Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'd greatly appreciate some help determining a recent leak on my 07 ridge with 82,000 miles. Please see pics. The leak is close to the power steering reservoir, but I do not believe that is where it is coming from. I do not know a lot about cars, but I believe the leak is coming from whatever part that is mounted off the front of the engine by the belts. When I back in my driveway, which is a slight incline, it drips down on the bolt mounted to the fram and runs towards the front. I felt under there and feel some of the oily substance, but not sure what or where exactly it is coming from. It doesn't seem to be very bad, but still concerning. I wish I could describe the situation better. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
One or more of the motor mounts on the Ridgeline is fluid-filled. I don't know if that is one of them or not (motor mount on that side). I believe the fluid from the mount is a yellow-green color. Maybe 'sop' some of that leaking liquid with a white paper towel to check color.

Otherwise, you should be able to use a flashlight & mirror to look around/under the components mounted there to trace the liquid trail?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,376 Posts
Just a suggestion. Clean the area & dry it so there is nothing there. Then place a white towel, t-shirt or even a piece of paper in the area. Then once a small amount is on there, pull the dipstick for oil, place something clean in the Power steering reservoir & the brake fluid reservoir. Using the 'drip' method you should be able to identify the type of fluid. Then you can try to trouble shoot where the leak is once you know what it is that is leaking

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I will try those ideas and get back to you. Thanks for the quick response. Can anyone tell me what the part name is of the part above the leak?

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Has the appearance of power steering fluid. I'd check the low and high pressure hoses for leaks.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,376 Posts
Ok I will try those ideas and get back to you. Thanks for the quick response. Can anyone tell me what the part name is of the part above the leak?
Like Dnick said that is a motor mount. I'm also unsure if if that mount is filled with hydraulic fluid

·
Registered
2,563 Posts

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Well, I just looked at a parts diagram, and that side mount near your leak is the most expensive of the 3, so I'm guessing it might be fluid-filled? It costs just over $100 (depending on which OEM source you use of course).

FYI, the little square thingy in front of the mount is the "side stopper dynamic damper" that works with the mount.

Your PS reservoir/lines are just forward of all that. It might be easier to 'visually' diagnose if you has a larger field of view in your picture.... that is, include the are forward of the area you showed. You want to know if there is fluid leaking our of your reservoir or from any point on the hoses. If I had to blind guess, I'd say you're more likely to have a PS fluid leak than a motor mount leak.

Like someone else suggested; clean it up & then watch to see where the leak comes from. Start your engine & turn the wheels lock-to-lock a couple of times to get pressure in your PS system working. You should be able to tell if there's a leak pretty quickly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm fairly certain after doing some more research it is the engine mount that is leaking fluid. The thread that Elkhunter shared is spot on to my issues. I found the part online for $60 for the side mount. Called honda, they said it is $250 for them to replace that one. My budding is an engineer for honda and thinks we can do it ourselves, but I'm not sure about that yet. I am starting to hear the noise that some talk about when I start and stop as well. I was hoping to to make it to my next scheduled maintenance (i'm at 30% oil) before repairing, but now I'm concerned I could be causing undo stress to the other 2 mounts. When I was on the phone with Honda they quoted me an additional $250 if the front engine mount is bad, and the rear one is $380 (I believe because it is the hardest to get to).

If I can find time this week I'll probably go ahead and take it in. I will keep everyone posted what I find out. It's a bummer, but for an 07 with 82,000 I have yet to have to do anything besides put a new battery in her.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
My front mount was replaced at 34,000 miles (under warranty) so don't feel like the Lone Stranger.
If I had to pay for it I would have gone to an indie mechanic. A good 20% off those estimates. If you can find a reputable one....or can DIY.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: Finally was able to get into to Honda to have them take a look at was was going on. They just called and said side and front motor mounts are bad ($600 for them to replace). The more bad news is they are saying my front sway bar linkage is broke as well ($165). I do zero off roading, so I'm wondering why i'm having all these issues. I don't feel like I drive very rough, however I do haul stuff from time to time (just recently hauled a scoop of topsoil, and 2 trips of mulch - each with about a scoop and a half). I also have a significant curb I go over going into my driveway. Does anyone think these could contribute to the issues I'm having? Or just normal wear for an 07 ridge with 80,000 miles?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Update: Finally was able to get into to Honda to have them take a look at was was going on. They just called and said side and front motor mounts are bad ($600 for them to replace). The more bad news is they are saying my front sway bar linkage is broke as well ($165). I do zero off roading, so I'm wondering why i'm having all these issues. I don't feel like I drive very rough, however I do haul stuff from time to time (just recently hauled a scoop of topsoil, and 2 trips of mulch - each with about a scoop and a half). I also have a significant curb I go over going into my driveway. Does anyone think these could contribute to the issues I'm having? Or just normal wear for an 07 ridge with 80,000 miles?
The stabilizer end links were updated (I think around 2009). The new style is more "beefy". Replace all four of them, because they will all break eventually.

Some on here have had engine mounts fail, but it is not a common problem. Did you buy the truck used? If so, perhaps the previous owner was a "spirited" driver.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts