Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am a new member with a new (to me) black 2007 RTL. So far, I absolutely love it. It is in very good shape......

I do have a tailgate question. When I first bought the Ridgeline, the tailgate opened both directions. It was perfect opening up and down but swing mode wasn't perfect. It opened in swing mode, but the latch was a little iffy. So, I took the time to understand the synchronizer and how it worked and decided that maybe I needed a new cable for swing mode. I replaced the cable and that is when everything went south. Thinking that something might be up with the synchronizer, I ordered a new one and installed it (since it wasn't very expensive). Unfortunately, it still works the same with the new synchronizer. I then realized that if I move the bottom green rod over toward the passenger side of the vehicle and then squeeze the latch, it opens fine. So, that told me that maybe something was wrong with the outside latch (passenger side). I removed it and took a good look at it. It seems to move like it is supposed to. So, when I put everything back together, same issue. Is there anyone who has intimate knowledge of the outside latch and how it is supposed to work? Again, the syncronizer and cable for the latch are new items. I'm just not sure why this isn't working and wondered if anyone has seen this before........I took pictures and can post them if I need to.......Thanks very much.

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,891 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks much........unfortunately, that outside lower latch assy is almost 150 dollars....... :( Seems a bit overpriced to me as the synchronizer assy was only 60 dollars........Oh well, what do you do. Again, thanks for the threads, much appreciated.

· Registered
5,700 Posts
Thanks much........unfortunately, that outside lower latch assy is almost 150 dollars....... :( Seems a bit overpriced to me as the synchronizer assy was only 60 dollars........Oh well, what do you do. Again, thanks for the threads, much appreciated.
Be sure that you inspected closely to verify that all of those little plastic clips that connect the various rods are fully intact. It is not uncommon for one of these to break, and they don't always "jump out at you" visually when you are taking a look. If a clip is broken in one of these linkage connections, it may be that all of the major pieces are working just fine, and you just need to reestablish that mechanical connection, (which has been lost), by replacing a broken clip.

Might be worth a second look! :wink:

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,891 Posts
I also seem to remember a thread where the Tailgate was "out of adjustment" and one member described the repair along the lines of the mechanic did it right in the check in lane and was done before he could get checked in and be charged/pay for it. IIRC

I'd call around, in addition to Honda, a body shop or good import shop may know a "trick" or two.

Never hurts to ask.

· Registered
1,211 Posts
This question didn't deserve it's own thread so I'm hijacking this one.

What material is the tailgate skin made from? I noticed two tiny pinhead sized corrosion spots on my tailgate but I can't tell if maybe they're just a couple of metal flakes that somehow embedded themselves in the paint or if the tailgate is actually beginning to rust. They're VERY small but they're noticeable in the otherwise perfect finish.

If they're metal shavings, I figure I'll just wet sand and buff them out.

· Registered
5,700 Posts
If you are talking about the inside vertical wall of the tailgate (horizontal upward surface with tailgate in down position), this material is the same composite as the rest of the bed (floor & walls). There should be no rusting of this..... unless as you said there is something ferrous embedded in it.

· Registered
1,211 Posts
If you are talking about the inside vertical wall of the tailgate (horizontal upward surface with tailgate in down position), this material is the same composite as the rest of the bed (floor & walls). There should be no rusting of this..... unless as you said there is something ferrous embedded in it.
No, the outside skin. Painted part with the Ridgeline badge on it. It doesn't sound like metal when you tap on it. Not sure if it's plastic, metal, composite...?

· Registered
55 Posts
I have found these flakes / specs in my paint too on other panels ( 2 pieces in the roof paint, 1 piece in l body colored plastic bumper and possibly more). I posted these finding in another post.

I suspect the Lincoln, AL plant has some issues in the spray paint department? They are small blemishes but should be completely unacceptable. My Japanese built Hondas were spotless.

Can you post pictures? I'll do the same.

P. S. The tailgate section you referring to is metal

· Registered
1,211 Posts
Ya know, I didn't even think about sticking a magnet to it. Good lord. Alright, it's metal.

And my '08 was built in Canada. I'll see if I can get a picture this weekend.

· Registered
1,211 Posts
Tough to get a picture of but one of the specks is almost dead center in this one. The speck itself is tiny but it's creating a sort of halo in the clear coat. Bothers the crap out of me. And there are two of them.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.