Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a Kenwood KDC BT555U purchased from Crutchfield. Install went well, Bluetooth works great and sound quality much improved over factory. Here's my issue - the radio reception is extremely weak and static filled. I followed the crutchfield instructions. The antenna adaptor had an extra blue wire for a power antenna feature (which I know does not exist), but I tied it to the corresponding blue wire on the harness adaptor - figured it would be the same as taping it of. I was reading through posts and see that Laserguy had 2 recommendations:
1. Connect the blue wire to pin #2 (red/yellow) of wiring harness.
2. Connect the black ground wire to a new ground to the left of the glovebox.

I have no problem doing this but I like to understand things - can anyone tell me the "why" for these 2 recommendations? Crutchfield didn't state to attach to an alternate ground point and what is the yellow/red wire for? Why does that correct the reception problem?
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
If I understand your question right, I think I may have an answer. The ridgeline has a powered amplifier attached to the antenna to boost the signal up to the radio. It requires 12vdc. Otherwise the signal would be very weak, which is what you are experiencing. Normally this is powered by the Honda radio, but if you change the radio, then you lose this power.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The wire on the ant adapter needs a constant source when the ign is on to power the ant booster. The blue wire from the HU is used to momentarily power the ant up when turned on and again to lower the ant when theradio is off.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
If I understand your question right, I think I may have an answer. The ridgeline has a powered amplifier attached to the antenna to boost the signal up to the radio. It requires 12vdc. Otherwise the signal would be very weak, which is what you are experiencing. Normally this is powered by the Honda radio, but if you change the radio, then you lose this power.
You are correct about the Ridgeline's antenna amplifier. But just because you change the HU doesn't mean you can't use the Honda antenna. You just need to supply it with 12V. You can get switched 12V from lots of places.

If you do not use the antenna amp your radio reception will be terrible because the Ridgeline antenna design is stupid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys - tied the blue into the switched red/yellow and I have radio reception!
While I think Crutchfield is great to work with for their selection, pricing, instructions and included install kits I am disappointed they were not aware/did not advise of this simple, required antenna connection.

·
Registered
75 Posts
How do you tie a wire into the harness, do you put it into the opposite side of the harness or use a quick splice connector?

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
How do you tie a wire into the harness, do you put it into the opposite side of the harness or use a quick splice connector?
Either way works. I secured mine putting it on the opposite side of the connector, I think I used a small bullet connector that fit there tight. I rather not tap or slice and any wire, and if I have to I just cut it.

You can also dip the wire on solder and fold it or snug it in there tight then secure it with tape around all the wires to make sure it will not come loose and if it does it will not not touch anything else. I think that is how I did the Metra Axxess adapter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I realize this is an older thread, but wanted to share my experience in my G1-Ridgeline (new to me). I changed out the stock Honda HU. I put in BT System from Sony, DSX-B700. Picked this up from Crutchfield. I also installed and used their standard wiring harness they supply, Metra 70-1721 Receiver Wiring Harness.

After I hooked it up, all was working, except my AM radio reception was poor. FM was pretty good. AM sorta sucked. My wife makes fun of me, at 45-years old, I basically only listen to AM radio when in the car. I had to fix it--it just wasn't right.

I also called Crutchfield and the solution was simple. The Blue-White wire on my Sony wiring harness had to be spliced into the the Blue-Blue antenna wires from the Metra harness above. That was the only connection between all the two wiring harnesses where there was a three-way wire splice.

I didn't 100% put it together until afterwards that it was a powered antenna. The Blue-White pushes a lil' bit of power to activate the antenna and all of a sudden, I receive radio stations. Sony's documentation made it sound like it was for steering wheel controls, but the folks at Crutchfield gave me the advice 100% correctly.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL
6 Posts
Just installed a Kenwood KDC BT555U purchased from Crutchfield. Install went well, Bluetooth works great and sound quality much improved over factory. Here's my issue - the radio reception is extremely weak and static filled. I followed the crutchfield instructions. The antenna adaptor had an extra blue wire for a power antenna feature (which I know does not exist), but I tied it to the corresponding blue wire on the harness adaptor - figured it would be the same as taping it of. I was reading through posts and see that Laserguy had 2 recommendations:
1. Connect the blue wire to pin #2 (red/yellow) of wiring harness.
2. Connect the black ground wire to a new ground to the left of the glovebox.

I have no problem doing this but I like to understand things - can anyone tell me the "why" for these 2 recommendations? Crutchfield didn't state to attach to an alternate ground point and what is the yellow/red wire for? Why does that correct the reception problem?
Thanks in advance for your help.
The blue wire is probably actually for the power antenna motor..raising and lowering an antenna.
Your aftermarket wire harness will probably have a red wire and a yellow wire. Connect the blue wire coming from the aftermarket antenna adapter to the red wire on the aftermarket radio wire harness. This will be 12V ACC (power when the ignition is on), the yellow wire is a constant 12V that is on even without the key in the ignition...would not recommend this one because it could drain your battery if your car sets long enough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts