Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Middle Maryland. I brought home a new 2021 Ridgeline yesterday, exactly the version I was looking for (Sport, no packages, black). It seems to be a nice truck, certainly it's a bit more refined than my previous trucks (89 Mazda pickup and 96 Toyota T100). Having moved to a 55+ condo community 8 years ago I didn't expect to ever get a truck again, but now I'm moving back to a house and I need something for all those home projects.

Since I was particular about what I wanted I was glad I could get exactly that one. Gotta say buying it was interesting, I knew one dealer had the exact one in stock and I requested an email price. When I got it I couldn't get the price to work out anything close to what the "build your own" on the Honda web site said it should cost - it turned out they were adding a $3000 "market adjustment" above full MSRP. Huh?!? Yeah, sorry, I've never paid even MSRP for a vehicle and I won't now. So I used my credit union's buying service and got a bid from the dealer that was $1700 BELOW the MSRP - needless to say I put down a deposit by credit card over the phone to hold it until I could get there 3 hours later.

I only have the drive home from the dealer as experience, so far I think it drives nice (ride is good, handling is adequate, it tracks well on the highway) but I don't care for the lane assist feature (glad it can be turned off), I won't use the engine off at stoplights feature, the headlights are pretty good on low beam and very good on high beam, and while I know the gas mileage readout is "optimistic" as it is in all cars, it was still pretty impressive to be in a vehicle that large and be showing over 32 miles per gallon, even if that won't hold up over time. Hopefully it's a long and fulfilling relationship.

·
Administrator
19,659 Posts
Welcome to the Ridgeline Owners Club, @AutoXer!

...the headlights are pretty good on low beam and very good on high beam...
You, kind sir or madam, must have superhuman night vision. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the Ridgeline Owners Club, @AutoXer!

You, kind sir or madam, must have superhuman night vision. ;)

It's sir, though my friends would laugh at the idea of anyone calling me "sir" unless it was in sarcasm.

Actually my night vision isn't much to speak of anymore, plus my assessment of the headlight quality might be based on the headlights in my '08 Subaru Legacy, which are the worst headlights I've suffered through since the ancient days of sealed beam headlights (before quarts halogen bulbs!). In fact, my ladyfriend drove the Subaru back from the dealership, and when she got out of the car the first thing she said was "those headlights really suck!". They are awful. A more fair comparison is against my '19 Volkswagen, and up against that the low beam on the Ridgeline is definitely not as good, though the high beam is a bit closer to the VW. All the headlights pale in comparison to the 7-inch round Hella European EC Code lights I put in my '91 Mazda.

·
Administrator
19,659 Posts
"Based on data from 24 vehicles, 326 fuel-ups and 97,276 miles of driving, the 2021 Honda Ridgeline gets a combined Avg MPG of 20.23 with a 0.22 MPG margin of error."

That number is easy to exceed if you always drive downhill with a tailwind. :)

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,707 Posts
Welcome to the Ridgeline Owners Club, @AutoXer, from another T-100 owner. The Ridgeline ride quality is superb. Glad you got the truck you wanted at a discounted price.

·
Administrator
19,659 Posts
@AutoXer, I'm so sorry, but I accidentally deleted a couple of your posts while organizing posts. There's a bug that causes unintended posts to remain selected when moderators perform certain actions and yours fell victim. Please repost those replies if you remember what they are. I've communicated this issue multiple times to the forum owners, but it's still unresolved. I'll try to watch it more carefully.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Congrats--need pictures!

I had a pretty painless experience, though it was a little involved getting them to buy me out of my prior Tacoma lease early (which they did).

I got about $1000 off MSRP, which I think was good considering the demand for vehicles these days.

I love those old trucks btw--my ex-FIL had a Mazda B2000 which was a great truck--but you will appreciate the more refined ride of the Ridgeline. I am just loving mine--everyday is a relaxing driving experience, meanwhile not having to worry about every pothole or defect on the road and knowing you can haul 1500# of crap to the dump if you need to!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@AutoXer, I'm so sorry, but I accidentally deleted a couple of your posts while organizing posts. There's a bug that causes unintended posts to remain selected when moderators perform certain actions and yours fell victim. Please repost those replies if you remember what they are. I've communicated this issue multiple times to the forum owners, but it's still unresolved. I'll try to watch it more carefully.
I believe the missing post was along the lines of "I know the miles per gallon readout is bogus as it is in every vehicle I've had one in, so I know 32 miles per gallon won't hold up in the real world."

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congrats--need pictures!

I had a pretty painless experience, though it was a little involved getting them to buy me out of my prior Tacoma lease early (which they did).

I got about $1000 off MSRP, which I think was good considering the demand for vehicles these days.

I love those old trucks btw--my ex-FIL had a Mazda B2000 which was a great truck--but you will appreciate the more refined ride of the Ridgeline. I am just loving mine--everyday is a relaxing driving experience, meanwhile not having to worry about every pothole or defect on the road and knowing you can haul 1500# of crap to the dump if you need to!
I'll take a few pictures later today. I'd say that the $1700 off MSRP that I got was effectively less since in Maryland they charge "processing fees" and such ($499!), but then it would have been regardless of which dealer I bought it from in Maryland. Compared directly to the other dealer who wanted $3000 over MSRP (who was also going to charge that same processing fee) it was a good price. I guess I'm old school - I've never paid MSRP and I didn't want to now (though I probably would have to get the exact truck I wanted), but I certainly will not pay $3K over MSRP. The price difference between the two dealers ended up being $3987 - definitely a no-brainer!

My Mazda was a B2200 (I think I dated it wrong in an earlier post, it was an '89) and I loved that little thing. Not the epitome of refinement (compared to anything today an old Mazda truck isn't going to be), but it drove well, handled very well, was reliable as all and met my needs (though with a full bed of bulk mulch the acceleration with the claimed 85-horsepower 4-cylinder motor was leisurely at best, and stopping with that load was "an experience to remember").

One thing I noticed when I drove the Ridgeline back from the dealer (some 63 miles of almost all highway) was exactly what you noted, that it was relaxing to drive. Fortunately it was relaxing in a manner than is the opposite of my old Subaru, whose flat-4 motor is "relaxing" in a "puts you to sleep" way. The ride was nice despite the dealership having too much air in the tires (40-43 according to the TPMS readout) so I can't wait to see how it rides with proper air pressure. And I look forward to making dump runs too! :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just FYI my tires were at 36-37 PSI. I checked the MPG with my first new tank, and it was spot on for the truck computer. I realize this is not everyone's experience. I will check it again periodically just to keep an eye on it. Right now I'm at about 20.5 MPG. This is at least 3 MPG better than what my Tacoma was getting.

I bought 2 vehicles in 2 weeks...LOL. I bought the Ridgeline, then my Mazda dealer persuaded me to trade in my '18 Miata for a '21--basically just extending the lease, no money out of pocket, no higher payments even though the new one was an upgrade. It was too good to pass up.

In both cases the buying process was pretty painless. The Honda guy gave me a pained look when I declined the extended warranties, but otherwise it went pretty quickly as these things go.

Oh that does remind me I am due for a colonoscopy...

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
498 Posts
Ya'll are lucky, it took me three dealers to get a Ridgeline. The first tow were just plain full of themselves (big city dealers), so I went out in the country and got a decent deal. Not outstanding, but 1K off sticker, and a little more on my trade than CarMax offered. My truck is getting better on mileage, 25-27 now, but I do drive in ECO mode, and have 39 PSI in my tires. We do need some pictures though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just FYI my tires were at 36-37 PSI. I checked the MPG with my first new tank, and it was spot on for the truck computer. I realize this is not everyone's experience. I will check it again periodically just to keep an eye on it. Right now I'm at about 20.5 MPG. This is at least 3 MPG better than what my Tacoma was getting.

I bought 2 vehicles in 2 weeks...LOL. I bought the Ridgeline, then my Mazda dealer persuaded me to trade in my '18 Miata for a '21--basically just extending the lease, no money out of pocket, no higher payments even though the new one was an upgrade. It was too good to pass up.

In both cases the buying process was pretty painless. The Honda guy gave me a pained look when I declined the extended warranties, but otherwise it went pretty quickly as these things go.

Spot on is rather amazing. The closest I have is a BMW motorcycle (please don't judge me, it's the cheap BMW) that's within 1.3%

Okay, so far I share in common with OmahaJeff having owned a Mazda B-series pickup, Sparkland a Toyota T100, and then to double down on it with OmahaJeff, owning a Mazda Miata! Mine is just a little older though - a '91 that I bought new and has exactly 50,000 miles on it. It was mostly just driven on Sundays ... in parking lots ... around traffic cones ... :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I think they go to school to learn that pained look.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is a black truck! Looks awesome!
Thank you! When I saw it in black my first thought was, to my eyes, it looks so "right", and I love the dual exhaust tips even if it isn't a true dual exhaust. I wouldn't mind swapping to some silver wheels for a little contrast, though.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
498 Posts
Nice looking truck, you got lucky and wasn't stuck with a roof rack and running boards, now I really want to take mine off!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts