Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did some searching but most threads are pretty old. What is the current thinking on a replacement air filter? I am guessing oem, but would invest in aftermarket performance or even an air intake kit if there was a benefit.

My experience with my s2000 is Honda designed a damn fine air intake and as much as everyone tries improving on it is very difficult.

Is the rl the same?

· Registered
3,082 Posts
I buy both air and cabin filters on Amazon. I usually go for a brand name like Wix etc. plenty of choices and I don't think any of them are particularly better than others unless you go for higher end performance stuff.

· Registered
1,361 Posts
Purchased my most recent intake air filter from Rock Auto. Options from about $3 up to $20+. I bought the $11 version (best I could tell they are all Chinese). The OEM filter is like $18+ship last time I looked online. The OEM filter (Filtech) used to look much higher quality in years past, but my faint recollection of the last one I bought was that it appeared no better than the aftermarket version. These things change.

· Registered
4,633 Posts
I got mine at auto zone, don't remember the brand, but the cabin filter was twice as much as the air filter.

· Registered
1,103 Posts
Did some searching but most threads are pretty old. What is the current thinking on a replacement air filter? I am guessing oem, but would invest in aftermarket performance or even an air intake kit if there was a benefit.

My experience with my s2000 is Honda designed a damn fine air intake and as much as everyone tries improving on it is very difficult.

Is the rl the same?
I use OEM oil filters on my RTL and S2000, but cabin/engine air filters I use WIX and buy them from Rock, change them every April after the pollen is over....

· Registered
114 Posts
I just changed mine today. got it from Amazon.com for $17.37 and free shipping with my Prime account. it is a FRAM brand, which I have trusted for years.

Fram CA10015 Extra Guard Rigid Panel Air Filter

Be careful when tightening the screws on the filter housing. Did not over torque but it snapped off. if it leaks I will have the drill out and retap or drill through and put nut on bottom of new bolt.

· Premium Member
11,332 Posts
Purolator or WIX for me when it comes to filters. (Mahle for oil). I have been happy with the Fram Charcoal activated cabin filters.

· Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,179 Posts
There is some concern of the oil that is used on K&N filters clogging some sensitive electronics within the intake stream. It's not proven if that's true or not, but for the money, a stock replacement paper filter is best. It filters as well or better than a K&N and it's a simple swap out. You can get 4 brand new filters online over an expensive K&N that requires cleaning and re-oiling. Some may say they see performance or mileage increases with the K&N, but I can't help but think that may just be a placebo effect or "butt dyno" as STUV said. To each, their own.

· Premium Member
11,332 Posts
Yes, cleaning and re-oiling requires an additional purchases for those items.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.