Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I should have my Ridgeline paid off in 2 months. I was at the dealer to get a tire rotation done and I was checking out the new Fit. And its a super nice car and basically meets all my needs, the only wants that it doesn't have that I want is 4WD and auto climate control.
I did some figuring on a spreadsheet to figure out costs calculating in gas, insurance, payments, etc. The main factor that saves me with the Fit is gas mileage, it would save me $65 a month @ $2 gallon and $100 a month at $4 gallon, with my current driving situation, since I'm driving double the distance now that my old job when I got the Ridgeline. The Fit would save me on insurance as well.
I can get the Fit for basically $5000 after trade in for the decked out EX-L model with leather and all that nice stuff.

So I could get a 5 year newer vehicle, better on gas, and way newer "niceties" on the inside. I never tow anything and I barely haul anything, just every once in awhile, but with how big the Fit is on the inside I could basically just haul it in the Fit with the seats down. The only thing I think I would miss most is the auto climate and 4WD (and I really don't know how much I was actually using it, I'm a very safe driver and take my time, don't just rely on the "I have 4WD I'm unstoppable" attitude)

I had the spreadsheet figure up the cost over 3 years, that factored in gas, insurance, and maintenance cost and upkeep for both vehicles. These would be my savings with the Fit (gas was the major thing):
@$2 gallon - $2341
@$4 gallon - $4655
@$5 gallon - $5812

A truck is more of a want for me than a need. I'm a single young guy (Gonna be 24 here in the next week) that is basically just me most of the time, only haul friends around every once in awhile. i 'love having a truck but I'm trying to take a good look at what I actually really NEED and would be better for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions/advice for me?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
My daddy told me never to buy a car based on "savings". You cannot factor in every possible cost. And I have never been able to justify a brand new car when compared to a "paid off" car no matter how good the gas mileage is...unless the paid off car is a Jaguar or a Porsche.

That being said, it sounds like the RL is way more vehicle than you really need...and you virtually never need any of the functions for which it is designed. So I'm with Major Tom...get the Fit and enjoy it. You have plenty of years to figure out whether you really need a truck. If you change your mind...go get another RL.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Yeah you'll have to get this one from your head/heart. You could get the Fit and (hopefully not of course) be slammed into by an F250. That would cost you 10 times what you're saving in fuel. Or you could keep the Ridge and have the strawberry milkshake happen next year.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'd say if you have low mileage on your RL, keep it. If you are high mileage, go ahead and go for the fit (or some other economy car). I need something with the attributes of the RL. It doesn't really look like you do.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have 67,000 miles on my Ridgeline right now. So it's not really high mileage.
That was one thing I was considering was safety as well. But I would think the Fit would hold up pretty well since it was built for the new crash standards.
I love having the bigger vehicle but I don't really need it. And I can definitely afford to keep it. But I'm just looking forward in the future as well. Gas isn't going to stay at $2 a gallon. And the longer I keep the Ridgeline the more the value goes down. And as soon as the new one comes out it will go down even more.
Just on the fence right now if what to do.....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Well..i like the paid for drive it til it dies scenario. No way will gas pay for no car payment and if longer drive will waste a new car. Isnt the fit the one made in mexico with all the issues?.??
Personnally I would just buy a crv if set on a new car. Has 5 star crash ratings..not sure what fit has but certainly would sit lower than a fit imo

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
With the Ridgeline paid off and its ability to save your life in a major crash, I see no match with the value of safety. Not sure what the crash ratings are on the fit, but I would be willing to bet that it would never measure up to a Ridge. After all, you were able to pay the truck and gas all this time and now you only have to worry about the gas and regular maintenance.

I vote keep the Ridge.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
According to IIHS the Fit would probably actually do very well in a crash, even compared to the Ridgeline. The Fit did the same in the small overlap test that the Ridgeline did in the moderate overlap, which means the Ridgeline could possibly do worse than than the Fit, in that type of crash. All the other categories the Fit matches the Ridgeline. But I do understand that it is a smaller car so just mere mass of having a larger vehicle could make you safer.

Payments for the new car would be around $150 a month for 3 years (I'd probably pay it off faster than that, paying the Ridgeline off in 2) so actually it would probably equal just the gas that I pay for just the Ridgeline with the payment and gas together. So payment isn't really a factor.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I'd say if you're headed in that direction, just be sure to take a serious look at the CRV... especially if you'd still like to have 4wd. It will get you some of the economies you are looking for, while still giving you some "reserve" capability, which you may find very handy if decide to take a trip, or want to go on a night out or weekend with friends. Take a look and imagine if it would be something you'd use.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. I'm going to stick it out with the Ridgeline. At least for this year. Then I can see how things are going and what my situation is. Then I can either get a different vehicle or keep the Ridgeline. That will give me a few months that I can save as well with no monthly payment.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Live life with out a car payment for a few months and get back to me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm going to stick it out with the Ridgeline. At least for this year. Then I can see how things are going and what my situation is. Then I can either get a different vehicle or keep the Ridgeline. That will give me a few months that I can save as well with no monthly payment.
I like your thinking, in the long run you will too.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Good choice! You never know how life can change in a year or 2 but you know in Ohio we get SNOW so a 4wd is a much better choice (especially if we get SNOW like last year). Also, life without a car payment is so nice and you can always trade it in and the value will still be high. Just looking online here in NE Ohio 2006 RIdgelines with well over 100,000 miles are selling for +$15,000.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
My wife has a last-gen Fit (2013) which I like, but...

- Spend at least an hour in the driver's seat. The hinged active headrest hits me wrong in the middle of my back which I didn't realize until I drove the car on a longer trip.

- Cargo space in the new Fit with the rear seat up is pretty small. The rear seat was moved back to improve rear legroom at the expense of cargo space. That said, with the magic seat folded, the car holds a lot, nearly as much as the last gen Fit.

- The new Fit is from a new plant in Mexico with plenty of quality problems. I'd wait for Honda to iron out the problems.

- Check out the HR-V that is coming out this spring. It's a small crossover built on the Fit platform with available Realtime AWD, a larger engine than the Fit, and choice of CVT or manual tranny.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts