Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got tapped in the rear yesterday at a stoplight. Just enough to get a bang and feel the truck move against the brakes. I have no idea why the 2003 Grand Am didn't get stopped. Traffic was moving slowly and maybe he got distracted.

Anyway, the only damage I can tell is that my hitchscan backup sensor is broken and doesn't work. It took the brunt of the hit. I see no sign of any damage or even of a hit on the bumper itself.

Ordered a new hitchscan from Amazon today. Hope it's as good as the original one I've had installed for several years. Backup sensors should be standard on all vehicles imo.

Here's a shot of the hitch mount sensor after the hit. Hard to tell any damage exists:

Here's the front bumper of the Grand Am. If you zoom in on the pic, you can see an imprint of my center backup sensor just below and centered between the T and the I of the word Pontiac.

The damage:

I'm grateful the hit was so light and damage so little. Just up the road a mile or less away was a pretty bad headon crash that had traffic tied up.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,809 Posts
I love my Hitchscan. I've been tapped on it a couple of times and it still works. Cheap rear end protection in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I love my Hitchscan. I've been tapped on it a couple of times and it still works. Cheap rear end protection in my opinion.
I like mine and it continues to keep on ticking (or beeping.)

It is cheap protection, although not as cheap as they used to be. It seems now they are more popular for more money. Although that does not take away from their usefulness.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I didn't know they still made these, but $200 is kinda steep. I'd rather get a wireless backup camera for $50 and spend another $50 on a real hitch step/bumper from Weathertech. Do you guys think sound is a better warning system than video?

EDIT: Nevermind, I was just thinking if you have a basic OEM radio then the backup camera would be a lot more expensive because you need a screen as well.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
i think sound has an advantage because that sucker will beep no matter what your eyes are looking at.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,809 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep. I paid $35 for my original unit. The new one is $210-ish with tax from Amazon Prime, courtesy of the insurance carrier from the other vehicle. Absolutely invaluable device, imo. I even miss it on our Pilot, which has great visibility to the rear.

·
Super Moderator
22,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think sound has an advantage because that sucker will beep no matter what your eyes are looking at.
Ditto this. I can't tell you how many times I've started to back up in a parking lot and had someone just about walk behind me from the side. The hitchscan alerted me each time (those C pillars block the view).

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Ditto this. I can't tell you how many times I've started to back up in a parking lot and had someone just about walk behind me from the side. The hitchscan alerted me each time (those C pillars block the view).
I also found by using both I can back into a parking space with a good degree of precision.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Good point. I think a backup camera with sound alert combination would be the best: camera for parallel parking in the city and sound sensor for suburban parking lots. I've been putting my Ridgeline projects on the back burner for the past 2 years, but I think you guys are talking me into this. Now if only I can find time to install that 10" subwoofer I bought over 2 years ago. My subwoofer box was the last one made by Elemental Designs before they went out of business.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I have Hitchscan too. I thought about just having the OEM sensors put in but this was way cheaper. It's not perfect (sometimes beeps when nothing is there) but is quite helpful in parking lots and parralel parking.

·
Super Moderator
22,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I think the insurance company breathed a sigh of relief when they realized this wasn't an OEM backup sensor installation that was destroyed by their client.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got hit from behind and the Muslim woman that hit me told the police officer that I put my truck in reverse. I was stopped at red light waiting for green light. Now her insurance won't pay. I want to ask 1 million drivers: how many of you have ever put your car in reverse, while waiting for green light?
I believe God will take care of it.
My rear bumper cover is cracked, she got no damage.
maybe God is punishing me for stop going to church?.
I have no more words to express my anger...

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Well, I can't say I never put mine into reserve when stopped at a light and realized I was into the crosswalk and pedestrians were crossing. But it is very rare and I made sure not to hit anything behind me if there was a vehicle behind me.

I don't know why they took her word over yours since most rear-enders are the result of someone hitting a vehicle from the rear.

Maybe her attendance at the mosque exceeds yours at the church?

·
Super Moderator
22,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With no witness or other evidence to the contrary, I cannot see how you can be faulted alone. The classic he said/she said scenario. I suspect insurance for each vehicle will take care of their own.

OTOH, if you have a dashcam, you might be able to prove your innocence. Did anyone get a ticket?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts