Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ladyridge said:
WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED!!??
Have you tried a dealership?? Some love to get these gems.
Yeah, I tried that route once already, they offered me 6500. HA :mad: which is slightly less than what I owe on it. The worst part was when they took it out on the test drive, I could hear them beating on it, and having a grand ole time, both came back with smiles on their faces, but then offered me that. Crazy.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, you asked where I was located as well, the car is located in SE Pennsylvania. I've been talking to Richard Sears down in Maryland about a Ridge, maybe he'll be able to do something for me. I've seen what these things go for, especially one in this shape.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Did you advertise it on cars.com? That's how I sold my Accord wagon -- it took a few weeks, but then the right buyer came along and gave me my asking price (another person wanted to short me about $500). Then after I found a buyer, I got 5 more inquiries about the car!!

Make sure you post the link to your site in your ad on cars.com -- I think that really helped to get people excited about my wagon.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
flymuck said:
Did you advertise it on cars.com? That's how I sold my Accord wagon -- it took a few weeks, but then the right buyer came along and gave me my asking price (another person wanted to short me about $500). Then after I found a buyer, I got 5 more inquiries about the car!!

Make sure you post the link to your site in your ad on cars.com -- I think that really helped to get people excited about my wagon.

I didn't put it cars.com, but did on autotrader.com. She's only been up there since Saturday. You'd figure that with the way gas prices are, people would want a really sharp looking car that gets 26mpg. I'll hafta look into cars.com too. thanks!

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
Damn, that is a nice car! I sold my '98 Civic HX, 100K miles, 6 months ago for $6500 to a private party. I would think you should be able to get plenty more than that! Good luck!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RidgeOwner3 said:
Damn, that is a nice car! I sold my '98 Civic HX, 100K miles, 6 months ago for $6500 to a private party. I would think you should be able to get plenty more than that! Good luck!

Thanks, and I'd really like to hold on to it, but I need the utility that the Ridge offers, and since joining here, it has made waiting very difficult. Everyone is talking about an amazing truck that I do not yet have :(

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just sold my wife's 2001 Hyundai Elantra on Ebay, got almost 2k more than the dealer was going to give us and it sold 'buy it now' in less than 2 days! I would hit ebay with it and see what happens, make sure and use a reserve though.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jays0n said:
I just sold my wife's 2001 Hyundai Elantra on Ebay, got almost 2k more than the dealer was going to give us and it sold 'buy it now' in less than 2 days! I would hit ebay with it and see what happens, make sure and use a reserve though.
Yeah, I tried that route, and it came up a little short of what I could afford to let her go for. I'm talking with a few individuals that may be interested, I just hope this comes through before the end of this month so I can still take advantage of the manufacture to dealer incentive.

Anyone who's reading this, if you want to make an offer, feel free :D

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Luder, don't let a dealership talk you into something....ESPECIALLY if you really want a Ridge. Those SOB's will sell their mother if they think they can make a buck.

I'll try to give you the Reader's Digest version of what happened to me a few years back. My wife and I had a really nice Dodge Stratus. It had the bigger engine, power everything, and we really liked it. We ended up starting a family about 2 years after we bought it, and decided we needed to get something bigger. We wanted an SUV but could only afford to buy a minivan at the time. So, we thought we would go back to the same dealer who sold us the Stratus, trade in the Stratus, and buy a van.

I went down to talk to the same salesman who sold us the Stratus, but he was busy, so I decided to wait around. I went and looked at a few Stratus they had in their used car lot. They had several of them, but all of them were at least a year older, had more miles on them, had the smaller engine, and did not have the power package we had on our car. The cheapest one they had on their lot was $15,200. So, I was thinking, we'd get a good trade-in on our car, at least $13K...which was what I was looking for, since we owed about $12,400 on it. It was still under warranty and.....the KBB trade-in was $12,600 at the time.

Anyway, I went and negotiated a price on a van and then said to the guy, "OK....I'm thinking of just selling our Stratus outright....but just for the heck of it....why don't you give us a trade in value on it....if we trade it in, it would save the hassle of selling it outright". So, he took the keys gave them to his "used car manager", he looked it over, took it for a test drive and came back.

About 10 minutes later, the salesman came back and said, "Well, the best we can do is $7500". I said, "What? There must be something wrong with my ears, because I could swear you just said $7500"! He said, "Yeah, that's the best we can do.....we'd probably just be sending it off to a dealer auction and that is the going rate for that car right now". I said, "Bullsh!t! All you'd have to do is wash it and put it back on your lot.....and, going by what you have on your lot (I explained to him what he had on his lot as far as Stratuses went) you'd be putting that out there for at least $16,000 and probably be able to get $14000 for it.....so if I was friggin' stupid enough to take that deal.... you'd make a $1000 on the sale of the van and then another $7000 on my trade in....."! He interupted me and start spewing some crap about no way they'd be able to get that kinda money on my trade in, yada, yada, yada.

Long story short, I grabbed my keys, called him everything in the book, and told him he could stick the van (I was going to buy) where the sun don't shine, and stomped outta there...really hacked off, and I never went back there again. I ended up selling my car for $13,200 and got a van for $400 less than what that jerkwad was going to sell his van to me for.

Moral of the story..... you gotta be patient. Put your car on as many websites or in as many newspapers that you can....do whatever it takes to get what you want for your car. Don't let the thought of getting a new vehicle, that you really want, get in the way of common sense. ESPECIALLY it comes to dealing with dealers.

My .02.....

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, thats what I'm doing, just being patient. I know what the car's worth, and it's in great shape that someone will be willing to pay the 13K. I've got a couple of potential buyers, but nobody has "shown me the money". If at least, I'll hold onto it until spring, when I've had the chance to make a couple more payments, and try again. I also realize, the longer I hold onto the lude, the more miles it'll have, hence, the less it'll be worth. I'd also like to be able to take advantage of the 1000 incentive, but I'm sure there will be another. At least until it warms up again, and I can take the bike to work :D One potential buyer is supposedly waiting to hear from his bank to get approval. He should be calling me after work today, wish me luck :rolleyes:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, and not to go too far off topic, but I test drove a Ridge last Friday night. Very nice, I was definately impressed, going from a sports car to a truck. It actually handled very similar to my old 92 Honda Accord, which is still amazing considering that it is a truck!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Luder62678R1 said:
Yeah, thats what I'm doing, just being patient. I know what the car's worth, and it's in great shape that someone will be willing to pay the 13K. I've got a couple of potential buyers, but nobody has "shown me the money". If at least, I'll hold onto it until spring, when I've had the chance to make a couple more payments, and try again. One potential buyer is supposedly waiting to hear from his bank to get approval. He should be calling me after work today, wish me luck :rolleyes:
Luder you're in better shape and have lots more disapline than I.
I got my new RL and still have my 99 Passport to get rid of. I'm in the same boat upside down in trade-in vs payoff. So I've just started posting it on cars.com, buyowner, and the next step will be autotrader I think? E-bay will be my last, last resort as the % they want....
My wife is a little upset that I did this at this time of year (Christmas).
She was so concerned that she only spent part of her budget on Friday.
Gee maybe this could work to my advantage.. NOT.....:eek:
For a little boost look in the paper and you'll see very few Hondas 4sale...
Just a little patience and they will sell....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts