Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings
I purchased a 2012 RTL about a month ago and am very pleased so far. It has a number of options Navigation, roof rack, side steps, hood and sunroof deflector, trail hitch and front bumper guard. I purchased it from the BMW dealer in Monterey. It is white with grey leather interior It had 10,097 miles on it and I paid $34,061.00 including the sales tax of 9% and transfer fees of $654.00.
The only thing that I have found to be disappointing is the gas mileage around town. I will look to this forum for information and gideance. The last Honda car that I owned was in 1976 and that was a very small civic station wagon.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Greetings
I purchased a 2012 RTL about a month ago and am very pleased so far. It has a number of options Navigation, roof rack, side steps, hood and sunroof deflector, trail hitch and front bumper guard. I purchased it from the BMW dealer in Monterey. It is white with grey leather interior It had 10,097 miles on it and I paid $34,061.00 including the sales tax of 9% and transfer fees of $654.00.
The only thing that I have found to be disappointing is the gas mileage around town. I will look to this forum for information and gideance. The last Honda car that I owned was in 1976 and that was a very small civic station wagon.
You need to put your blinders on with respect to fuel mileage if you want to enjoy your Ridgeline. As you say, all else is great. Try a light foot for somewhat (minor) improved economy.... otherwise you're stuck.

You might enjoy this however:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2160&highlight=things+you+didn't+know+about+your+ridgeline

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Nice choice in color, year, and trim level. :)

What sort of mileage numbers are you getting?

Several members have confirmed that the average gas mileage calculated/displayed by the Ridgeline is actually very accurate.

My driving style is very much influenced by what I'm driving. I used to own a manual-trans, turbo sedan and I flogged the snot out of that thing and averaged about 24mpg even though it was rated at 24-city 32-hwy mpg.

I tend to drive the Ridgeline about average, not fast, but not pokey either. In town I drive about the same speed or slightly faster than most other traffic, on the highway I pass far more cars than pass me. I might stop on it from a traffic light a couple of times per fill-up. I haven't reset my trip odometer in over 3,000 miles and it shows an average mileage of 18.6mpg.

Make sure your tires are all at 32psi and try driving with a lighter foot and see if that helps. Also, I have found that there is a significant difference in mpg between driving below 70 and over 75.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice choice in color, year, and trim level. :)

What sort of mileage numbers are you getting?

Several members have confirmed that the average gas mileage calculated/displayed by the Ridgeline is actually very accurate.

My driving style is very much influenced by what I'm driving. I used to own a manual-trans, turbo sedan and I flogged the snot out of that thing and averaged about 24mpg even though it was rated at 24-city 32-hwy mpg.

I tend to drive the Ridgeline about average, not fast, but not pokey either. In town I drive about the same speed or slightly faster than most other traffic, on the highway I pass far more cars than pass me. I might stop on it from a traffic light a couple of times per fill-up. I haven't reset my trip odometer in over 3,000 miles and it shows an average mileage of 18.6mpg.

Make sure your tires are all at 32psi and try driving with a lighter foot and see if that helps. Also, I have found that there is a significant difference in mpg between driving below 70 and over 75.
I am getting 11.5 mpg around town lots of stop and go but on the highway I get great mileage 20+ I do not have a heavy foot. Also own and drive a 2003 Toyota 4Runner with a v8 and it gets 14.5 around town and 21 on the highway both of these vehicles are atomic 4 wheel drive I am very happy with the Ridgeline ways just wondering if this is what most owner are getting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am getting 11.5 mpg around town lots of stop and go but on the highway I get great mileage 20+ I do not have a heavy foot. Also own and drive a 2003 Toyota 4Runner with a v8 and it gets 14.5 around town and 21 on the highway both of these vehicles are atomic 4 wheel drive I am very happy with the Ridgeline ways just wondering if this is what most owner are getting.
My Ridge has always put up decent highway numbers. 24mpg on a trip to Davis, CA and back a few years back. Around town, however, it definitely takes a dip. 11.5 is considerably low (I get 14-16, depending on my aggression level), so I would say to check the usual suspects: tire pressure, air filter, alignment. You may want to see if it's equipped with stock tires. If they're larger than stock, they'll produce lower numbers than you're actually incurring. Larger tires will also, naturally, cause your fuel economy to dip as well.

Also, welcome to the Ridge family! The CA family at that!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your input I will have the alignment check I do notice that the steering wheel is not centered when I am going straight down the road

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Yea, 11.5 is really low.

Trying to think of what else could cause it to be that low in town. Check all of the items Mallux mentioned and it wouldn't hurt to dump a can of injector cleaner in the tank. I assume the truck idles fine, if not might be a good idea to check all spark plugs to be sure they are clean and snug. Would a dirty/malfunctioning MAF or O2 sensor mess up city mpg?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Let us know how it goes. If it is only the alignment that's causing such a significant deficit in fuel economy, I'd like to know for future reference.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
I get 13-14 around town but can get 21-22 on any freeway trip and I push 70-75 on the freeway.

·
Registered
180 Posts
No pictures...didn't happen. Post a pic of your ride. As for mpg...who cares. Our culture is gravitating toward making purchase decisions based on mpg? So...people will pay $5K more to get 5 more mpg. Do the math....you can pay for a lot of gas and drive a hell of a long way for $5K. It's all nonsense.

As for environment....fish farting in the sea cause way more greenhouse gas than civilization. A single belch from a volcano WAY more than humans since our existance...Seriously? Lets do our best but not get nuts about it.

Congratulations....enjoy your Ridgeline and ...post a nice picture.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts