Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Neutral Drop Bad?

Ok let me say first off I know this is bad, very, very bad and I'M NOT THE ONE WHO DID IT. So please don't give me those stupid sarcastic comments like "as long as it was over 3500 rpm it should be fine" just don't. My friend did it at around 5000 rpm. So what kind of damage do you think this could've done to the vtm4 system, transmission, torque converter, etc. just mind that there were no lights that came on the dash but I just wanna be sure, thanks.

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,636 Posts
Hey, it's only money. No worries. :rolleyes:

· Super Moderator
24,636 Posts
I read it. Bet you won't do that again.

Good luck.

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,894 Posts
Lose the Friend, You'll be better off as will your RL.

As for Damage it's been done. If it all works today, it probably survived it, when you develop issues in 6 months or a year, you'll know what you broke. ;)

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read it. Bet you won't do that again.

Good luck.
im going to assume your being sarcastic or something but i wasnt the one who shifted it into drive, my friend thought itd be a great idea while we were all having a lil fun reving. i dont think reving is necessarily good for the car, but i was just having some fun with friends. id never purposely do a neutral drop at any rpm, i know its terrible for the transmission and drivetrain, im just trying to make sure that it hasnt damaged it too severely.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

As for Damage it's been done. If it all works today, it probably survived it, when you develop issues in 6 months or a year, you'll know what you broke. ;)
im kinda worried now, you really think it will be that soon when the damage starts to actually give me problems? i know it's a terrible thing to do but honestly didnt think it matter too much doing it one time

· Super Moderator
7,894 Posts
Take a DEEP BREATH.

I haven't got a clue what or if you broke anything and I seriously doubt anyone would. 1st none of us are willing to try it, 2nd we have no clue what Year, or Model Ridgeline you have since you profile has nothing, 3rd, what I ment by that is if you make it 6 months to a year and nothing broke then "NOTHING BROKE". Truly only time will tell.

and I'm serious LOSE THE FRIEND, life it too short to be dealing with @$$#0|3$ .....

· Super Moderator
24,636 Posts
im going to assume your being sarcastic or something but i wasnt the one who shifted it into drive, my friend thought itd be a great idea while we were all having a lil fun reving. i dont think reving is necessarily good for the car, but i was just having some fun with friends. id never purposely do a neutral drop at any rpm, i know its terrible for the transmission and drivetrain, im just trying to make sure that it hasnt damaged it too severely.
Stuff happens. There's no way in the world anyone here can know what damage has been done to your tranny/drivetrain. Only time will tell.

I hope no significant damage has been done, but that's a pretty severe shock to any engine/drivetrain/engine mounts, etc.

You already know it's a bad thing. Like mak said, if it still works, well good. But don't be surprised if you have a very limited service life out of your drivetrain components.

Your so-called friend is a jerk. Think he'll foot the bill for a new tranny/rear diff, etc.... probably $10,000-ish? I sincerely doubt it.

I wish you the best.

· Registered
151 Posts
**I'm not a mechanic at all. Not even remotely close. You should check with a professional (not me).**

The first thing I thought of was to check the fluid. I Googled " metal shavings on transmission dipstick" because it sounds bad.

This is from some random website that may or may not be trustworthy...

"Pull the dipstick on your transmission. Hold it up to the light. If you see any debris in the fluid, we have a major problem. The fluid might glitter like glass. It shouldn't and what you are seeing is most likely metal shavings."

I'm not advising you to do anything. This is just something that can be found on the Internet.

· Registered
3,009 Posts
Your friends are great. They will give you years of entertainment.

Hmmmmm. You have me wondering about your neutral drop. Vehicles now have so many nannies to protect against stupid stuff that I'm not sure you can do a 5K neutral drop. I'm pretty hard on vehicles & done plenty of neutral drops on weak cars to get wheel spin. But a few years ago I tried it with a cavalier & when you shifted into gear the RPM's would die & it was an uneventful experience.

When I leave work I might see how my RL does with a neutral drop.

· Super Moderator
7,894 Posts
Your friends are great. They will give you years of entertainment.

Hmmmmm. You have me wondering about your neutral drop. Vehicles now have so many nannies to protect against stupid stuff that I'm not sure you can do a 5K neutral drop. I'm pretty hard on vehicles & done plenty of neutral drops on weak cars to get wheel spin. But a few years ago I tried it with a cavalier & when you shifted into gear the RPM's would die & it was an uneventful experience.

When I leave work I might see how my RL does with a neutral drop.
Would you mind recording this event in either an audio recorder or better yet a video recorder (smartphone for either)...>:)

· Registered
108 Posts

Gotta agree here. Find yourself another group of friends. What would you do if it tore up the transmission? It appears your so-called friend couldn't care less whether he tore it up or not. Sorry, but if it were me, I either kick his ass or drop him as a friend (most likely both). Life is too short to be associated with people that have no conscience or respect.

As for the potential for transmission/driveline failure - I would say you dodged a bullet as you mentioned it doesn't seem any worse after the fact. Count your blessings it didn't cause any immediate damage. Take care of your vehicle and it will reward you with the same...

· Registered
1,849 Posts
WEBMD.COM

Insert your symptoms and see what it comes up with. My guess is just butthurtedness syndrome.

As far as your ridgeline is concerned....Highly doubt anything happened..I am actually surprised it didnt just fall on its face instead of burning rubber.

· Registered
3,009 Posts
WEBMD.COM

Insert your symptoms and see what it comes up with. My guess is just butthurtedness syndrome.

As far as your ridgeline is concerned....Highly doubt anything happened..I am actually surprised it didnt just fall on its face instead of burning rubber.
I thought it would fall on its face too...but it actually will spin the tires. Just tried it.

· Super Moderator
24,636 Posts
I thought it would fall on its face too...but it actually will spin the tires. Just tried it.
Why do I think you're looking for a reason to buy a new truck? >:)

For the OP, I don't know why you thought I was being sarcastic. If you're smart enough to drive a RL at your age (and pay for it too), I'll bet you won't put yourself in a similar situation again. Which is what I thought I said the first time.

The strange thing about people (and CW says especially with most teenagers), if several of them get together, the collective IQ seems to drop considerably!

IQ Drops When You?re In a Group | Psych Central News

· Registered
3,009 Posts
Why do I think you're looking for a reason to buy a new truck? >:)
My truck gives me plenty of reasons to buy a new. Just the other day the blower stopped working on a 95 plus day on my way home. Then it started raining & all my windows fogged up. Talk about a pain in the ass. I almost drive straight to the dealership. The only problem is I'm not sure what I want. Turned out to be the resistor, no big deal. If the AC would've taken a dump I would be driving something different now.

· Registered
90 Posts
In all seriousness, you really should stay as far away from that jerk "friend" as possible. He's 16 with a brand new hot BMW that was given to him and he thinks it's funny to try to destroy your truck. You will find zero benefit from associating with him. He's a waste of space.

I know exactly how useful unsolicited advice from "old farts" seems, so do what you will with it. And good luck with the Ridgeline. I hope it all turns out okay.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.