Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took home a new blue Ridgeline RTL (pix here http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=33717#post33717 ) yesterday and went for a 150 mile trip in it today, and I can now understand why so many people are enamored by this truck! It's a true utility vehicle but its ride and handling are more like a car. It was a breezy day today, with 40 mph gusts, and the effect on the RL was barely perceptible. By contrast, the Explorer it replaced would have been pushed around quite a bit. I'm looking forward to travelling many more miles in the Ridgeline!

A few random thoughts and observations:

- An umbrella fits perfectly between the rear seat headrests and back window (we just had 8 straight days of rain here!).

- I'm curious to see if RL owners wave to each other. So far I've seen only one RL on the road, and that was when I was on my way to the dealer to pick up my RL!

- This forum has not only been a great resource of RL information, but I'm very impressed by the caliber of people who post here (especially ladyridge, she is amazing)! If I didn't have work commitments I would seriously consider attending the upcoming 'Roc @ The Rock'! I'm sure all those who do attend will have a great time.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Congratulations and Welcome!!!

We drove about 4 hours today round trip. We saw a total of one other Ridgeline on the road today. It was blue with roof racks heading south on I -181. We were too far away to wave, but we certainly waved in spirit!

Isn't this a great forum? We are newbies also and are so so grateful for this site. The folks that post here are the best!

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Hey dbb,

Sounds like a nice drive! I’ll be going to Vegas from SoCal in November for the SEMA Show. It will be the first trip in ours since we got it. Does the umbrella handle rattle on your rear window? Ours did so I tossed it under the back seats. I wave to all Ridgelines when I see them, most wave back, some don’t. I’ve been all over the other Ridgeline related forums but there’s no place like “Home” Welcome to the best RL forum on the web.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5S Dude said:
Does the umbrella handle rattle on your rear window?
I thought it might but it doesn't; the trick may be to not roll it too tight.

Additional observations:

- The area between the hood and windshield is a major leaf-catcher in the autumn! In the winter it's probably a pretty good snow catcher too, although the manual mentions a heating element in the windshield which may help to deal with this.

- Speaking of windshields, I imagine replacing a Ridgeline windshield would cost several hundred dollars. I've had to replace the windshield on my last 3 cars, 2 Toyotas and a Ford Explorer. As I recall, the Toyota glass cost around $400 each, the Explorer around $125.

·
Registered
218 Posts
dbb said:
- Speaking of windshields, I imagine replacing a Ridgeline windshield would cost several hundred dollars. I've had to replace the windshield on my last 3 cars, 2 Toyotas and a Ford Explorer. As I recall, the Toyota glass cost around $400 each, the Explorer around $125.
Welcome to the forum first of all and enjoy your truck. I hope I don't have to find out how much a new windshield for the Ridge is...I've gone through 4 windshields in my Mini Cooper in under 3 years. Hopefully that won't be the case with the Honda.

Oh and yes, wave and beep your horn at other Ridgelines! :)

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of RL ownership, dbb.

·
Registered
67 Posts
driving on a main street... another red ridge was heading my way... made eye contact and waved at each other... my wife thought that I was in some elite club or something... who would of thought?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I saw another red here in Edmonton for the first time....but I was driving my damaged 1990 Mazda MPV....also red.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More impressions:

- The more I drive it, the more I like it :) It feels really solid and handles nicely. It will be interesting to see how it handles snow and ice.

- I like the moveable partitions in the lower part of the center console, nice touch.

- Selecting a climate control 'mode' is a bit of a pain though. I'm used to a knob and if I want 'defrost' I can quickly twist it to the 'defrost' position and get back to driving. The mode switch cycles through all the choices so if you want 'defrost' you have to push it and look for the little 'defrost' symbol to show up on the 'climate control' screen, so you spend much more time not paying attention to the road. Over time I'll probably get a better feel for it but for newbies like me, this is a problem and it's potentially dangerous.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Shingles is correct. The defrost button immediately puts it in defrost mode on high fan speed.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
shingles said:
I think there's a windshield "defrost" button so you don't have to cycle through the modes.
And, pressing the "defrost" button a second time returns you to your previous setting. So, if you need a quick defrost, then back to normal you can cycle back and forth easily.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
shingles said:
there's a windshield "defrost" button so you don't have to cycle through the modes.
Thanx all for pointing this out, I can't believe I didn't notice it! :eek:

·
Registered
383 Posts
swampler said:
And, pressing the "defrost" button a second time returns you to your previous setting. So, if you need a quick defrost, then back to normal you can cycle back and forth easily.
Thanks Swampler! I did not know that. I could have used that this morning (and for the rest of the impending winter) to go back to my normal settings.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've had my RL for about a month and have 1300 miles on it so these aren't '1st impressions' but I watched the 'recommended video for newbies' so I'll refrain from starting a new thread :)

The build date is 7/05 so my wife has to remember to unlock her door when we park :rolleyes: but so far there have been no interior leaks or any of the unusual noises others have reported. However, a few days after picking it up, the A/C stopped working (good thing I didn't buy it in July!). I left it at the dealer and they found a problem with the main fuse block. They were able to repair it but they wanted to order and install a new one at my convenience, which was fine with me. They took care of it yesterday, so at least for now I have a faultless truck :) (BTW, the loaner car was a Civic; it's a nice car but to me it's like a go-kart with a roof, it feels like I'm sitting about 2 inches above the pavement!)

Speaking of the A/C, my experience so far is that if I leave the climate control set to Auto and A/C on, I average around 19 MPG, but if it's set to Auto and A/C off, I average around 20.5 MPG.

I still have yet to encounter another RL on the road since I bought mine, although I did see a white one last week in a parking lot a few miles from where I live.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hey dbb, thanks for the update. Sometimes it's hard to remember to post generally good comments about the truck, when a lot of time we're just seeking out advice for problems/concerns...

I bought mine at the end of July, and it now has about 2800 miles on it. We don't have the auto-unlock of all doors, so I just disabled the auto-lock. I love the truck -- it's a joy to drive every day.

As far as gas mileage, well, I don't think we've seen better than 17 mpg, AC or not. We drive canyon roads to and from work, and, well, I'm not so gentle on the acceleration... so I think it's just the price I pay for being the kind of driver that I am. :eek:

In all, as a "new owner" I'm also very pleased with the truck, and am looking forward to my first road trip in it. My family is coming out here to SoCal for xmas so I'll be showing it off to everyone -- fun! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts