Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been running a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers (255/60/18) for years and pretty happy with them.

Looking at the threads I believe I'll be in the market for replacements pretty soon.

SO my needs/wants have changed a bit. I was running the AT Terras because I used to live in Chicago with a lot of snow, ice and muck and the Terras did a nice job will all around traction in those conditions.

I've since moved to Florida now so really don't need the Snow and Ice performance but DANG... tons of lifted trucks and Jeeps down here and they are all running oversized hugh rims with either AT or MT tires. From the looks of these trucks I doubt any of them do any offroading to demand AT or MT so I'm guessing they are running the aggressive tires for the look.

Well put me in that category. I love the aggressive look it gives my Ridge and got a lot of complements over the years.

That said, advice on a nice looking tread pattern with a tire that will give me decent tread life? I'm not concerned with road noise or climbing/off-roading performance at all.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,257 Posts

I have always liked the look of the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2s. The challenge is finding a size that will fit your Ridgeline.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Do yourself a favor and pick something other than the KO2s. They weigh in close to 20lbs more per tire than stock and will dramatically impact ride quality, acceleration, fuel mileage, noise etc..

Since you don't need an AT tire, pick one that makes as few compromises but still gives you the looks you want. See if you like the Continental Terrain Contacts. There are also a number of other new "AT" tires designed more toward the poser crowd.:)

The KO2s are truly boat anchors of tires and a poor choice for looks alone.

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
I am running the Continental TerrainContact A/Ts on my 09 RTL. Although they function wonderfully, are a good compromise between on and off-road performance, and only add 4 lbs more per tire, they do not look very aggressive on my Ridgeline, in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
Since the OP is going for looks not functionality, maybe the older Firestone Destination A/T looks a little more agressive for the A/T2. There are a lot of options if you don't mind going bigger than OEM and chancing a little rubbing here and there: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

Firestone Destination A/T

Firestone Destination A/T2

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Eurban, that chart from TireRack doesn't even list the Nitto Terras, weird. Also I noticed the Terras I have on now are 37 pounds/piece. Anyone know what the stock tire weight is?

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Eurban, that chart from TireRack doesn't even list the Nitto Terras, weird. Also I noticed the Terras I have on now are 37 pounds/piece. Anyone know what the stock tire weight is?
Tire Rack does not carry/sell Nittos for some reason.

Since they are not made anymore, the closest you can get to the originals are the Michelin Defender LTX M/S which are 34 lbs for Ridgelines with 17 inch rims (245/65R17), 30 lbs for those with 18s.

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
If you want an OEM size and weight but in an all-terrain tire, Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3s, in 245/65R17, are only 35 lbs and were rated best overall mild all-terrain tire for both summer and winter performance combined while the Continental TerrainContact A/Ts, at 34 lbs, were rated #1 for summer (higher than the Revo 3s) but ranked poorly in winter testing. I know you don't need winter performance anymore, but the Revo 3 looks more aggressive to me than the TerrainContact A/Ts.

On the other hand, since it rains a lot in Florida you should probably get an all-terrain tire that is good on wet pavement so you improve your chances of avoiding an accident. Of the all-terrain tires I've seen tested, the TerrainContact A/Ts are rated the best mild all-terrain tire for wet pavement driving. That's why I got the TerrainContacts, plus they were one of the few all-terrains offered in my OEM size (245/60R18), which was important to me.

Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3

Continental TerrainContact A/T

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Oem Michelins are around 3llbs each. KO2s aren't available in the stock size but in the popular upsizes you will be looking at between 44 and 51lbs each. Thats a major gain in unsprung weight. The Terrain Contact's and the Destination AT2s in the stock size are low 30s.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts