Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
The average driver will put 600 miles on a vehicle in 2-3 weeks. When you buy it, it will be used as even if you bought it as new so what difference does it make? When you trade it in or sell it, that 600 miles will make absolutely no difference whatsoever in value.
Tell them to throw in a free oil change and call it a day.
I disagree with this. If I'm spending $30K-$40K+ for a new car, I want it to be NEW.
That means I do not want it driven around and treated like a rental car for the first month.

Trade-in value has no bearing on the situation for me.
If I'm paying for a new vehicle, I don't want it to be a "nearly new" used vehicle, which is what this is.
Since it was a "demo", a dozen or more different people have taken it on test drives, along with dealership employees treating them as rental cars.

Unless you are getting a substantial discount off the price of a true new model, then why even consider one with 600 miles? I've bought 4 new vehicles in my life, and all of them had 5 miles or less.

·
Administrator
14,930 Posts
I disagree with this. If I'm spending $30K-$40K+ for a new car, I want it to be NEW.
That means I do not want it driven around and treated like a rental car for the first month.

Trade-in value has no bearing on the situation for me.
If I'm paying for a new vehicle, I don't want it to be a "nearly new" used vehicle, which is what this is.
Since it was a "demo", a dozen or more different people have taken it on test drives, along with dealership employees treating them as rental cars.

Unless you are getting a substantial discount off the price of a true new model, then why even consider one with 600 miles? I've bought 4 new vehicles in my life, and all of them had 5 miles or less.
I understand. I don't like buying vehicles with pre-farted seats myself, but that's just me being a spoiled snob. I'm also much more likely to flog a vehicle than any employee or test driver.

Only the buyer can decide how much that new car experience is worth (or not worth). 6 miles, 600 miles, or 6,000 miles - that vehicle will eventually sell to someone if not @awfpack1. That 600 miles may not bother them at all. In fact, they may be glad to have a vehicle they can "just drive" without regard to a 600-mile break-in period. :)

I can see 600 miles being worth a few hundred dollars, but a few thousand? No way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I understand. I don't like buying vehicles with pre-farted seats myself, but that's just me being a spoiled snob. I'm also much more likely to flog a vehicle than any employee or test driver.

Only the buyer can decide how much that new car experience is worth (or not worth). 6 miles, 600 miles, or 6,000 miles - that vehicle will eventually sell to someone if not @awfpack1. That 600 miles may not bother them at all. In fact, they may be glad to have a vehicle they can "just drive" without regard to a 600-mile break-in period. :)

I can see 600 miles being worth a few hundred dollars, but a few thousand? No way.
Thanks for the info

·
Super Moderator
5,361 Posts
I leased a new 2013 Hyundai Sonata with 600 miles on it. It was still classified as new by the dealer. Someone at the dealership drove it around for a few days. After the purchase, I brought it home and found something interesting in the glove box - a funeral program/pamphlet from a few days earlier. The vehicle was black. That was always a family joke from then on. Never had any troubles with those 600 miles being on the vehicle.

·
Registered
2017 White RTL-E
148 Posts
At 600 miles that is now a used vehicle...at least in terms of how you should be pricing and negotiating it.

As long as you get a good competitive deal, I vote go for it. Even a "used" vehicle is brand new to that owner and it becomes used per anyone you subsequently try to sell it to immediately anyways. So as long as it saves you money, matches what you want, and is in great condition, go for it, it is still under full warranty. If they are offering the same deal as a BE w/ fewer miles on it, then I would walk away unless they throw in other extras to make it worth it. If they won't budge on price, try to get add ons you find useful or oil changes, etc.

Maybe just walk away and see if they reach out again in a few days after it still isn't selling. No need to rush, especially if it isn't marked much below a much lower mileage BE.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Your saying they are selling it for $1000 under invoice plus another $2000 in incentives? If that is the case, buy that truck! The best I can get a dealer to go here is $200 under invoice plus $1000 Honda loyalty cash.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts