Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking to buy and the vehicle and the one we want has 600 miles on it. It is the color and model we want. The sales manager has been driving it some. Is it considered a "demo"? How would you negotiate this? It looks like they are offering about 3000 below dealer cost however we are getting 2000 in incentives. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks again

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah, I would say that is a demo. When I was looking at RL's just over a year ago, one of the models that I was interested in was a demo, but it had 3k miles.

For me personally, I wasn't overly concerned with it being a demo, they just wouldn't give me more off of it than I could get at another dealer for the same thing, so it didn't make sense to me. If they would have knocked another 1k off, I probably would have bought that "new" demo instead of the deal I found on the used one I got.

If you haven't already, I would just double check it like you would a used car just to make sure nothing obviously happened during that 600 miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I will definitely check it out before I buy. I just curious if I should get them to go even lower on the price.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If they are offering it at the same price as another new model with test drive mileage only, I would definitely not go for it unless they knocked more off.

·
Super Moderator
5,361 Posts
You did not mention whether it was a 2019 or 2020, or what trim it was. Those things would make a huge difference as to whether or not this is a good deal.

Dealers are lowering the prices of brand new 2019's significantly to move them off the lot. Your deal may be great, but we need a little more information to evaluate your offer.

·
Administrator
14,930 Posts
We are looking to buy and the vehicle and the one we want has 600 miles on it. Is it considered a "demo"?
There are two legal classifications for vehicles - "new" and "used". New means a vehicle that has never been titled or purchased by a consumer regardless of the odometer reading. Once a title has been issued, the vehicle is considered used.

There is no such thing as a new vehicle with 0 miles on the odometer - they're all used to some degree whether that's a few miles from the assembly line to the rail car to the transport truck and during the pre-delivery inspection or several hundred miles worth of loans, test drives, or transfer between dealers. A new pair of jeans may have been tried on by several shoppers.

Whether the vehicle is new or used, you'll have the remainder of the 3/36 new vehicle and 5/60 powertrain limited warranties.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are two legal classifications for vehicles - "new" and "used". New means a vehicle that has never been titled or purchased by a consumer regardless of the odometer reading. Once a title has been issued, the vehicle is considered used.

There is no such thing as a new vehicle with 0 miles on the odometer - they're all used to some degree whether that's a few miles from the assembly line to the rail car to the transport truck and during the pre-delivery inspection or several hundred miles worth of loans, test drives, or transfer between dealers. A new pair of jeans may have been tried on by several shoppers.

Whether the vehicle is new or used, you'll have the remainder of the 3/36 new vehicle and 5/60 powertrain limited warranties.
Thanks for the info. My question is will it be harder for them to sell with more miles on it and should I try to get them to lower their price for that reason alone. If their BE has 600 miles and another dealer has BE with 15 miles for the same price I would think most would go to the 15 mile BE... I just want to know if I should push the dealer harder to lower the price. Have a great day

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes you should push harder on the price. Setting aside the legal definition of new vs used, why would one pay the same for a vehicle with 600 miles than 15 miles?

·
Administrator
14,930 Posts
Thanks for the info. My question is will it be harder for them to sell with more miles on it and should I try to get them to lower their price for that reason alone. If their BE has 600 miles and another dealer has BE with 15 miles for the same price I would think most would go to the 15 mile BE... I just want to know if I should push the dealer harder to lower the price. Have a great day
Yes you should push harder on the price. Setting aside the legal definition of new vs used, why would one pay the same for a vehicle with 600 miles than 15 miles?
The average driver will put 600 miles on a vehicle in 2-3 weeks. When you buy it, it will be used as even if you bought it as new so what difference does it make? When you trade it in or sell it, that 600 miles will make absolutely no difference whatsoever in value.

Tell them to throw in a free oil change and call it a day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is what I am saying as well. If I can save some money I would be glad to buy the 600 mile one.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Mine had a few hundred miles on it when I bought it. They showed that on my title work and Bill of sale and started my warranty at that number of miles so my warranty is good until 36,253 (example) miles but will be 3 years for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine had a few hundred miles on it when I bought it. They showed that on my title work and Bill of sale and started my warranty at that number of miles so my warranty is good until 36,253 (example) miles but will be 3 years for me.
Did you push for a lower price based on the milage?

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
Here is a little context. The federal govt will pay employees $0.575 per mile if those employees are required to use their own vehicle for work purposes. That price takes into account fuel price as well as general wear/tear on the vehicle, etc., and still seems reasonably generous.

If you multiply 600 miles by $0.0575, you get $345. So, if you're looking for a place to start negotiations, you can try $300-$350 below a similar truck with just a few miles. I don't think you'll get much more than that unless the dealer is looking to deal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is a little context. The federal govt will pay employees $0.575 per mile if those employees are required to use their own vehicle for work purposes. That price takes into account fuel price as well as general wear/tear on the vehicle, etc., and still seems reasonably generous.

If you multiply 600 miles by $0.0575, you get $345. So, if you're looking for a place to start negotiations, you can try $300-$350 below a similar truck with just a few miles. I don't think you'll get much more than that unless the dealer is looking to deal.
Thanks for that info... Just wanted some ideas like that. Have a great day

·
Administrator
14,930 Posts
I've seen dealers say this before, but according to Honda the distance portion of the new vehicle limited warranty ends at 36,000 miles regardless of the odometer reading at the time of purchase. The time portion ends 3 years after the vehicle is first purchased or used as a demonstrator or company vehicle. Of course, the chances of needing a warranty repair in the narrow window of 253 miles between 36,000 and 36,253 are slim to none.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've seen dealers say this before, but according to Honda the distance portion of the new vehicle limited warranty ends at 36,000 miles regardless of the odometer reading at the time of purchase. The time portion ends 3 years after the vehicle is first purchased or used as a demonstrator or company vehicle. Of course, the chances of needing a warranty repair in the narrow window of 253 miles between 36,000 and 36,253 are slim to none.
That is true.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts