Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am looking into getting some new headlights that have LED running lights. RetroFit looks to have some nice products. Thanks for the comments!

·
Administrator
20,292 Posts
It is always sad and frustrating to see someone make illegal modifications to their lighting systems that blind oncoming drivers and increase the risk of damage, injury, or death. Please revert your headlights to the stock configuration which has been tested for safety. I'm glad I am unlikely to meet you on the road, but I have sympathy for those who do.

·
Registered
558 Posts
It is always sad and frustrating to see someone make illegal modifications to their lighting systems that blind oncoming drivers and increase the risk of damage, injury, or death. Please revert your headlights to the stock configuration which has been tested for safety. I'm glad I am unlikely to meet you on the road, but I have sympathy for those who do.

Well said...I Agree

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pacific pewter metallic
2,718 Posts
Take it from someone who drives their Ridge "a lot". Aftermarket lights aren't fun to look at on the road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Take it from someone who drives their Ridge "a lot". Aftermarket lights aren't fun to look at on the road.
I agree.

Unfortunately, the HID kits tend to turn the headlights into floodlights.

The reflective pattern completely changes with a HID kit. On cars with projector headlights it isn't nearly as bad but with standard headlights the pattern from the lights is now everywhere rather than aimed at the road.
Unfortunately, those kits are getting cheaper and thus more popular and you can easily see it when the cars are in traffic behind other large cars the light will shine right up to the top of a large truck.

At the angle and height of the picture there shouldn't be a "glow" showing up at all like in the picture. That 'glow' will be a blinding glare to other drivers that will greatly affect their ability to see.

If it is shining noticably at that height and angle just imagine what it is doing to drivers coming towards you at a much more foward and lower angle.

I'm a light nut but I wish they'd crack down on these setups. They are dangerous not only to other drivers but to pedestrians and cyclists that disappear with the other drivers night vision while their eyes try to readjust.

·
Administrator
20,292 Posts
There have been many posts on here about the legality and ethics of HID headlight retrofits - including some pretty heated discussions. I don't have the authority to arrest anyone nor will I wish death to anyone guilty of this practice, but I will beg and plead for people not to do it or to reverse the sin if it has already been committed. The simple fact is there is NO legal, aftermarket HID headlight retrofit for any vehicle. The only legal headlights for a vehicle are the ones that originally came on the vehicle or are exact replacements for what was originally offered on the vehicle from the manufacturer. Period.

The vast majority of law enforcement seem either ignorant to the fact or they are more concerned about donuts. Where I live, I regularly encounter a handful of vehicles with not only blinding, aftermarket headlights, but also fog/driving lights. One truck even drives around with an overwhelming LED light bar that is obviously designed for off-road use only and is illegal for on-road use yet the police don't stop him. (Probably the police chief's son.)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Looks really good,, Time to get mine together...

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's not the brightness he is talking about, it's the screwed up light pattern that aftermarket HID kits produce in a NON HID headlamp assembly.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The glare that is produced above the normal beam pattern. Lighting up Highway signs is fun, but that glare is also visible to the people that are driving in front of you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Speaking of cranky.

It has nothing at all to do with the brightness of the lights and everything to do with the reflective pattern.

As I stated in my post the HID kits change the reflective pattern from the headlights because the light from the bulb does not come from the exact same place within the headlight assembly as original bulbs.

Your picture was a very classic example of the problem. If you stand in the same position and take a picture of another Ridgeline with the factory bulb setup (even a super bright versions of the factory bulbs) it won't be "glowing" in the picture. That is because with the factory setup there isn't enough light reflected off at that angle to show a glow.

Take a picture of your headlights shining against a flat wall at a short distance and compare that to a picture taken with the stock setup. I can guarantee you that the light from your headlights will extend much higher than the factory setup especially to the left side where the factory setup cuts lower to avoid shining into oncoming cars.

This is what we are talking about seeing come towards us on the road.

As dtexan has pointed out projector headlight setups help alleviate the glare although even then you can generally tell the difference between factory HID and conversions. But they are light-years better than HID in a standard headlight.

again, I love bright lights: flashlights, security lights, headlights but just know where the light is going.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts