Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I just purchased a used 2006 ridgeline from a private party that only came with the grey buttonless "valet" key.

I need help/suggestions on how I can get a new key cut and programmed for less than the:
$75.00 for the cut key from my local honda dealer parts dept.and
$120.00 for the local honda dealer service dept. to program it

I think $195.00 plus tax is quite steep for a Key!!??

I downloaded instructions on how to self program which calls for a sequence of a series of button pushes and key turns, which may or may not be valid because the locksmiths I spoke to say that the dealer must do it.

I have seen the blank key on Ebay for about $35.00 or so, but then what about cutting it ??

Sorry if this has been answered already somewhere but I did try to look and couldnt find out exactly what information I needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
652 Posts
What did the owner do with the 2 keys that came with it?

My understanding is that it involves the OBD computer which is why the Dealer needs to acivate it, but I may be wrong. I do not think you are going to have much luck on how to validate a key.

We all OWN RL's too and would like to keep them in our driveway. Giving out the type of instructions you are asking about, would kinda be like leaving the key in the ignition with the motor running. I would be more concered about the guy who sold it to me...and the missing keys. (runnning to dealer for new keys) :)

You say that you have the valet key only.. I believe your best help is going to come from a Honda Dealer.

There are also several good links at the bottom of this page... Hope these help you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

hi, thanks for your reply

the original owner's daughter lost the black remote key, all i have is the grey nonremote key

but all that I am trying to do is find out if I buy a blank remote key for $35

would a locksmith be able to cut it or does the dealer have to

and would i be able to program it or does the dealer have to

i am not trying to get anyone mad or vehicles stolen, just trying to save some $$

as we all want to do in this economy

·
Registered
652 Posts
Not a problem and did not want to make you have to be defensive.. I am sure you can get the key cut anywhere, just making it work may require Dealer assistance.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I downloaded instructions on how to self program which calls for a sequence of a series of button pushes and key turns, which may or may not be valid because the locksmiths I spoke to say that the dealer must do it.
The instructions you are reffering to are most likely to program key fob portion of the key for the door locks.

If you buy a key on Ebay, you need to be sure it is for a Ridgeline. You will most likely have to have a dealer cut the key and have them program it..IIRC you should have all other keys with you to be sure they program them all. The lost keys should no longer work afterwards.

·
Registered
303 Posts
JoeyKool
Do yourself a huge favor. Get everything you need from Honda.
Find out exactly what you need from Honda, and then shop Honda dealers for the best price.
Look for dealer parts/service discount coupons (on the net, local papers, etc.)

Getting these type of items from eBay and dealing with a locksmith is very risky.
What if the key don't work? The locksmith points to your eBay seller and your eBay seller points to the locksmith. What if the Honda dealer cannot code the key you purchased from eBay? You're out the $.

The original owners daughter lost ONE black remote key.
Where is the SECOND black remote key?

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I'm not sure what the physical difference is between the valet and remote keys. I know the valet key wont open/lock the glove compartment or the trunk.
If the new keys are cut the same as the valet will it work on these locks?
I also recommend getting the news keys from the dealer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys,
The guy I got the truck from wasn't too helpful, he only had the one buttonless key that I call the valet key that you give to a parking attendant to park your car for you because it doesn't open the glove box or trunk. He said his daughter "lost" the remote/key.
I had been carless for about 2 months and was starting to go a little stir crazy.
I searched high and low for a BLACK ( I had to get black, it was my #1 criteria) ridgeline with low miles and good price and the dealers weren't budging. The closest black one I was considering to me for $18,900 I actually saw pulling out of the dealership as I was arriving ( Just my luck ). Virtually all of the ones on the web either had high miles, high price or were too far away from me. So when I came across this one, 30 miles away the voices in my head spoke to me said to get it. I got it for a real good price - $14,900. It's an RTS with 60K, new michelins, mechanically sound. The truck had a pretty scratched up rear bumper and a small football sized dent in the rear upper quarter panel and a small 3 inch dent in the front corner and a few scapes here and there, from the guys daughter's "driving". The rest of the paint was very clear and shiney. The owner also said that he had placed a salad on the passenger seat and it spilled dressing and stained it. My body man said he could restore it to brand new condition in and out for $1200, so I went for it. I think $16,100 for a truck that looks brand new is very cool. Similar ones I've seen are going for around $19,000.
I am recovering from hip resurfacing surgery that I had this summer and am not working so any way I can save here and there is very helpful. Also I am thankful for now being able to climb up into a vehicle as opposed to my old Chrysler Sebring that I had for 13 years that was insanely low to the ground. Also my son's hockey equipment isnt sticking halfway out of my trunk anymore.

I will call around to other honda dealers to see if I can get a better price. If not I might have to go the $35 eBay route. Thank you to all and I am psyched to be a Ridgeline Owner !

·
Premium Member
4,576 Posts
If you haven't had any dealings with you local Honda Dealership, now is the time to start. I had an existing relationship with my dealership and they cut a spare key for me for free. I just needed a key to get inside the truck incase I locked myself out again (aftermarket alarm and autolocks had left me locked out on two occasion) Call around and see which dealership is hungry for your business. Those guys don't make much on auto sales, but the make a killing on service and repair. Get to know them and work with them. You'll find the better they know you, the more they'll work to make a deal for you. Good luck with your truck. You made the right decision in getting it in Black.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A few years ago I purchased a used Altima with 1 key. I bought a second remote key on Ebay and that came with programming instructions and was able to have the key cut to match the original. Your problem is that the key you have will not open the glove box or trunk. When do you ever need to lock these with a key? The remote locks the trunk when you lock the Ridge. When do you ever use a valet? As long as it starts the Ridge, you are OK. If you look at the feedback of the seller, you can easily see if he there is a good chance he is selling a reliable product. I had a good experience with my Ebay purchase but there are no guarantees. Good luck. Eric

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
You should check out some of online Honda Dealer parts sites...H and A is a sponsor of the forum. They show the remote key for $30.50 + shipping.

Scroll down to see the key.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/ridgelinemaint.html

CollegeHills Honda and Bernardi are other online parts dealers. The part number for the correct key is 35111-SHJ-305

www.collegehillshonda.com

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CHHAC&Product_Code=35111-SHJ-305

http://www.bernardiparts.com/SearchOptions.aspx

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, you guys for your support and help.

You all have some very impressive vehicles out there.

Right now being a freshman my car is fairly "naked" but I atleast eventually intend on putting on the rear splash guards, running boards, hitch step, Ridgeline & ROC decals.

I guess I should have explained that I live about 35 miles north of Manhattan and I have a daughter that goes to college there, so I am in and around Manhattan fairly often. In addition, I help out at my aunt's rental property which is in a not so great area of my county. Lastly, I take my son to all over god's creation to play hockey. So I have a certain degree of paranoia and apprehension entering these areas and leaving my vehicle. I have an Ipod hooked up as well as a Garmin GPS, it would be nice to be able to lock these things etc. in my glove box and hand the parking attendant in Manhattan my "valet" key only and be 99% assured that my belongings will still be there when I get my car back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts