Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This may be just a coincidence, but I got in my truck this morning and my stereo was dead.....I could just barely make out the sound when turned it up..maybe an amp. I hope it has nothing to due with the new speakers. I may forget to mention it when I bring it in for service...bummer-no music.

Any ideas?? Where is the AMP?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Definitely sounds like one of your new speakers is grounding out. check the tinsel leads and speaker terminals to make sure they aren't touching any metal. You can cover them in tape thou eventually the tapre will fall off. You may just need a slightly thicker spacer. Check it out and let me know what you find. By the way, I have been Mobile Electronics Certified for six years and own my own car audio shop. Let me know if I could be of any assistance.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK thanks....can you fly to the east coast?? :)

I'll remove the panels (yikes) and see what I see.

Sorry...guys, I started a similar thread with this...maybe a moderator can combine.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
If someone searches and stumbles on this thread, I will add that I installed the same speakers today and had the same problem. It is not the fault of the speakers. It was the knucklehead installer (who we will leave nameless :rolleyes: ) that did have one of the speaker wires touching the door frame. it is a tight fit so the alignment of the spacer and the speaker is critical. After removing the speaker and re-positioning the terminals everything works fine. There was a period of time that I was not so sure. I was concerned that maybe I had blown up the system amplifier. Of course, I checked each speaker after it was installed before putting the door panel back on - except for one. You guessed it, it was the one that I forgot to test.
The new speakers sound great. I am hearing things that I have never heard before. The high end and overall clarity, including the bass, is so much better than the stock speakers were that it sounds like a completely different system. I did a before and after comparison playing Dire Straights Brothers in Arms, Fleetwood Macs Rumours, Tears for Fears, sound track from Titanic, and some Hendrix and a lot of Santana. Absolutely amazing! There is no comparison. The old speakers sound like they were covered with a pile of blankets. It now sounds better than my home system!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey Ultra,

Did you replace all 4 speakers or just the two up front? How long did it take?

Stereolab

Did you receive the "Bra"?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I replaced all four. I forgot to mention, they are on sale at Circuit City for $79.99 per pair. Also, you don't need to buy additional spacers. Just use the mounting rings for the grilles. That saved $28.00 for two pair of plastic spacers. If I had to do it all over, I probably would buy them from Crutchfield because they give you plug in wire harness adapters and spacers. I cut the plugs off and soldered the wires to a little pig-tail that I made for the 6012s. The first speaker install took about an hour and a half. Mostly gathering tools and getting everything ready. The other three took about 45 minutes each, not counting the time that it took me to fix my mistake.

Yes, I got the package today. It looks great. I have not put it on yet.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Sorry to wander away from the subject of this thread. Off topic material on this thread was caused by me. Sorry. I am not a moderator but in the interest of keeping threads on subject, other than discussions about a dead stereo after speaker installation, further discussions about the installation and speakers in general should probably be on the Door speakers, ughhh door speakers! ,http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=38154#post38154 thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts