Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have read about this noise on the forum before but I can't find it.
Truck has 8000 mi and just in the past week when it is started after sitting at work or overnight there is a clunk sound when you turn the steering wheel, it sounds like it is coming from the left side. It is not the Anti Lock noise, that comes after I start rolling. I am going to contact my dealer and see whats up. I also have a slight rattle behind the steering wheel when I go over small bumps? Any info that I could get to pass along to the dealer would help, this is my first warranty issue so I don't know how good these guys are.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Mine does something very similar. If it has been sitting overnight, after engaging drive and rolling forward 10 feet or so, there is a clunk as if a transfer case is engaging.

I plan to have the dealer look at this when I take it in for an oil change.

Other than this issue, rock solid so far with just shy of 5k on the ODO.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I hear a clunk sound every morning. It's a vent or something in the ventilation system. All my Hondas do this. Could it be that the sound just happens to coincide with the turning of the wheel? Just a thought.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the front struts replaced in my Honda yesterday. Along with the whistling windshield being checked out, and the rear center AC vent tab being replaced - the first one fell off. They were unable to fix the w/shield, so they are holding the truck until a w/shield repair person can come deal w/ it. They are bringing a new w/shield when they come. After replacing the stuts, there is still something wrong. They haven't encountered this before, so they're trying to figure out what is wrong. They'll let me know when they figure it out. In the meantime I have been given a Chev. Malibu to drive. It's dirty and wreaks of cig.'s so bad it's making me sick. I called them about this this morning, the rental co. should give me a call sometime today. The service guy told me they replaced someone elses shocks the day before mine. They also told me they had just received a notice from Honda about the w/shield. My Ford friends say they know what's wrong w/ my truck............it's a Honda! I love my truck, but I'm not feeling very good about things right now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Up Date to New Noise

jna said:
Truck has 8000 mi and just in the past week when it is started after sitting at work or overnight there is a clunk sound when you turn the steering wheel, it sounds like it is coming from the left side. It is not the Anti Lock noise, that comes after I start rolling. I am going to contact my dealer and see whats up. I also have a slight rattle behind the steering wheel when I go over small bumps? Any info that I could get to pass along to the dealer would help, this is my first warranty issue so I don't know how good these guys are.
UPDATE NEW NOISE;
Took it to the dealer last week, after dismissing the forum as not being an accurate source of information (very annoying) he went on to show me how there were no service records in the Honda Data Base that showed any problems with struts. They kept the truck all day an told me they had ordered new strut mounts for it, in the meantime the noise has increased to the point that it no longer has to sit for overnight, sometimes a quick run in for coffee is enough for the noise to come back, I even heard it while pulling up to stop signs over the weekend. I will keep posting until it is resolved

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have yet to have any problems like this, I do hear a clunk every morning I drive the truck in just about the same place on the road, at first I was dismissing it as a rock coming out of the tire, but now I think it is the Anti-Lock braking system. But with all this talk about strut problems I will have to keep an eye on things. I have 5700 miles on my truck now, and other than that noise each morning everything is smooth. No water, no whistles and only the slightest noise in the steering wheel when I do something odd to it (I can't recreate it for the life of me, but it happens when I drive a little more tired than I should, I consider it my early warning system).

·
Registered
121 Posts
jna said:
I had the exact same problem and it turned out to be lubrication of the struts. The dealer fixed this under warranty and haven't had a problems since. I also had the steering wheel creak problem (different than the steering clunk) and there was a service bulletin on that. The dealer fixed it but messed up my steering volume control so I had to take it back a second time. Everything seems fine now. Good luck, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
captmiddy said:
I have yet to have any problems like this, I do hear a clunk every morning I drive the truck in just about the same place on the road, at first I was dismissing it as a rock coming out of the tire, but now I think it is the Anti-Lock braking system. But with all this talk about strut problems I will have to keep an eye on things. I have 5700 miles on my truck now, and other than that noise each morning everything is smooth. No water, no whistles and only the slightest noise in the steering wheel when I do something odd to it (I can't recreate it for the life of me, but it happens when I drive a little more tired than I should, I consider it my early warning system).
It is not the ANTI LOCK system, that happens when the truck is moving down the alley (usually within the first 15-30 seconds after putting it in drive), this noise happens when the truck is coming out of the garage even if you are sitting still and you turn the wheel slightly you hear it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
jna said:
It is not the ANTI LOCK system, that happens when the truck is moving down the alley (usually within the first 15-30 seconds after putting it in drive), this noise happens when the truck is coming out of the garage even if you are sitting still and you turn the wheel slightly you hear it.

YES, i have the same issue....its not the anti-lock mechanism..........feels like its in the suspension. can feel it in the steering wheel when it happens. trying to find a time to leave at dealer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
jeffiam said:
YES, i have the same issue....its not the anti-lock mechanism..........feels like its in the suspension. can feel it in the steering wheel when it happens. trying to find a time to leave at dealer.
It's the struts. I know it doesn't make much sense but that's what it is.

·
Registered
85 Posts

jna said:
UPDATE NEW NOISE;
Took it to the dealer last week, after dismissing the forum as not being an accurate source of information (very annoying) he went on to show me how there were no service records in the Honda Data Base that showed any problems with struts.

This is exactly the sam noise mine was making and yes, mine got progressively worse too. I hope Honda is taking note of these dealers unbelievable level of "service". What should be a quick fix turns into repeated and frustrating visits. Perhaps Honda should start to certify dealers as GOLD or something like that based entirely upon customer ratings!

By the way the problem was fixed...just a dab of lube on the suspension plate...but my truck needed an alignment...the dealer decided it would perform the alignment with a little persuasion....

·
Registered
1,219 Posts

kbird said:
jna said:
UPDATE NEW NOISE;
By the way the problem was fixed...just a dab of lube on the suspension plate...but my truck needed an alignment...the dealer decided it would perform the alignment with a little persuasion....
I've seen this fix more than once, and I can't believe that a dab of lube fixed it. What happens when the lube wears away. Then again some fixes for the same symptoms was to replace the struts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update: I have my vehicle back. The front struts were replaced. The noise they couln't figure out turned out to be a motor mount that had only been tightened "finger tight". They checked the others, and they were OK. They tightened it, and all my clunks etc. are gone. I asked them what the factory said the fix was w/ the w/shield. They had some designated spots they were supposed to put some type of "foam" in. It didn't work on mine. It sounds very windy. They have a w/shield repair guy coming, and they have ordered a new w/shield "just in case". They will expect to hold my truck for a couple of days more when the glass comes in. My rear AC vent is on order still too. Hope all that is the end of it. Felt good to return the "smoke wagon" and get back in my truck - dirt and all!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts