Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all. Just getting used to my new 06 and the very short bed. I am used to a full sized F-150. I do some landscaping, feed hauling, kayaking and camping and am figuring out how best to fit it all. I bought this used one as a precurser to maybe buying a brand new one in a few years and doing some serious traveling/ camping in it. We spent 4 weeks in a Spaceship toyota minivan in New Zealand so I am sure we can handle the major upgrade to the Ridgeline. I do not have maintenance records for the ridgeline and am wondering if the timing belt should be replaced. And why does it even have a belt? My Honda fit has a timing chain. I am hoping that the new models have gone to a chain as well. Is the Ridgeline engine one that will self destruct of the timing belt goes? How likely is it that my truck will rust out? It has none yet but that is what killed my 1994 Ford. Should I have it undercoated? What about a truck cap I can set up for sleeping? Any suggestions?
Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome, I just bought an 06 a couple weeks ago!

1. The dash computer has a "maintenance minder" and will spit out a code when the timing belt needs to be done. As a rule of thumb, every 100k miles. Yes, the engine will self-destruct if it breaks. It's too bad it's not a chain - this is my first timing belt engine as well. All my previous vehicles have had lifetime chains.
  2. If you're near 100k miles and don't know if it was done, you should probably just do it.
  3. Someone will be along to tell you to replace the radiator as well (proactive maintenance to keep the transmission from imploding).
  4. Rust wise, my 06 is nearly spotless, almost no rust. I'm not sure if this is common or rare, I'd be interested to hear from other owners. I'm guessing since there is no hollow frame to rust out, and rather a sealed unibody, they aren't as bad.
  5. I'm personally going to get mine fluid-filmed this fall. I think the previous owner never drove it in the winter. I certainly will.
  6. You can get a truck cap, personally, I think there's more room to flip up the rear seats and sleep on the floor in there. Leave the truck bed for luggage, etc.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
If no records, then you'll diffently have to look into fluids. All of them. Have all of them changed at a dealer. Depending on mileage you'll have to decide if you want to ( just start fresh) and get it done.
Depending on where you live, you'll have to maybe do some reasearch. On the under coating. My 2010 lives in CT. So far no real corrosion on undercarriage. In garage at night. Knocking on wood right now!!
On the cap I have no experience . Have seen a few that look really nice and some that look not so nice. One thing though, I think once you put one on it stays on. No easy to take on and off easily. I think I have seen a removable tent setup you'd have to search for it.
By the way welcome to the ROC. And star enjoying your new to you RL. ?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,582 Posts
+1 on Fluids
++1 on Radiator with the timing belt, although it's an easy enough DIY, and the savings can more than cover the expense of all new fluids, if DIY willing & capable, more on that later. Search SMOD (Strawberry Milkshake of Death) from the cross contamination of Antifreeze & Transmission Fluid.

... I do not have maintenance records for the ridgeline and am wondering if the timing belt should be replaced. And why does it even have a belt? My Honda Fit has a timing chain. I am hoping that the new models have gone to a chain as well.
Is the Ridgeline engine one that will self destruct of the timing belt goes?
Honda V-6 engines, in 2006 and 2017 are an "interference engine" and Yes the valves will "crash into the pistons" if the timing belt fails, because that is how Honda engineering designed it, other manufacturers use belts and interference engines also. Timing chains fail also, so belt vs chain? I believe the Ridgeline will get away from the timing belt when it gets a Turbocharged 4 Cylinder, but that's an entirely different conversation.

Timing belts are more robust than say 20 years ago, recommendation used to be 5yr/60k with my 1996, when I purchased my '06 the owners manual was 105k/7yr, later Honda removed the year increment. I personally don't drive my '06 as much as when I first purchased it, I also live in an extremely dry desert climate. I changed my timing belt @ 75k/10yrs, but I recently read of a member who replaced his @ 214k after seeing the 2017 introduction, IIRC. If you have no records, and the seller had no records, more than likely, it was traded or FSBO, rather than deal with the timing belt expense. Question is "DO YOU FEEL LUCKY"

How likely is it that my truck will rust out? It has none yet but that is what killed my 1994 Ford. Should I have it undercoated?
Well Wendy, since your profile is incomplete, but you've already lost a vehicle to rust, I'm guessing you live somewhere that road salt, brine or chemicals are used in winter. I've seen both ends of the spectrum, some where the rust was pretty bad, and I know there are members in MN, PA and IL some with extremely high mileage with little to no rust. But that's all about maintenance, or "upkeep" are you willing to put effort into keeping the salt cleaned off as often as possible, washing or getting the car washed after severe winter weather where road salts and the like are applied to the roadways.

Personally, I don't like being cold & wet, so for me DIY that task in the cold of winter, "HELL NO", I'm not even a fan of washing here in Sunny Southern California. If it was me though I would check into "fluid film" and get familiar with the vB search here on the site as there are several posts currently in the G2 section discussing it, and if your willing even some have or are going to DIY it. Either way, thoroughly inspecting and treating the rust, maybe more so with undercoating as it's a semi-permanent. Sealing of the metal surfaces with undercoating, if existing rust is under it, then it will continue to rust, even though it's hidden, for now.

What about a truck cap I can set up for sleeping?
From your earlier description, sounds like you will need access to your truck bed as a truck bed. You might want to check into a Softopper and also look for a "Truck Bed tent" using the site search "vB Search" or once in the 1G section, use the button "Search this Section", one member uses a tent which was designed for the Chevy Avalanche, He'll admit, "it's a little big, but it works"

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Like I said earlier, maybe update your profile, Include YMM, and at a minimum a general location, of where you/your G1 are at. Also maybe some details, like mileage, now or when purchased, so we can help you "prioritize" what can/should be done, also rank the simplicity of DIY. If you're willing to change your oil, all the fluids are pretty easy/comparable vs an oil change.

Occasionally a few members have gotten lucky and called the "local" to where purchased Honda dealer and the vehicle has been maintained at that dealer, and especially in person, some have had the dealer give them a full printout of the vehicle's history. Unfortunately if the vehicle has moved around a lot, Honda doesn't share all that across the company network or maintain a database. Also some dealerships & non dealer service centers report to CarFax, So it might be worth investigating that.

Also the HONDA OWNERS LINK does allow you to register (with the VIN) and enter your own records, I'm unsure if the PO did that, if it would move the data across, just don't know, maybe someone else knows? Another few valuable tips, with Owners Link, you can get a PDF of the most recent owners manual, (current or up to date, for your '06) and if you have the factory radio, your Radio Code, needed when replacing the battery. Also check the Battery Age (Health) these vehicles do whacky stuff when the battery is weak or failing. A common question is, "HAVE YOU REPLACED THE BATTERY"

Here are most of the related Radiator and Transmission SMOD threads, if you haven't found them.

Happy Reading & Good luck

Radiator Failure @ Cooler Lines

Best Radiator Replacement

Pictures of Corroded/Rusted Radiator Fittings

Radiator Fail on 2006

UOA on ATF

Anatomy of OEM Denso Radiator

Poll(Never Posted) on Radiator/Trans Cooler Solution

Recent Radiator/Transmission SMOD!!!

Radiator comparison: Denso/Spectra/OSC

Catastrophic transmission/radiator fitting failure

Reactions: tmy3329