Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I am new to this board being that I just purchased my ridgeline last night. So now before all you rookies go and call me a newbie I just want to state that I have searched the board for my answers and am just wanting a quick answer to my questions.

I have a RTS but did not purchase the tow package being that the dealer wanted another $1000 for it. I do however need a hitch fo my 17 foot boat. The boat has the simple wiring plug of the 4 connectors.

So first question:
What is the best and cheapest hitch to buy? Drawtite, Hidden hitch, uhaul, Curt?

Where can I buy it and at what cost?

I have a hitch store nearby my house that stated that they have the right hitch for me and will cost me $200 installed or $150 not. (Is the $50 savings worth the hassle of doingit myself?)
They also mentioned at the storethat they have a wiring harness that would plug into the factory trailer wiring harness for $40-$50. Does that sound about right?? I know there are some that just plug into your taillight but I have heard negative talk about that method. If this wiring does plug right into the factory one tha i found do I need to do anything else?? (Like under t he dash??) Keep in mind I have no use for brake control or trailer charging.

Lastly do is there a prefernce over Square or round tube hitches and does anyone have pics of both styles?

Thanks a bunch. Any help will be appreciated!

- Brandon

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Welcome aboard DetroitRidgeline and congratulations! You are in for a great ride! I don't have the expertise to answer your questions but I am absolutely sure that other members will be able to answer them for you. I am constantly amazed about the quantity and quality of information that is exchanged on this site. I learn something new every day. Be patient, the answer is out there.

Once again, wlecome aboard!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Welcome to the Board and Congratulations!

We are still driving a loaner Ridgeline RTL (drove it off the lot with 11 miles on it), as we have been waiting on our made to order Ridgeline since September 8th :eek: . However, the one we have ordered has the tow package so I can't help you any, sorry :( .

Love the fact that the Motor City has Honda Ridgeline's represented ;)

Again, welcome and Enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I put on a Hidden Hitch. It wasn't too difficult. The main problem can be dealt with if you have a buddy help with the install. Mine was a perfect fit. The problem is you must raise both sides at the same time. It's not all that heavy but it it is awkward.

I purchased the OEM installation kit (everything but the hitch) from my dealer for $130. There are some installation posts here so do a search. I attached the hitch electrical connectors to the hitch with a universal mount I got from etrailers.com. I used the OEM package because it runs through a relay so you are pulling 12 volts instead of sharing the power with the taillights and brake lights. Much brighter lights.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I really got a steal on my factory hitch. $453 installed, including wiring in the Prodigy. They couldn't have made a lot of money on that one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow! Your dealership wanted a grand for the tow package? I paid $525.00 Canadian and thought I was getting worked over. (mind you I guess I was since you're about to pay $200.00 U.S.).

Good luck with your towing endeavours....

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had my dealer install for $595.00. This is in NY where we expect to get hosed in a regular basis. I'm glad I did because no shortcuts were taken and all Honda warranties remain in place. You might want to shop other dealers.
Good luck.

·
Registered
536 Posts
THe hitch is two parts:

1) hitch
2) wiring

You can get the wiring online for much less than the dealer wants.
For the hitch, either go OEM or aftermarket. If you go aftermarket verify that there is a mounting point for the trailer connector. If you go OEM on the hitch you will need to get it local as the shipping will, most likely, be very high.

Either install the hitch and wiring yourself or get your favorite garage to do it. Just bring them the parts. For the OEM wiring harness and hitch there are really nice PDF instructions you can download

·
Registered
214 Posts
I went with the OEM for both Hitch and wires.

I would do both again. Hitch seemed to be on the high side for cost, but after spending so much on the truck I stopped thinking about it.

There is a good thread on this group for the install.

Oh, almost forgot. I the salesmen gave me a his % employee discount on the parts so I did not have to deal with shipping.

Make friends with the parts department show him the online price, use the dealer in RI. That way it is a Honda dealer ship. If they don't deal on something that is light and does not cost much to ship, buy it online.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I got the OEM hitch and wiring with my deal, but I saw the "work order" for the parts and labor $595. Find a new dealer and get the Honda hitch.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Detroit, welcome.

You could also look to buy the Honda hitch yourself online:

Handaccessories.com

Hondacuraworld.com

The second one is $453 and includes shipping. These sites are great for other accessories as well.

I've decided to have mine factory installed tomorrow -$629+tx. (best dealership price I could find around...) The dealership I bought from wanted $1,000 so you may want to shop around between dealerships.

I also spoke to a guy that owns a U-haul and they might install whatever you buy, and it would be less.

I know another Ridgeline owner who had a drawlite hitch installed and she likes it.

Good luck and congrats on your new RL!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Getting the factory installed hitch, wiring harness and roof racks put on Tuesday by my dealer.
The cost of parts and installation came to $950, less a 15% discount, + 6% sales tax.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Sounds like a dealer rip off. See paste below:

Trailer Hitch
Genuine Honda Ridgeline trailer hitch, class III.
Includes draw bar, hitch pin, and cover.
Harness, lcoking hitch pint and hitch ball are sold separately below.

- Shipping Information Availability:
View Installation Instructions
Note: the shipping charge on the hitch is high due to UPS charging the shipping as an OS3 shipment because of the size of the hitch.
Honda's Retail $325.00
our Price $250.80

·
Registered
22 Posts
I purchased my hitch on line with Hondas on line buying service and named the dealer which I had do the installation. Honda preset costs so there werent any obscene profits by greedy dealers. The cost was about 75.00 for dealer to install for a total of about 650. I too was quoted about 1,000 when asked about the hitch during negotions for the price when bought it new. Dealers will always to jack up the price to take advantage of buyers....just say no.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sounds like a dealer rip off. See paste below:

Shipping Information Availability:
View Installation Instructions
Note: the shipping charge on the hitch is high due to UPS charging the shipping as an OS3 shipment because of the size of the hitch.
Honda's Retail $325.00
our Price $250.80
I don't get it. Are you saying that the hitch alone, before shipping and any installation is $325 honda and $250 from the aftermarket, plus shipping to the east cost.
What about the harness price?

OK, I priced it up on Handa
$ 250 Hitch
$258
$138 Harness
Shipping was big $

The total for parts and shipping to the east coast from Handa came to
"Total Cost = $790.23"
That is higher then my dealer beacuse of the shipping. Why not move Handa to Central NJ so I can pick up the parts and save some $

·
Registered
363 Posts
I purchased the Honda hitch from my dealer since they matched H&A's price. For the money, I say go Honda all the way. It's pretty easy to install if you have a buddy. Yeah, you might save a few bucks going aftermarket, but if you bought this truck, it means you like quality, and therefore, you'll be happier with the Honda hitch.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I didn't check, but does anyone know what U-HAUL would charge to install their hitch?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts