Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is a long lengthy post already but doesn't help answer my dilemma.

Im stuck between which tonneau cover I want. Either the Extang Encore or the OEM one.

I want to hear from you guys pros and cons of both

Im not really interested in any others so please dont suggest others.

Im interested in these two being they are hard tops and I like the look of them. I have seen the oem one in person and it doesnt look bad but doesnt look great either.

So I want to hear what the good and bad are of both and if you have owned either as well. Its down to these two for me

I had an 08 ridgeline with the truxedo cover and thats a nice cover as well but just kinda not sure on that yet tbh honest. It does look good but the roll ups can be annoying at times. Thanks guys

·
Registered
926 Posts
There's a couple of threads describing the OEM cover. You can probably get more info there about them. But from what I hear, there is a number of people that have it and are fine with it. Perhaps earlier versions of it are more prone to leak. It doesn't lock either.

The Encore opens from the front as well, and looks like it features a lock. It also has drain tubes, something I would probably not even think about dealing with.

I think the Encore looks way better than the OEM. There are other hardtops that look like the OEM and Encore, the Bak MX4 comes to mind (might look better) but if you're deadset on just those two that's fine. I think there's a few posts in the long Aftermarket tonneau thread about installation, pics, and thoughts of the Encore if you feel like looking. I think the posts are around the beginning of the second half set of pages. I know it's lengthy but I do think that thread would actually help you decide. The Honda tonneau installation thread is the other that should help as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Noside, I read threw them and was still left unclear. Hence this post. I kinda set my limit price at what I can get the encore for.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Hey, I've been following that thread since October and can't even give you a solid top two choices.

Between the two, I would go with the Encore and deal with the drains somehow. I really like the looks, lock, and the fact that it can open from the front as well.

You can get the OEM from Bernadi for $700 though, which is probably the best price around.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The hardest part for me is I love the mounting solutions for the oem but do love the locking etc on the extang lol so I'm torn plus thing to remember to help you guys on my reasoning here. My Ridgeline is leased and I'm not sure if I keeping it and getting another after three years since it's already been in 2 rear end accidents so I can't drill holes etc and i plan to either keep it on if I keep the truck or put it on the new ridge in 3 years ps I found the oem cheap at Honda original parts they are right by Bernardi and have a discount on shipping hence why this decision is even more difficult. About 750 with shipping one day for the oem or the 899 with shipping for the extang

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would make this whole thing easier for everyone since that tonneau thread is so lengthy if owners of each cover could post a detailed thread and post lots of pics of each cover. Going through 100 plus pages to get info on a few or any covers is most difficult and time consuming. Plus I didn't find like pros and cons of each cover individually and not many pics I found. I know which ever cover I get I plan to make a thread of that cover with detailed pics and pros cons etc so it can aid someone else.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Drains on the Encore are no problem, no drilling. Just get an adapter to reduce the existing tubing (I think it was 3/4") down to 1/4" tubing. Fish the 1/4" tubing through the existing drain holes in the front corners of the bed. Use enough tubing to exit out the frame in front of the rear tire. That's what I did on mine, works just fine. I would think you can fine what you need at Home Depot, just cut off a piece of the Encore tubing to find the right adapter fitting. I was lucky to have the stuff already floating around the garage.

·
Registered
708 Posts
So I'm guessing you have the encore? If so can you give some pros and cons of it?
Yes have the Encore. Very happy with it. Like you I was down to the OEM or Encore. One thing I did not like on the OEM, to open it you must release a handle/spring latch in each corner. The Encore both latches are connected together, just pull the string from either side, both latches release, flip the top up. Also on the Encore, I like the fact you can open the front section with turn of a knob that locks. Comes in handy when your load of groceries shifts and slides to the front of the bed.

My previous truck I had a full fiberglass cover which was a real pain to take off. Encore comes off easily with 2 people, or 1 person if I had to.

Con: Not water tight, which is a problem on others, but I'm making progress using weather stripping. I'm happy with the results.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks mtman exactly what I was looking to hear from people who own the products. Even on my old Ridgeline the truxedo had light leaking. I expect the same with any cover but not more of course.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wanted to thank you guys for the input. I ordered the extang encore today should have by the end of the week and then I will post a complete review hopefully with pictures

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just looked at the Extang Encore tonneau cover---part number 62590---according to them the rails do block the opening of the trunk. You only get about 80% of the opening of it. Also it requires two 3/4 inch holes to be drilled in the upper bed by window for the drainage lines.
Here is the link for the Extang cover installation. the last requirement are the holes.
https://static.livechatinc.com/2841232/OKUL5RNAYH/425e5a70aae2cbcd630a67f207c43787/2017 Ridgeline Supplemental Install Instructions.pdf

I am waiting to buy a cover for my RTL-E and am trying to decide---The Extang seems to be more waterproof then the OEM cover. Has anyone with the OEM figured out a way to make it more secure in regards to water?

·
Registered
926 Posts
There is a user with the Encore, he didn't drill but just used some adapters go connect thinner hoses to it. I may go that around.

·
Premium Member
4,211 Posts
An alternative may be to build a little levee (reservoir) around onla couple of the existing bed drain holes, and run the drain tube(s) right into the reservoir.

I see two issues with reducing the drain tube diameter:
1) will smaller diameter be sufficient to transport the needed amount of water during a heavy rainstorm? May be remedies somewhat by splitting and reducing to multiple smaller tubes...
2) debris might get caught in tube as it is reduced, thereby clogging and backing up the main tube.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts