Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is regarding the Android car play. (I think that's what it's called)

I've always had a basic flip phone and really only use it for emergencies or when it's linked to the car's infotainment system.

Here's some additional information about my use of a cell phone;

• I don't text.
  • I don't use social media.
  • I'd never watch a movie on a cell/smart phone.
  • I don't see any need, nor would I want to surf the internet on a cell/smart phone.
  • Emails? Maybe. But I'd only read them. Can't see trying to type a reply on that micro keypad.

I've also read that you could use the Google maps from the phone instead of the stock navigation in the RL. But I happen to really like the Garmin graphics and operation.

So with all that said, is there any function, benefit or other operation that I don't know about if I were to get a smartphone and link it to the truck via the Android option?

My feeling is that I should stay with my basic flip phone and save the additional wireless costs.

· Registered
276 Posts
Based on what you have stated, getting a smart phone... weather it be an Android or and Apple solely because of the infotainment system in the truck is not a really good justification for the extra expense. I personally feel that a smart phone in this day and age is a good choice if you want to enhance your productivity, both personally and certainly professionally if you have the kind of job that lends it self to it. Smart phone are not solely for social media, with a smartphone you can access the above said things you mentioned such as Google, etc.... I will be taking delivery soon on an RTL-T and I see myself using the included Garmin system. However based on past experience I know that regardless of how often you update the Garmin system ( I believe that the have about 4 updates a year ) it will never be up to date like Google or Google maps would be. In my personal experience with my Apple phone, for regular navigation I use the included Apple Maps, for navigating to places that I may know the name but not the address I will use Google or I may even just search the maps looking for the tagged waypoints and lastly I will use the WAZE app for travel that I want to know the road hazards, conditions or traffic in my route.

So, buying a smart phone solely because of the truck, not a strong case. Getting a smartphone to enhance your daily routine or life then you have a justifiable reason. This is solely my opinion and I'm sure we will all chime in.

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Based on what you have stated, getting a smart phone... weather it be an Android or and Apple solely because of the infotainment system in the truck is not a really good justification for the extra expense. I personally feel that a smart phone in this day and age is a good choice if you want to enhance your productivity, both personally and certainly professionally if you have the kind of job that lends it self to it. Smart phone are not solely for social media, with a smartphone you can access the above said things you mentioned such as Google, etc.... I will be taking delivery soon on an RTL-T and I see myself using the included Garmin system. However based on past experience I know that regardless of how often you update the Garmin system ( I believe that the have about 4 updates a year ) it will never be up to date like Google or Google maps would be. In my personal experience with my Apple phone, for regular navigation I use the included Apple Maps, for navigating to places that I may know the name but not the address I will use Google or I may even just search the maps looking for the tagged waypoints and lastly I will use the WAZE app for travel that I want to know the road hazards, conditions or traffic in my route.

So, buying a smart phone solely because of the truck, not a strong case. Getting a smartphone to enhance your daily routine or life then you have a justifiable reason. This is solely my opinion and I'm sure we will all chime in.
Thanks for your detailed opinion. I should have also mentioned that I'm retired. So there's no need to enhance productivity (lol) or any professional concern. At this point in life, the only thing that I'd want to learn is how to do the backstroke. :grin:

· Registered
276 Posts
Then the only reason that I could use to justify a possible smartphone is for when you are taking those epic rides and need to connect with the working world, check email, check bank accounts... Then maybe you can justify it. If not, continue to enjoy your simple way of life.

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then the only reason that I could use to justify a possible smartphone is for when you are taking those epic rides and need to connect with the working world, check email, check bank accounts... Then maybe you can justify it. If not, continue to enjoy your simple way of life.
For those 'rare' rides, my wife has a smartphone she uses extensively. She can do all the checking.

Yeah, I like my simple way of life. Low key, low tech and out of the main stream. :wink:

· Registered
1,781 Posts
I don't do the big social media apps either. I text but rarely, I'd rather talk to someone compared to sending emoji's or having a complete conversation over a keyboard. That's a PITA to me and it takes more time to convo over text than audio.

The smartphone, for me....
Music. I get to carry around most of my albums with me. I like that a lot. The Ipod or whatever is built into it. I can listen to 80-90% of my albums at any time with a few clicks.
Home automation. With the phone I control my home alarm, garage door, thermostat, sprinkler system and pool. I've had times where I forgot to arm the alarm at home, click, click, done. And times where I forgot to close the garage door and arm the alarm. There are many times I get tied up, for an extended period of time, and can remotely turn the thermostat up or down depending on the time of year and save myself $. Same goes for the sprinkler system. I have a "smart" controller but there are times when not at home, it runs, and I shut it off due to wind. No use spending the money on water when it gets blown to oblivion. The pool I get to make changes to timers without moving or firing up the hot tub remotely. So it has more home use than car/truck but..

With vehicles, over time, the phone makes me not dependent on the vehicle's radio and navigation. Head units in vehicles don't update like a smartphone so the phone leaves the car's head unit for dead within a year of purchase. With Android Auto and Apple carplay, you've got some future proofing of the head unit via the phone. I use my phone for all audio. Even with Sirius/XM, it's much cheaper to buy there online only subscription than it is for satellite service. I've got Sirius/XM via the phone so unless I'm in BFE it works just as well.

Then there is being able to check the Ridgeline forum from the doctor's office, or work, or anywhere you are bored. Especially shopping with the Mrs, like at a mall. I'd rather go to the food court, sit down with a drink or meal, and use the browser on the phone. Standing around in the store while she tries everything on, then puts it back, oh my I don't have the patience. It drives me crazy. My family doctor now has a flatscreen playing ads and what not so I take my wired earbuds and phone and get to avoid all that.

Then there is email.

The poor uses of this technology is what makes the press. I don't use mine for most of what everyone else does. My favorite thing about these phones is the do not disturb. 24/7 I set it to take calls from my personal and work contacts only. If it's a telemarketer, some business, etc, it goes straight to voicemail, doesn't even ring. So the tech enables me to 86 the riff raff. I only enable all calls when I have an appointment with the plumber or something like that, when I'm expecting a call from someone. Do not disturb is the equivalent of "get off my lawn!"

· Registered
50 Posts

I've always had a basic flip phone and really only use it for emergencies or when it's linked to the car's infotainment system.

• I don't text.
  • I don't see any need, nor would I want to surf the internet on a cell/smart phone.
  • Emails? Maybe. But I'd only read them. Can't see trying to type a reply on that micro keypad.

I've also read that you could use the Google maps from the phone instead of the stock navigation in the RL. But I happen to really like the Garmin graphics and operation.

So with all that said, is there any function, benefit or other operation that I don't know about if I were to get a smartphone and link it to the truck via the Android option?

My feeling is that I should stay with my basic flip phone and save the additional wireless costs.
I am very fond of the techonogy in my RTl E. Also which I could have got a Forest Mist version. I use both the Garmin system and Google maps on my late model Samsung. Android Auto let's me use voice commands like "Where can I get a good taco in this town" and off we go. If you are 50 years and retired, not only am I jealous but you better hop on board and get a smart phone. If you are 70 and retired, give it some thought. Can you plug in you wife's smart phone and check it out? I have been loving Audible on my smartphone. Excellent interface with the truck and you can entertain or educate yourself while you drive. For an entertaining introduction to eastern philosophy check out "Out of your mind" by Alan Watts. Do you enjoy music while driving? What is your preferred source? For some a smart phone is necessary. Data plan/smart phones are quite expensive. Hope this enlightens rather than confuses.

· Registered
3,718 Posts
If you could forego the Honda Sensing, you should have gotten an RTS and a smartphone.:grin: I have found that Honda doesn't support phones so as your car gets older I would prefer to have control from the phone instead of how the car can accommodate it. So in your case, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Hopefully going forward the Android Auto and Car Play will work with any phone in the future just like bluetooth does.

Smartphones are great but for retired folks that have internet access at home a flip phone gives minimal connectivity but that's all the conncectivity anyone had 10 years ago.

I held off on cell phones for the longest time to avoid the expense but was working down in the city during 9/11. Now I know where my teenage daughters are with the find friends feature on the smartphones, pricless IMO. It would have been nice to be able to contact my family who was worried. Sometiimes it's nice to have the latest and the greatest.

· Premium Member
2022 Black Edition [Nov 24, 2021] - Traded 2017 B.E. [Sept 23, 2016]
1,235 Posts

• I don't text.

Here's my take: Not to bury the lead, but your smartphone can be tethered for Honda-Link, if that matters (not that it would to me, just saying). Also as an FYI to Google Android and Apple Carplay... those systems are part of your phone and update with the phone. I have never used Android's, but I can tell you that Apple Carplay is pretty bad.

If Apple Carplay is any indication:
* You will get frustrated at the response time given before it times-out on a question
* You cannot edit texts very easily if you pause of make an error
* You cannot call or text individuals with multiple numbers easily
* There are some times you cannot get back to regular AM/FM/XM radio once in Carplay
* Cannot negotiate call handling if you are on a call already when you start the vehicle

There are a lot of issues like that. But the positive note is that given "enough" time, maybe eventually it will get better. But after all of that is said, purely for the Navigation, I find it useful. It does navigation better than the stock unit (but you say you like the stock system anyway). Even with that positive for me, I wouldn't say it is enough to make that the sole decision. And even though Carplay runs from the phone, it is separated when you unplug. So a map you had on one, does not transfer to the other (Apple's behavior anyway).

So, to cut to the chase. You can choose to get a smartphone anytime you would feel you want to use the features... and additionally, you can always ask a friend/family-member that may have one to link it if you want to try it, It doesn't cost anything. But seeing your list of criteria, I don't think you would be missing much. Maybe having a smartphone for other reasons may be beneficial, but "probably" not just for Carplay.

***Edit: Another thing to keep in mind is, if you dislike it and hope that updates from Google or Apple improve it, those updates can be very limited on Android, as those phones are not always updatable to the latest Android. So, maybe you might find yourself stuck on an old version. Apple, on the other hand can typically update quite a few generations before the phone is locked on a lower version.

Good luck, hope it helps.

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First and foremost, I'd like to thank everyone who responded to this thread.

At this point, I highly doubt I'll be getting the smartphone. The only slight benefit I see for me, is the ability to check my emails as I'm on a couple of forums with this being one of them. I understand the positive aspect of the google maps being updated more often than the stock garmin software in the truck's infotainment system. But, we rarely go anywhere that we're already not familiar with. I don't have any electronic systems in the house that can be accessed with a smartphone and have no interest in being constantly aware of current events requiring internet access all the time. As for my music, I have all of my favorite 50s & 60s songs on thumb drives which are in both vehicles. No need to listen to music other then at home or when driving.

At 65 years old, I have no interest in learning anything new. I'm the classic dictionary definition of a person who's "Burnt Out", lol. Just wanna keep life as simple as possible now. And would you believe that the majority of my working career was in the computer and technology profession? Now, when I have the slightest computer issue at home,,, I call my son to fix it. Yeah,,, I'm burnt out, lol.

So with all that said. I'll just stick to my simple flip phone for car connectivity and emergencies that I hope will never happen.

Again, thanks for all the interest and suggestions! :smile:

· Registered
292 Posts
My dad spends half his life here, the other half in Florida. Rather than deal with moving his wifi from one house to the other, or god forbid paying for internet in both houses, he got a smart phone and uses the wifi tethering to take his wifi with him. He also likes the google maps for walking around.

These are the reason my retired father had for getting a smart phone so perhaps they will help. He doesn't really use it in his car other than to send and receive calls when he is driving. He is 86 and needs all the help he can get driving from St Louis to Miami.

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My dad spends half his life here, the other half in Florida. Rather than deal with moving his wifi from one house to the other, or god forbid paying for internet in both houses, he got a smart phone and uses the wifi tethering to take his wifi with him. He also likes the google maps for walking around.

These are the reason my retired father had for getting a smart phone so perhaps they will help. He doesn't really use it in his car other than to send and receive calls when he is driving. He is 86 and needs all the help he can get driving from St Louis to Miami.
I don't have a summer residence and really do very little traveling in areas that I'm not already familiar with. The only reason I was considering one was to take full advantage of the Ridgeline's infotainment system with the Andriod Auto. I personally LOVE the stock Garmin maps, but having the Google maps in the Smartphone as a backup and more updated version as time passes is a plus. And,,,, I guess it would be nice to at least check your emails when time allows. But I'd still refuse to text!!!! lol

· Registered
1,781 Posts
I don't have a summer residence and really do very little traveling in areas that I'm not already familiar with. The only reason I was considering one was to take full advantage of the Ridgeline's infotainment system with the Andriod Auto. I personally LOVE the stock Garmin maps, but having the Google maps in the Smartphone as a backup and more updated version as time passes is a plus. And,,,, I guess it would be nice to at least check your emails when time allows. But I'd still refuse to text!!!! lol
I can call my carrier right now and turn sms (text messaging) off completely. It's not a requirement to have it and I've turned the chit off before. If you get a smartphone you can tell them you do not want text messaging. A few friends would just text and text me, and I got tired of it so I turned it off for a few months. One by one they actually called and said "Why haven't you responded?" I then informed them I'm not 13 years old and don't want to have an hour conversation over that medium. Pick up the g damn phone! "I prefer text" is what one said and I replied "Well it was nice knowing you then." That person got the point. I actually told 4-5 people the same thing. I save money by having a small text plan, only a few hundred a month of them. Allows me to have unlimited data. I pay $68 a month with tax due to not having unlimited text and calling, don't need it. Some people do group texts where they send a txt message out to like 20 people. Each person that responds it goes to all 20 people. I've straight up called the carrier and completely blocked their number entirely because I got so sick of it. With the new phones, you can block anyone you want right from your phone. :grin:
As I said prior, I really like the smartphone for much different reasons than most. Blocking people is numero uno. If you aren't in my contact list, programmed into my phone, your dumb ass is going straight to voicemail. It won't even ring. Works great for telemarketers. Keep on knocking but you can't come in! - Little Richard. :grin:

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can call my carrier right now and turn sms (text messaging) off completely. It's not a requirement to have it and I've turned the chit off before. If you get a smartphone you can tell them you do not want text messaging. A few friends would just text and text me, and I got tired of it so I turned it off for a few months. One by one they actually called and said "Why haven't you responded?" I then informed them I'm not 13 years old and don't want to have an hour conversation over that medium. Pick up the g damn phone! "I prefer text" is what one said and I replied "Well it was nice knowing you then." That person got the point. I actually told 4-5 people the same thing. I save money by having a small text plan, only a few hundred a month of them. Allows me to have unlimited data. I pay $68 a month with tax due to not having unlimited text and calling, don't need it. Some people do group texts where they send a txt message out to like 20 people. Each person that responds it goes to all 20 people. I've straight up called the carrier and completely blocked their number entirely because I got so sick of it. With the new phones, you can block anyone you want right from your phone. :grin:
As I said prior, I really like the smartphone for much different reasons than most. Blocking people is numero uno. If you aren't in my contact list, programmed into my phone, your dumb ass is going straight to voicemail. It won't even ring. Works great for telemarketers. Keep on knocking but you can't come in! - Little Richard. :grin:
Tommy. I agree with you 500% regarding texting. I hate it! If someone wants to get in touch with me, CALL ME! Even when I was still working, I'd never return a text message and my office knew it. I was the only one they'd actually place a call to, lol.

I like that option you mentioned about blocking undesirable people and shoving all other calls not in the contact list into voice mail without the phone ringing! Makes me re-think getting the smartphone.

Thanks Tommy! :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.