Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or volunteers to take a long, complex and sometimes rambling thread such as "wind noise" or "water leaks" and write a very short, concise and accurate synopsis of the problem and solutions. This would not have to e done for every thread, but some threads such as the ones mentioned above could be very valuable to members if they were re-written in a logical format. There could be a sub-catagory in one of the main ones for these "problem resolution" files. Any takers??? :rolleyes:

L

·
0 Posts
hiPSI said:
or volunteers to take a long, complex and sometimes rambling thread such as "wind noise" or "water leaks" and write a very short, concise and accurate synopsis of the problem and solutions. This would not have to e done for every thread, but some threads such as the ones mentioned above could be very valuable to members if they were re-written in a logical format. There could be a sub-catagory in one of the main ones for these "problem resolution" files. Any takers??? :rolleyes:
Sounds like a great plan to me. I'll be glad to help anyone out of the leaky he** I went through. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's one! I've got the wind noise problem now on my truck and I spent hours last night going through that thread. I feel I could write a fairly short article on it and give 99% of the problems and solutions on one page. I would help also. Any more volunteers? :D

·
Registered
311 Posts
Could I request that we NOT mention VIN's in these documents? I think VIN's are a total red herring and would serve as a detrmiment to troubleshooting these issues rather than an aide.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I'll be glad to help once I return from vacation at the end of the month.

I think these synopsis threads will have a lot more value if they are made into sticky threads at the top of each catagory, are moderator-controlled, and are made read-only. There should be no more than 6-8 for each catagory.

Otherwise, all this effort will be worthless in a few weeks after another dozen new threads are started on the same topic with an obscure, cute, or otherwise meaningless thread title that causes grief for the search engine index, and pushes these valuable threads down in the New Posts rank.

This is how other successful sites like this one do it, and it works. You have some great examples in the elementownersclub.com and hondapilot.org sites.

And you know this already - I'm with methodtim on the VIN issue.

·
Registered
460 Posts
T Mac said:
When you guys do write-ups, PLEASE email them to me and I'll start an official ROC How-To/FAQ section that will become extremely helpful for all of us.

Thanks for sharing this info!
FYI T Mac......................more cowbell man........................this is a great idea.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I need more cowbell!

I'd really like to write a summary of the whole auto-unlock issue, since it's really confusing to people (it really is a mis-print, not a programming error)... that being said, can it wait a couple weeks? We're finally pushing out the rest of our baby at work (it feels like we've been in labor for 6 months... which is a horrible analogy on a number of levels) and it's finally due at the end of August. Which is just great, thanks for ruining my entire summer, stupid job!! (I missed both 3-day weekends this summer -- had to work -- and have been working weekends and 12-hour days for 6 months... not to complain or anything, but man, software engineering has turned into such a freakin' sweatshop!)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
flymuck said:
software engineering has turned into such a freakin' sweatshop!)
Tell me about it. I run one. Managing it is no cakewalk, either. :(

·
Registered
626 Posts
It's like herding cats, ain't it? :)

<rant> I'm one of those rare technical people who is actually fairly good at facilitating communication between the geeks and the non-geeks, so even though I'm not in a management position currently, I end up doing some of that work anyway (mostly because the guy who's supposed to be managing us is doing a lousy job, but hey, that's what you get when you have a super-geek in a manager role -- they want to spend more time coding and less time dealing with non-technical issues...). I'm finding more and more, after being in this field for 12+ years, that the geeks are increasingly being treated like slaves, with the *expectation* that we'll just work endless hours to make ridiculous deadlines that were set by clueless product people who never even bothered to establish requirements for said products.

I'm just sayin', is all. :) </rant>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts