Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to the ROC forum from its newest member. Just bought my very first Honda and my very first truck in one purchase. 500 miles in 4 weeks. First impressions are good build quality - but a few things yet to address:

There is an object - a bolt or nut- rolling around inside the air duct under the passenger seat or some inaccessible place in the console. I've taken everything apart I can without tools - its inside a compartment or chamber. Taking a corner without the radio and its like having an itch you cannot scratch... the object is not in the door storage areas, nor the center console, and appeared there on day 1. Any thoughts on alternative locations to look from the audience would be helpful. Sounds like a bolt- rolls about 4-6 inches by ear and stops. Is not perfectly round as I an hear staccato little sounds in the rolling. Might end up back at the dealer but dread that experience.

Fuel economy is disapointing. I'm pretty light footed and its 22 Highway and no better than 16-17 in town. The Honda grade logic is really illogical some times. I can feel the tranny stay in gear to help deceleration but cannot figure out what triggers the behavior. I've taken to shifting into neutral to glide down slight inclines. Tire pressure is up to 37 PSI. Might take that to 40 in a few more days.

Sure wish I had the A2CP protocol for bluetooth but I knew that before the purchase.

Just purchased a Torza Premier Tonneau top- arrived yesterday - will post photos when I'm installing. The included bolts were not up to my standards so purchased some stainless M8 and M6 bolts thru Fastenal and will begin next week.

·
Administrator
16,058 Posts
Congratulations on your first Honda, your first truck, and your first Ridgeline. Welcome to the ROC!

The general consensus is that built quality has declined since the first Ridgelines in 2005 - more so in the last few years. My '14 has embarrassing assembly quality compared to my '10 and '07, but I bought it knowing I wouldn't have it more than about a year and a half until the next-generation Ridgeline appears (or if it doesn't then I'll buy something else).

Fuel economy is clearly advertised on the window sticker and you're exceeding those numbers, so it's hard to justify your disappointment. Like all modern transmissions, your Ridgeline's will adapt to your driving style over dozens or hundreds of miles (or, more likely, you'll adapt to it). Honda transmissions have a unique design compared to most other conventional automatics which results in a different feel.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Fuel economy is disapointing. I'm pretty light footed and its 22 Highway and no better than 16-17 in town.
Be very pleased with your MPG my friend. If you will note the Honda estimate is 15-20 I believe.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Congrats on your new RL and welcome to the ROC!

Your mileage is about right for this time of year. I get 18.5/18.7 average in the summer, but only getting an average of 18.2 now. Betcha your milage gets a little better when the temps warm up and your truck gets broken in.

Sliding a manual trans out of gear is one thing, but the thought of shifting an automatic into neutral while driving makes me cringe. I doubt it does much to help milage, causes wear and tear on shifter and the potential for 'missing' neutral and hitting reverse....yikes!

I'd recommend going over the truck with a fine-tooth comb and bring any/all concerns to the dealership's attention. Hopefully they will make it right.

·
Administrator
16,058 Posts
Coasting in neutral with an automatic transmission can damage it due to lack of lubrication. It is also illegal in some jurisdictions.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
back to the bolt....

I will list some things, most of which you probably checked.

First make sure you have nothing in the truck...not even a cell phone. Clean out the glove box and all the compartments. Leave just the driver and passenger if necessary.

1. Dash compartments including the "not an ashtray"
2. Glove box
3. Get a friend (spouse or other) to ride with you and try to zero in on it while you drive.
4. Compartment under console armrest (where I have about 6 bucks in loose change)
5. The trunk and the bed. Consider removing spare tire and jack etc.
6. Moonroof (open and feel around for loose stuff)
7. Worse turning left or right? Or same?
8. open and close each door and listen for loose parts

Generally, look in places you think can't possibly be it. Sounds transmit in funny ways

I know how it feels to loathe having to take it to the dealer. I have to really convince myself that it is worth it. Yes they owe it to you, but in my case, it always seems like they wanna make me work for it. In this case it probably is worth it if they have to disassemble interior parts to find it. Perhaps you will have other issues and they can put together to make a decent warranty service ticket (decent in their eyes).

Because of my own experience and that of others here, I would call the dealer service department ahead, describe my problem, and bring it to them when they request you to. If you just show up and they are busy you may be there forever or they will keep your truck overnight (really pisses me off) claiming they couldn't find anything when in actual fact they never even looked at it. Warranty work seems to take back seat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Regards shifting in neutral while coasting on an AT.. I can see the points you raise.

I've done this selectively in multiple Toyota's for years while on hills coasting down - first on a 2004 Sienna , a 2005 Matrix and a 2010 Venza. In neutral I first pick up RPM's to the same range as road speed would indicate to minimize any shock. In cars its not a big delta as the tranny freewheels. In the short time with the Ridgeline its shown to be a very big improvement- almost 4-5 MPG advantage in hilly terrain.

I've never seen any erratic behaviors in the Toyota cases. (but I realize absence isn't evidence). Trucks might be different...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Not sure how the ECU controls the fuel injectors while in gear with a closed throttle, but I'd bet a dollar that it shuts them off. This is more efficient than going to neutral. You'll get more drag from the drivetrain that way, but you won't be using any fuel. As others have mentioned, shifting into and out of neutral while driving is not ideal for the transmission anyway.

If you're trying to "hypermile" on hills, try accelerating downhill and coasting uphill. No need to touch the transmission.

·
Administrator
16,058 Posts
Not sure how the ECU controls the fuel injectors while in gear with a closed throttle, but I'd bet a dollar that it shuts them off. This is more efficient than going to neutral. You'll get more drag from the drivetrain that way, but you won't be using any fuel. As others have mentioned, shifting into and out of neutral while driving is not ideal for the transmission anyway.
Correct. All modern vehicles have a DCFO (deceleration fuel cut-off) mode where the ECU stops opening the injectors if there is no throttle input and the engine is above a certain speed. The conditions at which this happens vary from model to model, but the principle is the same.

Detection and enforcement aside, here's a pretty good list someone put together of states where it is illegal to coast in neutral or with the clutch depressed. I spot-checked a few and they were valid.

http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/14159/is-it-illegal-in-any-u-s-jurisdiction-to-be-in-neutral-at-a-red-light

Here's a 2010 Popular Mechanics article regarding the [in]efficiency of coating in neutral.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/alternative-fuel/news/coasting-in-neutral-fuel-economy

·
Registered
219 Posts
Rocket - welcome from AK!

be sure to post your location in your profile (generic or specific, your choice), so the rest of can know 'where you're coming from', so to speak.

ditto all the replies re MPGs. enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Yeah, what they said! :) ......... and welcome aboard for sure.
I think you're just not used to the grade logic shifting.... it's actually helpful going downhill, given you save on brake pad wear.
And with the noise... take it in to the dealer... the sooner the better. The more they see you, the more familiar they will be with you anyway... and believe it or not, that familiarity can work in your favor. If it's for 'free' warranty stuff, it's not too terribly inconvenient, and they'll fix stuff right. No reason to drive around with an annoying noise when you have a group of professional repair guys just waiting to fix things for you for free! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts