Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not haul many things in my bed but every once and a while I need to take some junk to the dump or haul off some limbs and brush. I usually just toss an old, thick comforter back there and drap it over the sides - no scratches yet!!

The other day I was at a Tractor Supply Co. store. Outside they had stacks of what they called "stall mats". These are very heavy, thick (maybe 1/2") rubber mats that are 4'x6'. With a little trim work at the end of about a foot, this should be a very good general purpose bed mat. It looks like it is indestructable and of course should never blow out.

I can see an issue with the trunk however. Maybe something this thick and heavy will restrict access to the trunk. I was thinking of getting one of these and just using it when I need it but it is so heavy that approach might be a real pain.

The beauty of this thing is not only a good size for us (with minimal trim required) but the price - only $43. I consider that a real bargin! Has anyone had experience with a "stall mat"?

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
I remember someone posted that they bought a stall mat. Was it you, LadyRidge? I didn't turn it up on a search.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sort of remember that too Truckin' but did not know who posted it. There have been a lot threads about bed mats and something like this would be hard to find. So, if anyone has experience with this please let us know.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hello Shortspark,
Thanks for the Tractor Supply Store info! Got a stall mat today at our local store.

Here's a helpful tip. I cut exactly 13 inches off and the excess fits exactly at the front of the bed below the rear window and it and the mat fit snugly together for a fuller coverage of our beautiful composite beds. The tailgate is still vulnerable but guess we'll just have to be careful to not scratch it. Got mine for $35.00- not bad for a very functional bed mat. It's quite heavy and a little difficult to open the trunk lid but protects the bed quite well.

I know this belongs in another thread but I'm gonna throw it in here anyway. I just installed an Air Razor "vortex generator" in the intake tube just after the air filter box for better mileage and performance. This is a stainless steel ring of fins that swirl the air entering the engine for better air/fuel mixture. Got mine on eBay for about $17 plus shipping
Here's the url:
www.precisionpowerparts.com
I've only been getting 13 - 14 mpg w/ mostly in town driving at 11,000 miles.
I'll update all when the mileage numbers come back.
Happy New Year to all you ROC'ers
tscdc
RTL Redrock Pearl/ tan interior moonroof/XM trailer hitch

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for resurrecting this old thread tscdc; I was wondering if anyone had tried one of these mats. I still have not bought one as I'm starting to question my real need for the thing. I just don't haul anything that an old, thick comforter can't handle. I keep it in a big box with my detail products and just throw it in there if I have to haul something, I am starting to think that the effort involved with the trunk (which I use all the time) would not make it worth it.

BTW, can you tell me how it stands up to rain? By that I mean does it get soaked and have to dry out or does it repel water? I really did not pay any attention to how porous the material was. And please do keep us informed on the performance of that generator thing.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
tscdc said:
I know this belongs in another thread but I'm gonna throw it in here anyway. I just installed an Air Razor "vortex generator" in the intake tube just after the air filter box for better mileage and performance. This is a stainless steel ring of fins that swirl the air entering the engine for better air/fuel mixture. Got mine on eBay for about $17 plus shipping
How could Honda have been so shortsighted as to leave that off? Tried the magnets yet? One born every minute.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
678 Posts
shortspark,
I've worked with many a stall mat before when I had to deal with livestock. They are extremely tough and repel water since they are made from solid rubber type material. Downside is indeed the trunk access. The mat is very heavy and won't move around much if you tried rolling it up for the trunk lid. The other issue is cutting it. I nearly ruined a radial saw trying to cut a thick one one time. The blade was shot when I was through. Another thing.....if you get water underneath if (and you will) it will be very tough for the bed to dry out. It's composite so that may not matter to you. It may smell funky in the spring though.:eek:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Basils, thanks. That is what I need to know. I think for the time being I'll leave the bed as it is and just throw my big, thick comforter on it when I need to.

·
Registered
132 Posts
tscdc said:
It's quite heavy and a little difficult to open the trunk lid but protects the bed quite well.
Depending on the thickness of the mat... could it scoured on the bottom side at the trunk hinge for ease of accessibility?

TL

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hello shortspark and all,
I'm new to this forum but have had my RL since Sept.
I probably could have gotten a good bed mat for about $50 but I was at Tractor Supply on 12-31-05 and I couldn't resist the urge to go ahead and get the mat. It is heavy and a pain to lift to get the trunk open but I've hardly hauled anything in the bed so far and already seeing quite a few scratches really showing up. So I wanted to go ahead and get some protection for it. It is just about the perfect width and now exact length cut to fit. Don't know yet about how it holds up in rain... we haven't had any to speak of in about 6 weeks. But it sure is durable and "bouncy" rubber so good for protection.

BTW you may be right about that born every minute thing but it seemed inexpensive and simple attempt for better mileage/performance. Just put it in so it'll be a while before I know if the mileage improves. But it may just be my imagination but the Ridge seems to accelerate a bit smoother and not quite as jumpy on take off as before. Again, it may just be my imagination but...

·
Registered
78 Posts
It might could be scored or even cut in 2 pieces as it stays in place. Can hardly get it to budge. A separate piece over just the trunk lid might make it easier to lift/open? With it cut,too, the smaller piece just over the trunk lid could be easier moved or removed to access the trunk. I will consider cutting it into 2 pcs.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info tscdc. I sort of suspected that because that sucker was so heavy it would be a problem for the trunk. The upside is it is cheap, will last forever and nothing will get through to harm the bed.

Let us know how your two piece configuration works out. Each piece should be heavy enough on its own not to be blown out by the wind. Basils said he ruined a saw cutting up one of these things. What did you use to cut it?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have the stall mat from Farm & Tractor installed on my Ford Ranger. I did have to cut it down. The mat is about 3/4 of inch thick with "bumps" on the bottom to provide air between the mat and the bed floor. I will probably use one on my Ridgeline, as they provide good protection at a low cost.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts