Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I tried searching and reading as much as I could and I’m still a little bit confused. I have seen threads that says the Extang Trifecta 2.0 works on the Ridgeline without hindering the trunk opening? I just want to confirm this prior to ordering because I’ve seen other threads making modifications to this cover. I want to buy a tonneau cover, and right now that’s the way I’m leaning but want to make sure I’m not making a mistake. Thank you.

· Registered
99 Posts
IMRL, I transport my empty, then refilled 20 lb. propane tanks in the trunk. I like to open the first section of my OEM hard tonneau in order to open the trunk lid completely. This way the tanks stay verticle.
Believe me, it is no problem at all to release the side lock-downs, then reattach them after closing the lid and cover.

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I am considering the OEM hard cover. But I’m still wondering if somebody can verify rather or not that Extang Trifecta 2.0 interferes with the trunk opening. Hopefully somebody has one can reply, and let me know for certain. Thanks again everybody.

· Registered
522 Posts
I have the Extang Trifecta 2.0 installed, but not using the Extang rails - I followed the instructions seen elsewhere here to install it using the stock Honda brackets. It works very well. It was not difficult to modify the cover to fit the stock brackets, but you need to be comfortable with doing that sort of project. My recollection is that others report that the rails interfere somewhat with the trunk opening.

I suspect that Extang's contract with Honda precludes them making a cover that will fit directly on the Honda brackets.

· Registered
174 Posts
I have the Extang Trifecta 2.0 installed, but not using the Extang rails - I followed the instructions seen elsewhere here to install it using the stock Honda brackets. It works very well. It was not difficult to modify the cover to fit the stock brackets, but you need to be comfortable with doing that sort of project. My recollection is that others report that the rails interfere somewhat with the trunk opening.

I suspect that Extang's contract with Honda precludes them making a cover that will fit directly on the Honda brackets.
Did you end up adding another support or just move the one and then done ?
Im about to install mine the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,378 Posts
I am just putting this out to share our experience with the Trifecta 2.0 Signature cover:
Automotive tail & brake light Car Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle

Extang replaced the cover twice, but unfortunately they all did the same thing.

When we first purchased our Ridgeline we too had the same frame of mind that we absolutely needed a cover to allow the trunk lid to fully open. Then we installed our Extang Xceed cover, which limits the opening of the trunk marginally, and discovered this really is quite adequate, so I would advise not to limit your choices.

Bill

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The more I research, the more I realize tne opening is probably really not that big of a deal. I am wondering about how intrusive the rails and rail clamps may be in the box? Probably overthinking. Starting to think of the hard flip type covers. Never knew how complicated choosing a tonneau cover would be…. Lol

· Registered
2022 Ridgeline RTL-E
21 Posts
Hello IMRIDGELINE, I bought the Extang Trifecta 2,0 ALX (It has a better one-hand latching system than the standard) and here's the skinny. The lid does open fully 100%, however the lid slightly rubs or interferes with the Extang rails, but it does fully open as I stated with a little scratching. I talked to Extang and they told me that the tolerances are so tight between hit/rub and full clearance that they can not 100% guaranty full clearance on every ridgeline and there is no way to push the rails any farther out against the sides of the bed. It all depended on the perfection of the bed liner and its installation at the factory. That said, the slight marring of the lid from the rails, and the marks that the lid made on the rails was not bad, just irritating.

All that to say that in the end I returned the Extang cover for several reasons, the lid clearance being a small part of it. I also did not like the way it looked on the truck (personal preference) plus the vinyl was marred during the shipping process from poor packaging. It also slightly flapped in the wind and water pools on it. I live in N. Illinois and was afraid that snow/ice would be an issue with the pools.

After a huge amount of research here on the ROC I found this string - Lomax Review: A Near-Perfect Trifold Tonneau for the G2 Ridgeline, PART I | Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums , I settled on the Lomax Stance Urethane and not looking back with zero regrets on returning the Extang and nothing but praise for the Lomax - even at twice the cost. Because the Lomax is super low profile, there is only one insignificant, to me, downside. There is a little interference with the lid and the rails , maybe ~15% reduction in opening, but I bet I can still easily get a propane cylinder in the trunk, assuming the first panel being folded back. Heck, most of the time I access the trunk without folding back even the first panel.

Lomax - Better looking, much more secure, far better latching system, when fully folded it tips up on edge so doesn't need to be removed for full bed access, no pooling, no flapping, and much better resale value. Oh, and made in USA (N. Dakota) as well. Just my humble opinion, but we all know what they say about opinions.

For soft covers my research concluded that the Extang Trifecta ALX is as good as it gets. There are cheaper brands but I insisted on made in USA.

Hope you are loving your Ridgeline.
JRP

· Registered
522 Posts
Regarding the Extang and the hinge needing to be disassembled, depending on how you tackle the job, you can avoid it. The U-bracket which attached the crossbar to the side rails runs in a track on the rail, and can't be removed without taking the hinge off. However, if all you want to do is move the crossbar, you don't need to.

I did add an extra crossbar (think I could have got away without it, but I'm a belt and suspenders kinda person) but I didn't use the Extang U-bracket, but rather some little L-brackets that I made out of some aluminum angle I had hanging around. So I didn't need to take the hinge off. However, if you're going to use the Extang U-bracket, you'll need to remove the hinge to slide it into the track.

Hope that makes sense!

One thing to be aware of is that the Ridgeline bed rails are not parallel, so when you move the crossbar, or add another one, it won't fit perfectly - but it's close enough.

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Regarding the Extang and the hinge needing to be disassembled, depending on how you tackle the job, you can avoid it. The U-bracket which attached the crossbar to the side rails runs in a track on the rail, and can't be removed without taking the hinge off. However, if all you want to do is move the crossbar, you don't need to.

I did add an extra crossbar (think I could have got away without it, but I'm a belt and suspenders kinda person) but I didn't use the Extang U-bracket, but rather some little L-brackets that I made out of some aluminum angle I had hanging around. So I didn't need to take the hinge off. However, if you're going to use the Extang U-bracket, you'll need to remove the hinge to slide it into the track.

Hope that makes sense!

One thing to be aware of is that the Ridgeline bed rails are not parallel, so when you move the crossbar, or add another one, it won't fit perfectly - but it's close enough.
Thank you, now it makes perfect sense to me. Really appreciate the reply and explanation.

· Registered
2022 Ridgeline RTL-E
21 Posts
Thank you, now it makes perfect sense to me. Really appreciate the reply and explanation.
You are welcome and happy shopping! As was stated by another owner's post "it's more difficult to decide on which cover to buy than it was to decide on the purchase of the truck itself". LOL

A couple sidebar notes: Extang makes Honda's OEM covers both the Solid and soft covers, however Honda patented their own latching system making it not necessary to have the full-length rails. So, when you buy the Extang version they are relegated to using the full-length rails. That's why some people are doing a hybrid approach and buying Extang cover's but using Honda OEM latching apparatus (Don't know the official terminology) - no rails. To my knowledge, only Extang/Honda OEM allow for a fully opening of the trunk lid.

I also found that every "low-profile" cover must have rails in order to operate, therefore all will impede the lid about the same amount - ~15%. However, it is most people's opinion that this minor issue is just that - minor.

· Registered
2021 Ridgeline BE
10 Posts
I have the OEM tonneau cover, if I flip the first section back I can open the trunk lid fully it does not hit any rails. If I leave the first section closed, I can still open the trunk lid high enough that I can get about anything that I want in or out of it. It works well

· Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
8,861 Posts
I like the low profile of the Lomax cover.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts