Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have new axles and measured them up and they are exactly the same length wise from the thread end to the base. Well here is my problem I match up the spline and slid it in. Go to thread on the nut and it's like the threaded part doesn't have enough thread protruding enough to punch it to lock it in, any ideas?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I have new axles and measured them up and they are exactly the same length wise from the thread end to the base. Well here is my problem I match up the spline and slid it in. Go to thread on the nut and it's like the threaded part doesn't have enough thread protruding enough to punch it to lock it in, any ideas?
Are you using the same nut?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The new one and old one are the same height. I looked at the back and it's butted right up to the bearing so I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I'd say measure again... you're missing something. Be sure to look for any radius at the root of the shaft that could possibly be interefering with the elements that are sliding onto it. Otherwise, something is NOT the same between old & new. Put the old back on there if you run out of things to check & just need to prove to yourself where you are. Also, try the old nut just for grins... that's the easiest thing to check after it has all been reassembled. BTW, you didn't put a washer/spacer in the wrong sequence somewhere, did you??? I don't recall the exact component configuration there, and don't want to look it up right now, but thought I'd throw that 'generic' concern out there.
Lastly, what kind of measuring tools are you using? Tolerance "stack-up" can combine quickly if a little is added here, and a little added there, so if you're trying to compare measurements, old-to-new, you need to be measuring precisely.

My best guess is that you're not seeing a full engagement of the shaft (root radius or ???), but w/o seeing things, it's hard to speculate.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took a vernier caliper and measure the length of both shafts and the new one is 10mm shorter. I contacted the place I bought it from and it's the right one so to save myself a ton of hassle since it was already installed. I took the nut and shaved down the top lip 10mm with a flap grinder and put the nut back on.. It now fits perfect and I was able to punch in the indent..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts