Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Honda has a roof rack bike attachment and they have a hitch attached bike carrier, but what about a simple bar that attaches to the front of the bed that you lock your quick release wheels on to?

This just seems so simple and much less expensive.

Has anyone used an aftermarket product like this? On their Ridgeline?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Have the same unit..........works perfect for me as I sometimes use the wifes truck to drive to cycle club rides.

So far so good, its a bit $$ perhaps but I'm lazy and my local shop had stock.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I saw a guy at the local trails that has a rack that he named as "Rack N Roll". It was a pneumatic bike bar that fits in the bed of the truck. Looked pretty neat and should work well for the RL.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found this:

StableLoader

You have to click on "Car and Truck Racks" and then the top left picture.

It's cheaper than Thule or Yakima and will do the trick for me. Also will work in the Ody so that's a plus.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's a couple of pics of a bike rack I made using a Rhode Gear carrier I allready owned. I carry a road bike, and had to add the "spacers" to keep the brake levers from hitting the tailgate. The "eye-bolts" were installed to provide a means to strap it down to keep it from sliding, but I have found that I don't need to use them.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
The wooden bike carrier in my last post just sits in the very back of the bed. The two short pieces of 2x4 are facing the rear of the truck. As stated in the last post, they were necessary to keep the brake levers of the bike from hitting the tailgate. It's heavy enough so it doesn't slide around, and there is only a couple of inches it could slide before the rear wheel of the bike hits the front of the bed. Yes, I know it's a down and dirty way to get it done, but I needed one quick. I was planning on getting a real bike carrier, but this one works great, and I don't have to worry about anyone stealing it! If it doesn't rain Wed. I'll take some pictures of the bike in the truck when I go on a ride.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Wow, downtube shifters. I haven't seen them in years, except downstairs in my basement on my old race bike.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I saved the attached photo some time back from a post (don't remember when or were) but I thought the poster had great ingenuity when he built his own bike rack out of ABS or PVC (plastic pipe.)
Crispy said:
I know Honda has a roof rack bike attachment and they have a hitch attached bike carrier, but what about a simple bar that attaches to the front of the bed that you lock your quick release wheels on to?

This just seems so simple and much less expensive.

Has anyone used an aftermarket product like this? On their Ridgeline?

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rapidrick, do you find that the back of your bike starts to fish tail? Go back and forth when you turn the truck on the road? If so, what was your remedy for that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rapidrick, do you find that the back of your bike fishtails while you are driving the truck? Seems like it would. If so, do you have a remedy for that?

·
Registered
452 Posts
after searching the site, I went with the Thule bar. I have it across the top of the bed in the back, and the in-bed trunk will open with it on,even with bikes on it. you don't need to climb in to attach the bikes. I leave the rear wheels loose for around town trips, just use a quick release strap to tie the rear wheels down on the highway. it is a square aluminum bar with pads on the ends, it ratchets tight to the bed walls and locks in place. comes with two bike mounts. paid $150.00. plus it doesn't interfere with kayaks on the top, plenty of room for both.

·
Registered
416 Posts
That looks good. How does the bikes hold up on the road? does the rear wheels move a lot? I'm doing something like this tomorrow. I"ll post pictures once it's completed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts