Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
@douglas685 Here's a tranny fluid change spreadsheet you may be interested in.

RL transmission fluid dilution chart 100.png

·
Registered
16 Posts
SMOD!!! There is a flaw in the 2006-2014 Ridgeline's radiator design that causes the lower radiator fittings to fail--due to rust caused by the use of dissimilar metals--which can cause radiator fluid to mix with the transmission fluid from the Denso radiator's built in pre-heater that leads to a catastrophic engine and transmission failure. Mixing of these two fluids creates something that resembles a strawberry milkshake; we call it the Strawberry Milkshake Of Death or SMOD.

There are lots of threads and posts on this topic for you to read and see pictures of. It is hard to see and diagnose early so some suggest replacing your radiator at the tem-year mark. A Denso radiator is not that expensive and easy to replace.
Thanks for the radiator tip, as I have a 2007 as well. So, the problem was corrected in the currently-available Denso?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I currently own a 2017 Ridge, grandson has my 2006 with 210K miles. Agree on the radiator, it went at about 150K miles, lucky just pumped the tranny fluid on the road, of course had to be towed from there. The starter went around 210K miles, about $700. Each of the torsion bar links went over time, roughly 150K to 200 K miles. While replacing brake pads and rotors around 210K miles one of the rotors has a big rust segment that ripped off about half of the brake pad, of course all good with new pads and rotors. Key entry on the fritz, new batteries in the key not doing it. It has been in the northeast mostly, no exterior rust, but quite rusty underneath. Of course did not come with blue tooth, I put it in, it displaces the CD player. Interior roof liner over the rear seat dropped, I used some foam glue, apparnetly the header liner thing comes out pretty easy, had I known I would have done it that way. Gone thru some head lamps, easy to replace. Did all the maintenance intervals, to include new timing belt and water pump at 100K and 200K. - Bernie

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Thanks for the radiator tip, as I have a 2007 as well. So, the problem was corrected in the currently-available Denso?
Maybe, in other words, if you get a Denso radiator that was already on the dealer's shelf, it could have the old fittings or the new ones. --The old ones should last you another ten years or so, so...-- I'm do not know how to make certain you get a Denso with the new fitting design, but here is a thread with links to explore:
Old fitting design:

New fitting design:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maybe, in other words, if you get a Denso radiator that was already on the dealer's shelf, it could have the old fittings or the new ones. --The old ones should last you another ten years or so, so...-- I'm do not know how to make certain you get a Denso with the new fitting design, but here is a thread with links to explore:
Old fitting design:

New fitting design:
Thanks very much for that. I will look carefully.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
McChizzles top pic is of an OEM radiator and his bottom pic is of an AFTERMARKET Denso radiator that will not be found at a Honda dealer. . .
To the best of my knowledge, Honda has NOT changed the fittings on the OEM Denso made radiators. The "Denso" radiator that has the SMOD proof fitting (second picture) is simply an AFTERMARKET Denso radiator that can be purchased on Amazon, Rockauto, Ebay etc.
OEM Radiators are more expensive, seem to be higher quality overall, are most likely made in Japan and still have the same fittings that after time can fail and result in a SMOD incident. Aftermaket Denso is pretty much the same as all the other aftermarket radiators; made in China, Indonesia (where every cheap labor is to be found), quality control and shipping issues can sometimes result in damaged and or leaking radiators from the get go or shortly after install. It is wise to carefully inspect the radiator and if possible have it pressure tested before installation.
SMOD can ruin a transmission but all it takes is one overheating episode to toast your cylinder heads. Pick Your Poison. . . .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congratulations on getting a well-maintained vehicle!

New to Ridgeline in the past year as well having purchased a 2006 RTL with ~96K mikes currently. I guess I should consider myself fortunate that radiator fitting broke during routine maintenance this month. The dealer had to keep the vehicle for a week-and-a-half waiting for the part, but gave me a loaner HRV while waiting.

From the sounds of the comments, the local dealer here is doing a fantastic job of hitting all the maintenance milestones. I did have one of the catalytic converters go bad and the head cover gasket was leaking, but otherwise just routine maintenance. It rides almost as good as my 1996 Ford Ranger (V6 with a touring suspension) did - well, maybe equal or better but the two vehicles are different sizes and drive differently.

Been finding this forum most useful as I refresh/replace parts. Between here and hondapartsnow I’m having pretty good success taking care of niggling issues. Have a pretty good “island peel” going on with the paint, so I’ll probably end up getting a cheap paint job after I ship the vehicle back CONUS. Hawaii and Guam are great for people, but apparently not so great for paint jobs. 😁

My immediately upcoming projects include changing out an aftermarket stereo and speakers (restoring OEM subwoofer), dampening and insulating throughout the cab, installing front/rear cameras, and adding back up sensors. Wish list is a bed rack, but finding one that will carry a rooftop tent level and below the roofline is quite challenging...

Good luck and happy trails with your truck!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts