I tried inserting the DVD but it absolutely wont go in. I noticed when I opened the door on the NAV DVD player the head unit displayed a screen that said "Navigation door is open, or No DVD disk installed. Please check system"

At this point I have no idea on why the new disk wont go in. I've tried pressing the eject button many times thinking this is the reason why the new wont go into the unit, but it doesnt.

Anybody else experience this? Other than running back to the dealer for help what other ideas can folks offer?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
6,697 Posts
Buy a new HU and replace the 15 yr old system (all are the same to '06, and it was in the MDX in '04 or '05 IIRC), or take it to the stealership and have them replace the DVD drive, yours won't be the first that failed, seen it before.

I believe there is a "manual" eject, back or side but if you cannot get it to eject, forcing it to eject won't help the situation

Moderator Note: Thread Moved

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buy a new HU and replace the 15 yr old system (all are the same to '06, and it was in the MDX in '04 or '05 IIRC), or take it to the stealership and have them replace the DVD drive, yours won't be the first that failed, seen it before.

I believe there is a "manual" eject, back or side but if you cannot get it to eject, forcing it to eject won't help the situation

Moderator Note: Thread Moved
When you say buy a new head unit, do you mean from the dealer or aftermarket unit? If aftermarket, then will I lose functionality from the existing system? The problem is that it won't eject if I can get it to eject why won't this help the situation? Ill take a look around on the unit a little closer to see if there is manual eject button and try that before going to get a new HU.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am attaching the Navigation section of the service manual. Pg 23-139 has the DVD ROM troubleshooting guide. See if that helps.

Here is a novel idea >> http://www.fixya.com/cars/t3136764-dvd_stuck_in_dvd_player_in_06_honda
Thank you. Based on this it doesnt look like there is a manual eject button for the nav unit for ejecting the DVD disk. I'm going to try disconnecting the battery and wating an hour or two and see if it will allow me to eject. If not I may disconnect the unit it self to see if I can get the DVD out. I'm sceptical in doing this though due to the sophistication of all the various input controlles. I screw this up and I'll have to purchase a whole new nav unit.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
you can also do the other way: Totally dismantle the DVD Nav unit and pull the disk out.
The actual DVD ROM unit under the seat is 39546-SJC-A06 for your 2013 ('09-'14) and costs a little over $2200. Yes, over two grand and that is if the unit is still available. If you do find out that this DVD unit is bad, you may as well go aftermarket.

·
Super Moderator
6,697 Posts
When you say buy a new head unit, do you mean from the dealer or aftermarket unit? If aftermarket, then will I lose functionality from the existing system? The problem is that it won't eject if I can get it to eject why won't this help the situation? Ill take a look around on the unit a little closer to see if there is manual eject button and try that before going to get a new HU.
AFTERMARKET, you have a '13 but the tech is from '04 IIRC obivously yours isn't 15 years old, looks like @smufguy has already hooked you up on manual info

·
Super Moderator
12,105 Posts
@Netguy, there's definitely a DVD in the drive or your current navigation wouldn't be working - there's no hard drive in this old system so it reads off the DVD.

It could be that the contacts on the eject button have oxidized due to non-use or perhaps the feed roller is hardened after years of seven years and can't grip the disc to push it out. Do you hear any evidence of an attempt for the drive to eject the disc when pressing the eject button such as a motor spinning or solenoid clicking?

In addition to buying a new one or replacing your entire system with aftermarket equipment, also consider buying used from a salvage yard or having your repaired through Alpine (the manufacturer) or a third party who repairs such things.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
An Android based Joying unit with a 8" or a 9" touchscreen would fit your bill as they cost under $400. As much as I like @zroger73 idea, I also cannot see myself spend that to fix an old one with outdated maps.

Getting a Metra bezel adapter kit, wiring adapter kit and the actual Joying unit (JY-UO138N4) should run you approximately $400 and are all self contained.
Joying 8" touchscreen >> https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-latest-android-8-1-octa-core-double-din-car-audio-system-with-4gb-32gb.html

The single DIN 8" units are less expensive than their Double DIN counterparts for the same screen size.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought a 2007 from a friend of mine. It's in great shape and I couldn't pass it up. He just bought a 19 Ridgeline. Anyway, I ordered the btc480 just to get Bluetooth up and running.

It has navigation, and in the near future I would love to put in a new unit that has carplay. What is the level of difficulty on this, keeping the stock speakers? Would also love a back up cam, would be nice to have.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
@driver3 , it is not that hard. You can use the configuration on crutchfield to get a baseline idea of what is needed.

Following my response on post #10, you can buy whatever headunit you want, and run it. Only thing you would have to be concerned with is the factory sub as it is powered by the headunit directly. If you search through ROC, you will find many who have installed aftermarket units in on a vehicle with NAV.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Netguy, there's definitely a DVD in the drive or your current navigation wouldn't be working - there's no hard drive in this old system so it reads off the DVD.

It could be that the contacts on the eject button have oxidized due to non-use or perhaps the feed roller is hardened after years of seven years and can't grip the disc to push it out. Do you hear any evidence of an attempt for the drive to eject the disc when pressing the eject button such as a motor spinning or solenoid clicking?

In addition to buying a new one or replacing your entire system with aftermarket equipment, also consider buying used from a salvage yard or having it repaired through Alpine (the manufacturer) or a third party who repairs such things.

Great, advise. I hear no evidence of any attempt for the drive to eject the disc when pressing the eject button. I didn't happen to see my 2013 model listed in the Short Circuit link you sent me however I remove the unit from under the seat I'm sure I'll be able to identify the Part Number. Ill call the number they have listed on their website prior to sending it off if that's the route I go. So if I were to replace the head unit with the Joying do I still need the DVD navigation under the seat?

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Great, advise. I hear no evidence of any attempt for the drive to eject the disc when pressing the eject button. I didn't happen to see my 2013 model listed in the Short Circuit link you sent me however I remove the unit from under the seat I'm sure I'll be able to identify the Part Number. Ill call the number they have listed on their website prior to sending it off if that's the route I go. So if I were to replace the head unit with the Joying do I still need the DVD navigation under the seat?
Nope, unless you want to use it as a fancy paper weight. Joying unit is all self contained. You just need to power the speakers off the unit, unless you want an amplifier.

The joying unit is similar to a Pioneer or Alpine aftermarket units, that come loaded with a radio, bluetooth and their own navigation. Joying runs on Android.

Search for Joying on YouTube and look through some of the videos of installation and reviews.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
5 Participants
smufguy
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing