Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! New to ROC and to RLs, just got a 2013 Sport RL under a month ago and love it so far.

I'm looking to put a recovery winch on my RL and wanted to see if any owners out there have one and have used it to pull out their stuck RLs. I was try to decide whether to get a 9500 lb rated winch or pony up the extra cash to get a 12,500 lb one. Is 9500 lb enough in your collective practical experience, since it is roughly 1.5xGrossVehicleWeight?

Also, I won't be getting a WARN since it is too expensive for me, but was looking at a SUPERWINCH or SMITTYBILT. Anyone have a preference? All research leans toward the Superwinch over Smittybilt, but not by much.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
75 Posts
A winch on a Ridgeline?? Really???

I would have trouble putting a winch on mine. Also, with a winch, you most often need to be pulled out from the back. I own a heavy duty portable cable winch (Mazdam) which can pull my tractor or UTV or vehicle our of the swamp if need be. It's got a cast iron frame and is used by some of the off-roaders.

I bought it as "insurance" after getting my tractor stuck in the swamp. So far it's been untested in needs like this. If we go off-roading......I take it along.

The trunk on the Ridgeline would be a perfect spot for that portable winch.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Relative lack of entry/exit angles and ground clearance means you probably won't get into too much trouble before getting stuck. I'd go with the smaller choice for winches.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have a superwinch tigershark 9500 on my 91 suburban. It's pulled it out many times. For a ridgeline I would suggest a 8000 pound winch and get a front mounted trailer hitch. Then mount the winch on a receiver winch mount. Then you can use it from the front or the rear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, all, for your advice. I like the idea of the front hitch mount with the winch on a receiver winch mount. That way, I can move it and I only will put it on when I need it. I think I have found one made by Curt that fits my RL.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-140004.html

I was afraid a Warn M8000 or Superwinch TS 9500 was not enough for the RL and was looking at bigger winches, but it seems that is the size to look for. The prices are also feasible for me.

I hope that I won't need it, but I've been stuck on this property twice in two 2WD trucks (Ford F-150 and Chevy Silverado, both belonging to friends) that required a tow truck to winch us out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Aren't you guy are over killing it a bit. Unless you are really going off road and getting stuck daily, a smaller winch with a snatch block pulley will be great. Dont forget that max pulling with a winch is where the first roll a cable are.

For the last 20 years I've manage with a portable superwinch 3500# and a pulley with a F-150. Can be minted in front ou rear on a square 2 inch tube and a towing ball.

Ridgeline are not bolt for Major off road :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thank you, all, for your advice. I like the idea of the front hitch mount with the winch on a receiver winch mount. That way, I can move it and I only will put it on when I need it. I think I have found one made by Curt that fits my RL.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-140004.html

I was afraid a Warn M8000 or Superwinch TS 9500 was not enough for the RL and was looking at bigger winches, but it seems that is the size to look for. The prices are also feasible for me.

I hope that I won't need it, but I've been stuck on this property twice in two 2WD trucks (Ford F-150 and Chevy Silverado, both belonging to friends) that required a tow truck to winch us out.
It depends why you got stuck. If it was mainly a traction issue, remember that an open diff 2wd is about the worse thing for traction. They can't hold a candle to your AWD RL in terms of traction. OTOH, if you became stuck because you sank into 3 feet of mud, a hitch mounted winch won't help if the receiver is buried in the mud. :surprise:

For the occasional issue in light off roading, you can get out of most problems with a farm jack (or come-along) and tow straps.

Roger

1 - 7 of 7 Posts