Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the similar thread about an RL. But I'd still appreciate some input.

Per the Honda and NHTSA websites, there are no outstanding recalls. The VIN is ...KB021451. So if I understand correctly, per the TSB, it was produced after the change in fuel injectors.

Other than being filthy and needing a fresh battery, it runs fine. I took it on an extended test drive on both the interstate and secondary roads. Tires seem fine.

This dealer has several RTL-Es with 2018 production dates (all of which had dead batteries). The salesman and the sales manager separately told me they have trouble moving Ridgelines. The sales manager said Houston is a tough market for the model. (He also assumed I was shopping against the Tacoma, Ranger and Colorado/Canyon.) I checked with another local dealer and also found several 2018 production RTL-Es.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
917 Posts
My RTL-E was also built 10/2018; the VIN is ~200 higher than the one you mention.

I bought it new on April 22, 2019 with 13 miles on the odo before my test drive.

Only 3600 miles on it now, zero issues, zero regrets, I'm loving it. Haven't been back to the dealer for any tweaks or adjustments whatsoever, only to pick up the hard plates (which I did not let them install).

With a fresh battery I'd not blink an eye at the time it's been on the lot.

No matter the build date I suggest:

Make sure the bag with the trailer brake controller pigtail harness is in the glovebox or console and the gas filler funnel is with the spare (have the dealer loosen the wing nuts holding the spare in place so you can look, they're probably torqued too tight to loosen by hand).

Take plenty of time to carefully inspect all the body gaps, paint, and for dings. Look carefully at the paint both outdoors in full sun and in their garage bay under artificial light from multiple angles (get in the bed and look at the roof, too). Some folks here have expressed sadness at finding 'uneven' paint immediately after purchase (don't be that guy - keep looking for a good RL, they're out there).

Order the free hard-copy full owner/nav manuals from the Honda Owners website as soon as you take delivery (abridged guides are what you get with the truck).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My RTL-E was also built 10/2018; the VIN is ~200 higher than the one you mention.

I bought it new on April 22, 2019 with 13 miles on the odo before my test drive.

Only 3600 miles on it now, zero issues, zero regrets, I'm loving it. Haven't been back to the dealer for any tweaks or adjustments whatsoever, only to pick up the hard plates (which I did not let them install).

With a fresh battery I'd not blink an eye at the time it's been on the lot.

No matter the build date I suggest:

Make sure the bag with the trailer brake controller pigtail harness is in the glovebox or console and the gas filler funnel is with the spare (have the dealer loosen the wing nuts holding the spare in place so you can look, they're probably torqued too tight to loosen by hand).

Take plenty of time to carefully inspect all the body gaps, paint, and for dings. Look carefully at the paint both outdoors in full sun and in their garage bay under artificial light from multiple angles (get in the bed and look at the roof, too). Some folks here have expressed sadness at finding 'uneven' paint immediately after purchase (don't be that guy - keep looking for a good RL, they're out there).

Order the free hard-copy full owner/nav manuals from the Honda Owners website as soon as you take delivery (abridged guides are what you get with the truck).
Centex, I appreciate your advise and tips. I will definitely check it over before taking delivery (assuming we can agree on a price).

·
Registered
24 Posts
I took delivery of an RTL-E last week and it had a 10/18 build date
I also took delivery of an RTL today with a build date of 04/19

·
Registered
638 Posts
I am trying to understand what is being asked here where we purchased our Ridgeline early May, the VIN# is KB020107, sticker shows being manufactured 10/18, what is the significance of this date?

Bill

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am trying to understand what is being asked here where we purchased our Ridgeline early May, the VIN# is KB020107, sticker shows being manufactured 10/18, what is the significance of this date?

Bill
Bill, what is being asked here is...

Should I be concerned about buying a truck manufactured 13 months ago? My concerns center around "improvements" during the 2019 model year.

My real world situation... buy a 2019 manufactured in October 2018 (local, and only one in my color choice) or one manufactured in August/September 2019 (travel to get, multiple trucks in my color choice)? I realize that the travel figures into the equation too. But I've got travel miles/points to spare.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts