Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a used 2006 RL this Spring from a local car lot in Mount Pearl, NL, truck was brought in from Florida. It had 32,000 miles when I got it. Rcently got a check engine light and code says PO420. Local Honda Dealer(City Honda, St John's NL) says replace two cats and 4 o2 sensors $5,300.00, not under warrenty cause the vehicle was originally purchased in US and Honda Canada will not cover this work. Buyer beware I guess...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
That's not good news. Wonder if the used car lot was aware of it and reset the codes to get you off the lot and away. (Not that I have a suspicious mind or anything.)

Sorry to hear it.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Really sorry to hear about your misfortunes, but welcome to the club. NF is beautiful country, I drove my 73 Dodge Power Wagon up to Topsail, Conception Bay area along time ago to see the love of my life, don't know what ever happened to her, but I know that I'll never drive another truck like that up there again, the RL maybe.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I kinda have to agree with Matt. Sounds a little suspicious that the dealer may have just reset the code.

Welcome to ROC! Good luck here on out.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I believe that is for the rear cat ... PO420...

Does your check engine light stay on??
Have you tried to use premium gas?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Welcome 2 ROC!!!
Search engine will be your best friend... :act035:
Post some pics.... ;act028:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Geez, that's a tough situation. If the dealer pulled something on you, hopefully the bad karma comes back to them tenfold.

Welcome to ROC. Lots of good information here.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi -- My mother's family is from PEI, and I LOVE Newfoundland!

An idea -- would it be possible to drive to the US, and THEN 'notice' the light, and take it to a US dealer? Would they then fix it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey folks, thanks for the feedback kind words. Yes, I am using premium gas but the light stays on. I've reset the code by removing the neg terminal on the battery and after a short time (30 - 40 miles) the light reappears. The trip accross the border may be an option. The other option is to bite the bullet and bring if to the dealer here for repairs.The o2 sensors may be salvageable which would help minimize the cost.The cost of the 2 cats is the real shocker...$1,100 and $1,500.00 each. I understand that they cost a fraction of that in the US.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi -- My mother's family is from PEI, and I LOVE Newfoundland!

An idea -- would it be possible to drive to the US, and THEN 'notice' the light, and take it to a US dealer? Would they then fix it?
Not likely if it has Canadian registration if American Honda treats the warranty the sa,e way Honda Canada does.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You're probably right, Lizzurd.

I get frustrated by some of the cross border cross culturalism, too. I'm a dual citizen, with family in the Midwest and Middle Rockies in the US, and from Vancouver to Regina and clustering on the east shore, mainly around PEI.

What amuses/irritates me is that because nature has given me a short, dumpy body and a face that appears (as my brilliant and beautiful wife says) as if it were not shaped by a life of pious thoughts and good works, then I seem to ring all of the terrorist bells when I cross the border in either direction.

I swear, if I hear 'cavity search' one more time.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
An update on my p0420 code. I purchased two cats from Fife Honda WA. for $400.00 each. By the time I received them (shipping, taxes, customs fees, etc) the costs $1,100.00. Dealer wanted $1,100 +tax each. My buddy replaced them in his garage during Xmas break. I gave him $200.00 bucks for his efforts.
So far no more check engine light. Ridge is running much better, more power, smoother shifting, and better gas mileage. Total cost $1,220(I got $80.00 for the used cats). Very pleased overall. I would recommend that anybody has these codes (P0430,P0430) have it checked out and if require procced with the cat replacement...I,m glad I did.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
An update on my p0420 code. I purchased two cats from Fife Honda WA. for $400.00 each. By the time I received them (shipping, taxes, customs fees, etc) the costs $1,100.00. Dealer wanted $1,100 +tax each. My buddy replaced them in his garage during Xmas break. I gave him $200.00 bucks for his efforts.
So far no more check engine light. Ridge is running much better, more power, smoother shifting, and better gas mileage. Total cost $1,220(I got $80.00 for the used cats). Very pleased overall. I would recommend that anybody has these codes (P0430,P0430) have it checked out and if require procced with the cat replacement...I,m glad I did.
Glad to hear that your truck is running good and that you saved a ton of money on the repairs. Thanks for the update.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts